drive train clearances needed

GoldenMotor.com

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
1940 Schwinn frame with a Skyhawk motor. See the attachment. This is the only configuration I'm able to come up with. I need the idler wheel as the lower run of the chain would hit the frame (the clearance now is less that 1/4 inch. I'm unable to shorten the chain any more.
The chain is rubbing the tire, so I assume I'll have to get a narrower tire? When I do the chain may then rub the fender (hard to see in the photo, but the fender has already been folded in). What about the distance I have between the upper and lower run of the chain (about an inch)? Is this configuration even going to work and how much slack should there be?

All input appreciated

Rick in Indiana

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
Removing two links will require eliminating the idler wheel, which would be nice. However, without the idler installed the chain hits on the frame due to the frame narrowing progressively going away from the axle.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I spread all my Schwinn frames without a problem.
I have had to mount the sprocket dished out and change to 1.195 tires to cure tire rub on 5 different Micargi cruiser builds.

Best frame spreader out there is the Harbor Freight tool for compressing strut springs. Just put it together with the hooks facing out
I secure an all thread bolt in the chainstays first, spread the frame slightly more than I need, then leave the spreader set and pull the dropouts together about 1/2 " with the allthread. This pre stresses the new shape for less springback and keeps the dropouts close to the right distance apart when tension is released .

Last edited:

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
So, it sounds like I'm creating a bow. When I'm finished, I may or may not need the extra washers on the axle, correct? I suppose it's trial and error on the amount to spread?