curing time

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am painting the new build in more than one color, so I need to paint a color cure it then use masking tape on the new paint. How long does it need to cure before it is safe to put tape on it.

I'm thinking days here.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
About twice as long as you think it will need and use the purple low stick tape. It's more expensive but well worth it. Well it might not be worth it if you really enjoy cussing..........:D:D

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
48 hours should be plenty unless you use the sun method or a heat lamp.

Definitely buy the low tack painter masking tape too. 3M makes it in a nice blue.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The tape I have barely holds lol. I had the bike in the sun but I'm going to put it out tomorrow. I got the bulk done just need to touch up the over spray now. I'm a sloppy painter but I like to at least give quality control a lick and a promise.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I remembered something from my days painting oil on canvas junk (art they say). Anyway there is an old technique called wet on wet. I used a bit of card stock to hold over the spot I didn't want to paint then just sprayed the paint where I wanted. Kept going over it with one color then the other till both we pretty much want I wanted.

Tomorrow I will let it sun dry for a few hours then mount the electric motor.

I still haven't counted the spokes in my rims yet. I have to do that soon or I will totally forget it.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Deacon I definitely want to see some pics of this paint job your newest motorized bicycle. What did we all do with our spare time before these bicycle motors........................

Is that what you mean Cruiser??:D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was building cameras lol....

Making pictures and contributing to photo forums. It's amazing how many new forums I wrote for in the last couple of years.

I"m gonna put the bike out to cure tomorrow I'll take some shots for here and the blog.

I like this new one.. I think I have found the style I want to build in now. I am going to check with the bike shop about fixing a 3speed 20" wheel next.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Deacon-

Have you looked at/considered mounting the sprocket to the three speed hub?

I was going to do one with a three speed, but I'd have had to enlarge the hole quite a bit for it to go over the BIG hub....I was in a hurry and opted for the single speed instead.

Just a thought.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Joe that's what I am thinking. I need to get it in a better rim though. That skinny butted tire will get me killed.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You wanted pics bob well his is one but they all look alike so this will more than do. the chrome paint was suppose to accent the drop rear wheel. This angle doesn't do it justice.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i like the chrome and red has a nice contrast to it. can't wait to see it after you put the bicycle motor on it

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
How about electric and gas both?? Have the gas motor spin a big generator. Then you wouldn't have to mess with the batteries.................