Safer Plastic Fenders For Motorized Bikes/instructions

GoldenMotor.com

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
The subject of tossing or reinforcing steel fenders comes up often.
The MB builders that live in dry warm climates just toss em as the rarely would need. But in the Midwest where it rains often and or is often muddy or the roadway is covered in soggy earth worms...fenders can seem more important.
I've been eyeing the ugly (in my Opinion the rear fender is the worst looking) but a half fender in the front just looks weird. Many types of inexpensive and very light weight half fenders available that come in many colors. Only problem is I do not like the look of a half fender as it just seems wrong. They are too high in the rear also. So below is an easy way to make full front and rear fenders that are feather light strong, cheap and should be safe. I haven't tested this concoction on the road yet but I believe it will work excellent, wont rattle, or rust. I can now add full lightweight fenders that look good for a total cost of 11.00 per bike and a little fab work. a two piece set is about 5 bucks on ebay so you need to order 4 pieces total to start. Look for plastic ones that have an arch and stay away from flat straight sided types.
Below are two pictures of what they sell and what I did by combining 2 sets The next post will show how.

Attachments

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
NOTE -These fender are very modern looking and you order the basic colors you want. You wont be happy if you have a retro look in mind... Read on...
-Play around with the look you want before cutting anything, but by using 2 complete sets or 4 pcs. of these strong inexpensive featherweight and indestructible fenders your bike will look great by building a full plastic fender vs a goofy half fender.
One could also do bobbed short plastic fenders if your just going for a cool look that really finishes of any Motorized bike in my opinion for just 11 bucks and about 2 hours work.

NEEDED 2 sets pf plastic half fenders
Hacksaw- file-sharpie marker-dremel with a small 1 inch cut off wheel-safety glasses- Philips screwdriver - small metric wrench - bracket material steel - hammer - vise to bend 2 brackets
FOR A FULL FRONT FENDER to Attach to a Springer type fork or triple tree style fork. using the center fork hole for the fender attachment points( this will work event if you have a squeeze brake going thru the hole.
NOTE for a beach cruiser fork installation should be close to the same but you may have to adjust for the extra thickness of the fork)
1 Step one is remove all the hardware, screws from the 4 pieces and save.
2 Grab a front fender and a rear fender and measure off and mark 1 1/2" off the wide part of the fender and cut off excess with the hacksaw (cuts like butter)
3 Do the same to one of the rear fender pieces but mark and cut off 2 inches.
4 Toss the adjustable seat post thingy with the plastic clamps in the junk box.
5 Make 2ea. L brackets that match the 2ea. L brackets you will already have so you have 4 total. Use similar material in thickness and size
6. Using a dremel cut off tool grind a 1/16" slot as shown in pictures wide enough for the L mounting brackets to pop thru the top of the fender as shown in photos. The silver bracket is my homemade one.
7. Flip the fender over and using a 1/8" drill, drill thru the existing bracket hole into the plastic fender. Screw the brackets to the fender using the existing hardware. Use blue locktite.
7A. Test fit the 2 halves of what will be the new front fender. The fenders will over lap about a 1/2". Use the rear part of the front fender to be the top piece in the over lap.
8. adjust anything after test fitting.
9. For the hollow suspension forks add a spacer like a over sized nut just to fill the hollow space area so the L bracket will bottom out on something solid on the back side as many of these suspension forks have a concave area.
10. Again... did you remember to use lock tight blue on all nuts before installing!
11. After installing front and rear half of the front fender you can bend it with your hand into exact final position.
12. After the exact look and clearance is achieved you could pop rivet the two halves together using small aluminum pop rivets if wanted.
REAR FENDER
just repeat what you did for the 2 halves to make the full front fender and decide what you want it to look like before cutting.
keep in mind the rear of the bike section will throw most of the water.
so I will opt for a super short down section by the seat down tube and a bigger rear section for the rear fender.

again...Play around with the look you want before cutting anything but by using 2 sets of these strong inexpensive featherweight indestructible fenders your bike will look great by building a full plastic fender vs a goofy half fender.
One could also do bobbed short plastic fenders if your just going for a cool look that really finishes of any Motorized bike. I love mine and as soon as another set comes in I will do my full rear fender in a jiff.
I am sure many guys will figure out their own way to attach these 2 fender half's to make one beautiful feather light fender. this is the way I did it.

TIP: Search: plastic bicycle mudguard in ebay and search price lowest in pull down menu.
dance1

Attachments

Reactions: zing and chmn22s

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
My banana seat is my rear fender, but thinking about a fender for the front wheel. My helmet cam on muddy trails has not been but a speckle on the case and not seen in the video. A little on my jersey and some of the helmet gets sprayed so I'll look for these.

