• other stain

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, thanks Tom.

I was gonna claim "typo" but kinda hard to do given where the "1" and "0" are located on a keyboard.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Home Depot called. $2,768 out the door. Had a wee bit of sticker shock and forgot to ask if that included shingles but am figuring grand total is gonna be just under $4,000. Including the electric hook up and foundation.

To be honest, that was more then I expected and gave me pause. but the joy of designated work space, the thing should out live me and the learning experience make it well worth it. Long after I have forgotten about the money. Which would have gone some where any way.

LOL, I used the word "work" and "joy" in the same sentence.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan are you doing the work yourself? I'm probably too old now but digging footings and pouring foundations and squaring it up are not hard, it has to be simple if I can do it. I forget that most people didn't grow up in a carpenters home, its surprising how much you can learn by carrying lumber while your dad and others do the work. I built my house and shop, saved a lot on labor.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeppers, doing it start to finish. LOL, what could go wrong?

Have 2 books, plans and the interweb.

Kind of amazing. There is a video on every single thing you wanna do. A while back the 50 yr old stove broke. 2 minutes of reading and popped out the top element and put the new $25 one in. Was uber cool. Would that this would be like that but am looking forward to it. Should have done it long ago.

Was just saying to Dave elsewhere, is really great to have you guys to ask and bounce ideas off.

Meaning thanks to all!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Start Googling this subject. We have played with these here for a few and they work really good! Free Heat!(^) http://youtu.be/R9bBnRQWRro
Uber cool Goat. Had been considering how to do the cowling and if a mirror would do any good.

Really is gonna be possible to do a green air conditioning/heat thing!

Also gonna do a few solar, motion detector spot lights. Inside and pointed at work bench and work areas.

Cool, cool, cool... (lol, hopefully)

Thanks!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Cool heater Goat, that'll give something for Dan to do with all his empties when he's done building.

Yea that's a bit of sticker shock there Dan, it'll pass. Once the frames up and you've started the sheathing it'll start to feel like a shop.

Remember, for squaring the frame before the roof goes on, that cross corners should measure the same. And don't forget to brace it where you want it to be before you get the weight of the roof on. It'll flex. Take the bracing off only after the all the sheathing is on, to keep everything trued.

I used to stick frame houses 15 years ago before my back crapped out on me.

Oh, and make your cuts are on the outside of the line. A skill's blade is 1/8" remember. And Greg is so right. Measure, measure, measure. It's cheaper to cut a little more off than grab a new peice. :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Permit hearing set for the 10th of next month. Then has to be approved by the historical some thing. But cool and accommodating folks

I really like our little town. Town hall folks really seem to want to do their jobs well and are friendly even when your talking about painting sheds like giant bird houses.

what would be the estimated cost of materials if bought at depot/lowes? 160 sq' like the picture?

Went to Home depot to pick up a copy of the quote. The guy made some mistakes and the actual cost for materials minus fasteners and paint is $2,500. They included shingles.

so the 12x16 under $3,000.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The wood grain is really beautiful. Real rough though.
Kinda funny, reading the plans and how2s over and over, this is no where near as hard as I thought it would be. Think it is like MB stuff. When ya first start looking at em and reading, it is a foreign language and concepts.

Really can't wait to get started.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Ron, not sure I will be thought of that highly.

Kinda funny. Carol is worried that this is beyond me. I fix our cars (non-computer related stuff) Our home appliances, lawn equipment and build our computers....

I keep telling her "Wuts the worst that can happen? screw up a cut and have to buy another 2x4 or what ever" Have to rip some thing back out if water gets in.

I was a tad intimidated but its not a maned space craft.

Really, wut is the worst that can happen? LOL, but putting a 5HP engine on a wallyWorld bicycle, she has no problem with.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan, you might have already done this but even tho I have been involved in building all my life I practice making various angles on a scrap piece of wood with a framing square. Since I don't do it but ever once in awhile it helps to refresh my memory.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is purty awesome Greg, thank you. Really am glad I asked you guys.

.flg.

This is funny. Going over the plans last night, I noticed I had to cut a rabbet cut for each of the 4 doors. I had never heard of this. So I google away on how to do a rabbit cut.

Bugs came up a lot. snork, snicker