Turnigy 5.0

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Strangely I just saw that post on the Sphere a few days ago. An elegant method! Your wiring harnesses look factory made, nice job!

So how about some details on your pack. Do you have to separate the sub packs wiring to charge them? Looks like it would take a 12s charger otherwise(assuming Im looking at it correctly).
It appears a 44.4v 15ah pack, 50.4 charged?

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I still have not used these on the bike.
My new 'pedal' bike was the intended use for these batteries but that's going slow.
Been thinking the repaired Lifepo4 battery would be dead by now but it is still working!

Right now I have to pull it apart to charge.
Use the 6 way charge splitter (like you have CB2) with the B6AC+ or I have the 4x charger (Q6320AC) and can charge in 2 sessions or double up 2 batteries and charge all at once.
I think that will get old fast and easy to plug something in wrong.

A way to charge all at one time would be nice, 12s-16s charger.
Ideas are welcome.

Thanks CB2, yep your right 44.4v.
Can be 5ah/10ah/15ah or can be a 59.2v/10ah (67.2v off the charger) with one more parallel connector (minus 1 battery) or? you can fly a heli at 14.8v?

Attachments

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Too cool LC! Love the modular concept. Not only is the pack variable but easily repairable if a cell group should fail. I have flown 5000mah(11.1v) in my FPV quads which had a good load to lift. 15min was about the best flight times from such a battery. I am really amazed that my geared 250w motor will motor me and the bike around for close to triple the time while using the same 5000ah(though 24v). For anyone with an R/C background or some one who is willing to learn the quirks of lipos, I think these are the best bang for the buck going.
Even if the C rating is over stated these cells still provide a capacity greater than most other chemistries.

May 28, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Been using these Turnigy lipos in my Racing electric RC boats for over 5 years, but only use the 40c ones, they are great and beat guys running lipos that cost over 4x as much. No ebikes as of yet but it was always in my mind to build a pack from these guys instead of paying the ridiculous prices for the ebike premade battery packs. Good to see you guys have found HobbyKing as well.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Since you are already familiar/set up for Lipos I think its a great way to go. Been buying from HK for years, once some one in the R/C club ordered and really got the stuff. These type batteries are the biggest bang for the buck and are very reliable if handled properly. The worst users were some of my fellow Heli fliers. Flew under rated packs and puffed em constantly. E bikes are(non modded controller) way easier on them than a Heli!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Do be CAREFUL with these batteries.
I thought the lipo fire thing was a bit hyped up.

Last night 12:00am some one torched their garage here in town.
Left the charger on and it didn't turn off.
4-5 fires in town I guess there has been.

LiPo safe charge bag/box and maybe a smoke alarm in the charge area would be a good idea.

May 28, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
obviously had a poor charger, all lipo chargers automatically shut off when charged, only maybe a wall wart type charger could be left on without turning off and even those for lipo have some sort of cut-off when charged

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I don't know the full details, info was 2nd hand.
The LiPo chargers I have also have a temperature probe, timer as well as the built in voltage monitoring.
I would think bad charger/practice to blame too.

Just hate to have anyone burn down cause they read this. Not knowing about the dangers.

Be safe!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I ALWAYS monitor my charging. Cant Imagine leaving the house or going to bed charging anything. I don't even trust cell phones over night. I charge in a large stainless steel pan my wife found at Goodwill that sits on a 16x16 tile from HD. All the chargers I have will time out after 90min. I have never tried to see if the charger would accept the wrong battery chemistry. Its pretty adamant about battery checking and requiring an active input from the user before starting the charge. Seems like it would be pretty hard to blame the charger unless IT fails which is certainly possible.

motortriker

Mar 5, 2012
florida
threads like this is why I leave the online ebike forums alone. :(

A local ebiker lost his home because of an ebike lipo fire. I know, it was his fault for misreading online battery advice. :(

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Never has it been my intention to mislead anyone.
I attempt to share my experience with others, not tell you what to do.

If you charge a battery without knowing what all is involved I have to say, Do so at your own risk.

Its really not that hard to take a few simple precautions to protect your living space. LiPo safe charge bag, smoke alarm, don't leave charger running overnight or when away.

Also lithium type batteries seem to get all lumped into one, there are at least 3 types that I know of and all are different voltage, know what kind of battery you are actually running before you start charging.

Me, I am over the noise of them gas burners. For now.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's not so bad. Guess your charger times out once?
Its funny I have the same fan. Really keeps the charger cool!

If there is a disadvantage to this type pack its having to discharge it if you don't use it. That takes longer!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Can set this charger to 720 min on the safety timer.

Yep I believe in keeping stuff cool to make it last.
PS3 has the same fan pointed at it.

Had that aluminum cooling tray for the netbook, works good tor the charger too.

CB2
Sometimes I wonder if you are not here in the garage having a beer with me.:)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's cool having that kind of duration, mine times out at 120min. I run two chargers so it cuts down the time to under the time out, plus gets it done quicker.

Rest assured Im not there, if I was we would probably be in a bit more trouble than we are now! Cant imagine what kind of hooligan stuff we could turn out!