Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycles ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 04-27-2017, 08:18 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
A impressive group of bikes indeed Rick. Nice to hear the great report on the the Harley. Another well designed and thought out bike.

Steve.
Thanks Steve I'm in the fun stage with the Pea Shooter where riding is involved and changes are hopefully few, mostly searching for any fasteners that are working loose. I am thankful for Loctite during the break in and trial runs.

As I've about got all my bikes but the HD completely sorted out this Spring I'll be starting the Simplex Copper Gator sidecar next. As it stands, especially after staring at many photos of the various rigs produced through the ages, I'm a mind to build an articulated leaning wheel design, with a brake coupled to the car wheel. I very much favor the concept of leaning the Simplex into curves while turning in either directions, without lifting the side chair. Actually riding the rig rather than driving around turns as one would on four wheels.

Since the Simplex has somewhat racy lines and it's overall height astonishingly low to the ground; I favor a side car which complements these lines as well... low slung, streamlined and lean. I'd prefer to be able to see both car and bike from curbside, so limiting the overall height of the car will be an important element of construction as well. Limiting the length of the car body to 6' or no less than 5' should be in the ball park proportion with the bikes overall length of 79".

One requirement for the car is quick detachment from the Simplex, and to leave minimal hardware on the bikes frame to suggest a car was ever attached. I'd prefer a clean frame, but one allowing for sufficient brackets to remain on the bike to permit quick, accurate and secure remounting of the car with a few fasteners. I really want this to be a dual purpose cycle that is easily broken down for storage, but quickly up and running as a complete rig.

I'm starting to get a feel some direction for the Simplex sidecar addition and that should motivate me to begin work. Rick C.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Very much looking forward to watching as the sidecar gains definition. Your plan sounds good in the broad brush strokes. I agree that riding will be a better experience if you can lean into curves. Something feels very strange about turns with a rigid sidecar and takes a lot of getting used to. I have a seat reserved up in the peanut gallery, so et the show begin...
SB
Old 04-27-2017, 07:41 PM

Looking forward to seeing the side car build as well. It's going to be a great compliment to the Copper Gator.

Steve.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Very much looking forward to watching as the sidecar gains definition. Your plan sounds good in the broad brush strokes. I agree that riding will be a better experience if you can lean into curves. Something feels very strange about turns with a rigid sidecar and takes a lot of getting used to. I have a seat reserved up in the peanut gallery, so et the show begin...
SB
Thanks to you guys. Silver bear your canoe sidecar was really what re ignited my interest in constructing my own & that's been a couple of years now. It is time to get going though I have very little time during the Summer to get much accomplished, perhaps I can just carve out a little time each week to keep the build moving ahead. I'd really like to finish before Fall and roll into Winter working on the Schwinn Panther build which probably won't be a KTM powered board track. I just don't like the look of it in the straight bar frame. Rick C.