You have a link and you buy online?

https://vimeo.com/203975237 I went a bit slow in this video, but other places the streams were not in a ravine and I sped through.

You were typing while I responded. Yeah, I'll check Ebay!

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I just go a thought when reading about fenders and maintenance and how they are dangerous if not checked often.

Since I could make fender for just front wheel, but looking at the large space behind my front wheel, I intend to check out a fender attached to the down tube. Not on the fork at all.

There are not many bikes like this, but since I swapped in a fork that had a shock I wanted and the difference comes from a 24 inch wheel designed fork on a 26 inch wheel frame.

It could double as protection from rocks kicked up and aft toward the engine mostly, but a curved forward section to stop upward flung mud.

Maybe incorporate these plastic fenders with something I also make?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Measure Twice, Here are a few more shots of a finished front fender made from a front fender and a rear fender to make one full fender.
Here is one link that will expire as all these links do but look for this style as its curved.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Mountain...437066?hash=item4d4fed5a8a:g:gJcAAOSw44BYRRMS

Here is what you get for a whopping 2.28 plus free shipping enough to make one nice full front fender. how can you go wrong?

Attachments

Reactions: zing

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Measure twice,
In your case you could just use the fenders the way they come. I really wanted a complete traditional fender look. These fenders weigh nothing and the brackets should never break. They should be way safer in use. hence my post as I could not purchase what I wanted. why did you go with the belt Sheave?
Just curious.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I built my own sheave from strong material that was free from thrown out washing machine pulley parts long ago. When I did it again a few years ago that was the idea. It ended up still as a sheave from Taiwan when pressed stamped steel as it were 40 years ago was not available, now it is white metal that cracks under the strain.

I am thinking rag joint sprocket or the more expensive clamp to axle so there no slip when going through deep water.

As long as I clean the pulley and belt with soap and water and dry, it works quite well.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I have half fenders up front and a seat post plastic on back:

As you can see the front has made contact with the tire many times.
I replaced the original bracket with one twice as thick and it still bends.
The back does the same thing. At least it doesn't wedge and jam up.
At the speeds this bike does, rough roads will bounce and bend both fenders.
I need something more secure.

I am using a parcel carrier on the other bike to get rid of the mud spray.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
I also bought thes fenders and put them on my bike, however, the rear fender snapped at the connection to the seat. I'll have to print a new parts or melt the plastic back together. However, they are great fenders!

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Ultralight, Yep the fenders themselves are strong. just make a bracket and attach to the seat stay. That seat post clamp is junk and with all the leverage its too floppy. Its why I will make a full rear fender out of two for the rear also when the parts come in. I will make the two pieces way shorter,then Pop rivet them together and connect with a strong L bracket like i did with the front.
Feather light full front and rear fenders with very little work and money.
I have only 12.00 bucks into my front and rear full lightweight fenders.
- sbest there is no hope for your fenders, LOL... Fast bikes and gravel roads and trails and indestructible fenders are really needed. I bet you will come up with something cool.
I guess they need to be a bit shorter. You could get the type above as they are curved with strong sides that wont bend. Anyhow I would trade fenders problems any day and live in Nova Scotia. Rugged and beautiful, lots of wildlife, forests, water and ocean everywhere... I bet, great people too. On my list to visit someday soon.
zip-

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I just added Plastic fenders to my Blue Bike also, as I like the looks and function of these plastic fenders.

While I have a big always on Tail light on my bikes I thought I would try one of these small cable brake lights that come on as the handle is squeezed. You can get them for only 1.39 each shipped off of ebay so I thought what the heck. I was pleasantly surprised how well it works and how bright that one Laser bright LED is.

It installed in a few seconds. So I just bought 6 more to add to all my bikes. Just another small layer of safety. Plus when I am out riding with others it lets em know when I am braking. Plus It will keep you legal in some states that require a working, functioning brake light.
here is the link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152399713100?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: zing

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
i put some SKS Velo 65's (full length) on one of my 29ers, had them on for about a year. no problems at all so far. they were inexpensive, work well, and look good. a winning combination for sure. i reinforced both, just in case.

i very much like your bike, BTW...

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks Leo, Those Velos look nice, I looked them up.
One of the Keys to safety with my my fender system, is that each whole fender is actually still in 2 pieces each with their own strong L bracket so there is less chance of a ski situation where then entire fender rotates and gets under the tire. Should mine fail the Fender halves are are very short.

Attachments