wheels for metric sized trike axle ?

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
does anyone know where i can get a set of wheels for a metric sized trike conversion kit ?

the drive side is 16mm with a flat and the roll side is 14mm round, bolth have threaded holes in the end. i dont think the hollow hub wheels that i keep coming up with when i search will fit , they seem to be the same size and have a hole pattern drilled in the hub for mounting on a flange.

i am at a loss here as to where to get wheels for this kit and i may have to resort to gutting out a standard tire and pressing them on the axle with custom turned aluminum bushings, i am trying to minimize the work here.

i also dont want to have to swap out the axle for a 5/8 one ether and have to change bearings and drill out all the bushings !

Attachments

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
also this will be sanded down where the mounting slots are and a 3/16th steel piece of angle iron welded on and cut with a tab on the end to strengthen it and make it mount like the standard kit does, with the tabs resting on the chainstays. then it will be bolted to the frame via the rear fender mounting tabs for extra saftey.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
well i guess i could make 4 of thease and have them welded right to the axle and laced to a 26 in rim. that would be easy, just cut a big disk out and set it up in the miller and drill 18 holes evenly spaced in each one then boar the center hole out to press on to the axle to be welded in place, bring rear end to bike shop and have them laced to a set of fat tire 26in rims and done !

maybey weld one side on and make a keyed hub for the other so i can easy take out the axle and change drive gears and break rotors/calipers and sutch

Attachments

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
alright if you face the rear of the bike the right side of the axle measures exactly .495 in or 12.65mm the left side measures exctly .545 or 13.85mm W.T.F regular hollw hubs are for 5/8ths axle bolth sides what do i use here ? what hubs am i suposed to get ?

i see 1/2 in hollow hubs but that would only fit the free wheel side the drive side is just over 1/2 in at .545 and has a flat keyway on it ??? what ?

i dont get it why make one side bigger so you cant just order a regular set of hollow hubs ?

i may order a single 26 in hollow hub wheel and have to make my own for the drive side ....

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
axle shaft itself where it slides through the bearings is .660 or 16.75mm ? are thease 17mm ID bearings and a 16.75mm axle ? seems like it....

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
ok i came across a close up picture of a trike rear end that looked exactly like mine and it happens to be the standard shwinn meridian rear axle setup 17mm. i am going to have to give shwinn a call and see if i can order a set of rear wheels.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I've only seen that style on an old Royal Einsfeld trike that I got for free but decided not to use since I couldn't find parts.

If It does already have 17mm bearings you could grab one of these for $23.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/torker-rear-axle-for-tristar-hd-17mm-diameter

but you would need these to for $4. And yes they are for the 17 not sure why link states 15mm.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/torker-tristar-rear-axle-nut-washer-spacer-kit-15mm

The standard hollow trike hubs are made to fit 35mm outside bearings just like those that are in the rear-end housing. The width of the hub from the outside flanges is 66.3mm or 2.61in. Definitely cheaper and probably pretty easy to mod one hub to fit the flat drive side and grab a set of 35x14mm bearings for the other.

And if you plan on disk brakes put them on the wheel hub if you can. I have mine on the jackshaft and it twisted my 15mm axle. But then again it's a pain to not lock them up since I use a 2stroke kit locking clutch lever adjusted so it can be used as a parking brake. If it's set anywhere near antilock then I don't have the much needed parking brake.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I've only seen that style on an old Royal Einsfeld trike that I got for free but decided not to use since I couldn't find parts.

If It does already have 17mm bearings you could grab one of these for $23.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/torker-rear-axle-for-tristar-hd-17mm-diameter

but you would need these to for $4. And yes they are for the 17 not sure why link states 15mm.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/torker-tristar-rear-axle-nut-washer-spacer-kit-15mm

The standard hollow trike hubs are made to fit 35mm outside bearings just like those that are in the rear-end housing. The width of the hub from the outside flanges is 66.3mm or 2.61in. Definitely cheaper and probably pretty easy to mod one hub to fit the flat drive side and grab a set of 35x14mm bearings for the other.

And if you plan on disk brakes put them on the wheel hub if you can. I have mine on the jackshaft and it twisted my 15mm axle. But then again it's a pain to not lock them up since I use a 2stroke kit locking clutch lever adjusted so it can be used as a parking brake. If it's set anywhere near antilock then I don't have the much needed parking brake.
thanks for the info i GREATLY apretiate it !
the axle is from a shwinn meridian trike i know this for a fact but for some reason i cant find replacement wheels for the trike !!! lol i may have to make my own drive side hub and jerry rig something for the left, my hands need to do something with it lol i am tired of looking at it !

the axle itself is exactly 16.75 but the bearings are 17mm ID ???? idk what to do or where to get parts lol

i can use a standard 1/2 in hollow hub on the non drive as its exactly .495 or 1/2 in but the drive has a flat and is .545in or 13.85mm

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
ahhhh damn it !!!!!!!!! someone bought them the day they went up !!!!!!!! i didnt even have time to put the money on my debit card !!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone have shwinn meridian rear wheels for sale ???

or know where o buy them new or used ???