Turnigy 10.0

GoldenMotor.com

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Just got back from a torture test of sorts.
8.5 miles very soft dirt
18a/1500w CA3 limits
16s
75f degrees

The controller out in the air, not in a bag helps, warm but not cooking.
The Mac10 on the other hand got fairly warm.
At the end of the ride.
Gave it WOT for a mile mostly inclined terrain.
Then WOT and pedaling as hard as I can, got it just over 35mph.
Not to sure the Mac or my Knee liked that very much.

the 'ride by' was 28mph

https://youtu.be/4ugD1S2Go2o

https://youtu.be/vEhyFUG1rAA

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Great vids LC!

What a neat place to ride! Which bike is that, the Gravity? Surely seems to ride smoothly. With that kind of high intensity riding a 10mi range is plenty.
For that type of riding I use my old KLX250, its a blast on sand roads, but not nearly as stealthy. Has a performance pipe that pretty much dictates riding it aggressively in the boonies. The idea of a Hi Perf ebike is really appealing. The ability to rip around a cool riding area like that silently opens up a lot of areas. And the lighter weight/power of lipos just adds to it.

Congrats on your development of such a bike!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Thanks CB2!

I live on the edge of the central Oregon high desert.
Just over 1/2 mile from my house it is wide open for hundreds of miles.
Its good and bad. Usually dry and sandy.
A good hard rain can pack it down nice.
I was getting a nice line going, but so far 2 horses, 2 dirtbikes and someone in a car blasting the corners all sideways have decided to check out my line in the sand. Sigh... The horses are the worst.
Funny to film myself, sometimes I am all grouchy cursing out the people...not like I own this land...have to laugh at myself.

That is the Gravity/Mac10 bike.
This is a fun bike you can rip it around or ride it like a normal bicycle.
Just hard to ride normal with 65v strapped to my back.
Mostly just the speed that gives away the fact its electric.

Have to laugh I have a '99 KLX300 in the garage collecting dust.
Those Green machines are tons of fun too, I just seem to hurt myself on them.

/cheers

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
CB2 made a comment that I was a 'full bore rider'.
This may well be, I can get a little trigger happy. :)
It started me thinking that as I have run this line in the sand over and over and over I have gotten familiar with and faster on it.

So I went for a ride yesterday same loose sandy soil.
I rode mellow, pedaled most of the time, really just slowed down.

8.17miles/2.74ah used
16a/750w CA3 setting
16s
27mph max(3 short bursts)/ averaged 15mph
68f degrees
Everything stayed fairly cool...just barely warm to the touch.

Probably underestimated my range a bit! Depending on how you ride that is.
That extra 4cells gives it a nice boost.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I don't want to suggest these batteries to people that are not willing to, or able to monitor their batteries.

There are some Youtube vids that are a bit scarry.
Most, if not all are people that are deliberately trying to blow up these LiPo's by over charging or poking a hole in the battery.

Every once in a while someone burns down their house or garage.
Was another one here in my city, garage burnt down charging heli lipos about a week ago.

Don't leave these things charging and hope all is going to be fine.
Murphy will get you.
Don't charge around flammable items.
Don't leave/store them around flammable items.
Store them in a fire resistant container.
Charge in a fire resistant container.
Don't over discharge, 3.5v/cell min. don't go under!
You are now the battery management system, there is no auto cut off unless you use something like a Cycle Analyst 3, that can cut power at the low voltage cutoff(LVC).
If you can't follow a few simple guidelines then these LiPo are not for you.
You know who you are.

However if you can these are the way to go.
The simplicity of the 10.0 really makes this very easy to do.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well said LC!

Great advice. Any thing can happen. Safety first!

I was reminded of this yesterday when I dropped a wrench across the terminals of a battery in my golf cart. It immediately welded itself to the terminals. Blessedly I had a hammer near by and was able to knock the wrench free. It took one terminal with it requiring a new battery. That was a cheap price to pay as it could have been worse.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
HK still has the 6s/10.0 in stock east and west coast, its the international warehouse that is in 'backorder'.

