Sudden power loss on motorized bike?

GoldenMotor.com

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
I was heading down the road on my motorized bike. It was about the 13th mile, and all of a sudden I lost power. The bike stalled out. I checked compression and the spark plug. The bike will only run weak on full choke, and is very touchy. I need answers on this. I thought it was the fuel float in the carb so I ordered a new one.a

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
How did your plug look? Did you check for spark? are all your bolts tight? You can't get answers without giving info. Check if your head bolts came loose. Are you still running 16 to 1?

JJ1

Mar 22, 2017
Rockford
Plug looked a little dark, but I know there is spark. Head bolts are all tightened up. Im still running 16:1. I think the float on the carb or something in there is causing the problem.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Mine did this and all it was was a bit of dirt clogging the main jet.
Clean the needle and seat while you're in there checking.
Good luck!

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
...and GET OFF 16:1!!! Why is this even a thing anymore? Are kits still shipping with that suggested break-in ratio? That's WAY too much oil. I use HALF that generally.

Feb 2, 2017
California
...and GET OFF 16:1!!! Why is this even a thing anymore? Are kits still shipping with that suggested break-in ratio? That's WAY too much oil. I use HALF that generally.
That's the problem, too much oil mixed with gas causing a lean condition and fouling the plug with excess oil. Yes I said, 'LEAN', contrary to what people think when mixing too much oil with fuel..... think about it and figure it for yourself.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Yep, the kit I opened yesterday said 16:1, it's so stupid. I tell people to run them at 32:1 for break in and then 40:1 after the first few tanks, and none of the people I've built bikes for have had any issues.

Feb 2, 2017
California
I don't think the guy will change his ways and will keep running 16:1 until his motor is covered in splooge....... even then he'll probably add another tablespoon of oil more just for good measure.