Looks to be a few 6s/12.0 at the east coast store too.

They have some 4s/16.0 too!
Still no 6s/16.0 yet.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1387__85__Batteries_Accessories-Multirotor_Lipoly.html

One thing about using the 6 cell and 4 cell is that if you have any thing like a cell-log8 you will need to reprogram it every time, to switch between 4 and 6 cells. Gets to be a pain in the rear.
Its way nicer to get an extra cell-log8. One for 4 cell and one for 6.
Nice for discharging, you can set low voltage alarm.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=71621

Have to dig into HK, they just slap "Backorder" on everything.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the links and the heads up LC! Got the 6s 10ah on the way. Naturally the adapters to parallel the packs were in China only. Will check ebay. Will have to make a slide in adapter for the 4s battery tray to hold these monsters, not a big deal.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Seems all the XT90 adapters are in the land of the Panda. I will just solder some XT60s in place of them so I can use the series adapters I have. Am always nervous soldering wires as close as they are on these connectors. I do them one at a time shrink tubing one first, still!

The most the controller will pull is 20amps anyway, well with in the XT60s rating, just wont be any fun dealing with the bigger wires.

I will pair these with two 5000 3s for 15s(63v) will be a bit easier on the poor controller.
I can also just run the two 6s as the intended 48v system and the LVC will cut at [email protected]/cell.

Love the modular capabilities of this type battery.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
LC, I believe you are charging the Lipos on the LI-ion scale of full charge @4.1v? From what I remember that's around 80% charge for a Lipo. Would certainly be very easy on the packs, but you are missing a good deal of capacity correct? Especially if you are cutting the voltage in the 3.8range

Seems its 100%@ 4.20
90%@ 4.15
80%@ 4.10

Might want to verify this as its from memory, which is below its original capacity.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
regarding these series adapters. What? How? And Where? I need more info on exactly what I need for a 36 to 48 v pack. LVC is set fir 36v on my controller and I'm thinking about going turnigy but I need more info. Whats a good, cheap, setup, charger, adapters, lipo pack combo? ok I searched a little more and found these. This is going to be too easy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__53678__XT90_Series_Adapter_1pc_.html and http://www.ebay.com/itm/XT90-Connec...-Adapter-Cable-for-Lipo-Battery-/161273136767 I'm going lipo just have to decide which ones. a lot of chargers to choose from too. I'm getting lipo fever

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
LC, I believe you are charging the Lipos on the LI-ion scale of full charge @4.1v? From what I remember that's around 80% charge for a Lipo. Would certainly be very easy on the packs, but you are missing a good deal of capacity correct? Especially if you are cutting the voltage in the 3.8range

Seems its 100%@ 4.20
90%@ 4.15
80%@ 4.10

Might want to verify this as its from memory, which is below its original capacity.
yes and yes
As my normal ride is under 10 miles and never get under 3.8v its more than I need.
You can go more I just don't because of a funky knee cap that likes to pop out of place if I over do it. I have to limit myself to under 1 hour or I can hardly walk for 3 days.
Should be really easy on them but for the fact that I have a wrist that has a mind of its own and I ride in the dirt.

That 16s version is even more efficient and more fun... win, win.

With the Magic Pie 3 and 10ah LifePo4 I would get 20 miles at 20mph and use just over 7.5ah on road.

With 2 of the 6s 10.0 you just plug one to the other, positive to negative.
Super simple. 50v

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Go for the wireless connectors. In the voltage/amperages you are working with XT60s are what you want. If you want to use the LVC for 36v then tailor a 36v pack. What is the actual LVC for your controller? When using lipos I use 3.5v/cell low voltage. A 10s is 42v off charge, meaning LVC would be 35v. For an SLA(lead acid) controller LVC I believe is in the 31/32 range. The way to go is some form of voltage monitoring. The LVC is up to you. If you have a 36v system and you want to run say 48v thru it then pick the cell count. If you run 12s(three 4s, four 3s, you figure) then your off the charger voltage is 50.4v. Your LVC is then 42v(3.5/cell). Your controller may not cut it there but you will by voltage monitoring. A cheap volt meter/wattmeter/or top of the line Cycle Analyst will do this.

Summation. From what I have found most 36v systems probably have 63v caps, meaning run the voltage you want up to that value. The LVC will be all wrong as built into the controller. You must have a means to monitor voltage and cut usage at a voltage that doesn't harm the battery.

Chargers are another matter. I run two (now old school) units with multi charge plates. My units are dual voltage(12v/110). I charge 2 packs/unit. There are now many chargers that charge 4packs/unit.

LC is more up to date than I am on equipment. Hopefully he will give his suggestions. Sorry that I have sorta jacked his thread!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
regarding these series adapters. What? How? And Where? I need more info on exactly what I need for a 36 to 48 v pack. LVC is set fir 36v on my controller and I'm thinking about going turnigy but I need more info. Whats a good, cheap, setup, charger, adapters, lipo pack combo? ok I searched a little more and found these. This is going to be too easy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__53678__XT90_Series_Adapter_1pc_.html and http://www.ebay.com/itm/XT90-Connec...-Adapter-Cable-for-Lipo-Battery-/161273136767 I'm going lipo just have to decide which ones. a lot of chargers to choose from too. I'm getting lipo fever
2 of the 6 cell 10.0 will get you 50.4v off the charger.

I really like this Turnigy Reaktor 2x300w 20a charger.
You can charge both the batteries at the same time and it puts out a full 5amps...or more.

If you add a 4s...it auto detects cell count, unplug the 6s and just plug in a 4s, bingo. easy. No fiddling with settings.

Every thing you need is at HK.

I hated that E-V Peak 4x charger, Q6320AC, it had a mind of its own...total junk.

CB2 you have good feel for all the #'s and volts...your input is welcome.

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
K007
I have not used those battery alarms, seems like it might help to keep you from over-discharging, that is real bad for these.
3.5v/cell min.
You really need some way to monitor the voltage while riding...some form of voltmeter at least, like CB2 was saying.
You are the now the BMS.

Nice thing about the cell-log8 is that it has a display.
You see each cells voltage. Real easy after a ride to check the cells.
You can set the alarm to any voltage, pack and cell, different types of batteries, mismatched voltage levels, time and probably something I am forgetting.
Real neat little device.

Nice thing with these Anderson plugs is no soldering.
You can crimp them with pliers but the proper crimp tool works exceptional.
Connections are real basic with these 10.0

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
If you are low bucking a meter this is a good option, It does require pass thru wiring between the battery and load. If you are ok with an occasional check it can be be mounted close to the controller/battery pack with out extending the wiring.

Has multi functions showing consumption in watts/amps real time voltage etc. Similar to a CA in a cheap non controlling way. I have one on my Schwinn and really like it. Its maxed at 60v input, we will soon know what 63v will do to one. It also very visible outside, something most digital voltmeters are not.

I agree with LC on the Andersons. Real easy to use. I already had a bunch of stuff set up for XT60 connectors form my R/C days and just went that way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Boat-Hel...er-Analyzer-/141714507378?hash=item20fed7c672

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
How about this. 120v water proof.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-15-120V-...-Motorcycle-/251389600627?hash=item3a87fce373

Here is the HK cell-log8 page.
If you sit there looking at an item for a minute or 2, often you get a pop-up that offers you a small discount.
I sat on this page for a minute and the price dropped 2 bucks.
Check the warehouse you want.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10952__Cell_Log_8M_Cell_Voltage_Monitor_2S_8S_Lipo.html

That second link, the 3-1 has no alarm and the discharge/balance is super slow. this, not really worth it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271851628434?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Here is the Reaktor.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=70272
Dropped $128.08 to $119.25 after a few.

The power supply, there are ways to turn an old PC power supply into a power source, look on the web.
I am using this. It smells weird electrical when its new but the smell goes away. It is really loud, small turbine sound.
I aim a small 6" desk fan at mine and the PS fan hardly ever kick on, if it does its just for a minute.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17754
$65.13 to 61.62 after a moment.

Last edited: