Fuel question

GoldenMotor.com

bicycle909

Dec 9, 2012
Rockford, Illinois
Does the fuel level in the tank always have to be above the carb? The reason I ask is I built a motorized recumbent that has the motor in a higher position and the tank is lower than usual, when the fuel level is down to a quarter tank I get stalling . I can restart for a short period if I choke it. Everything is fine after refill. I noticed the level is even with the carb at the 1/4 level.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A gravity flow fuel system always requires the bottom of the tank be higher than the fuel inlet of the carburetor. Liquids run downhill, right? If any portion of the fuel level is below the carb, that portion will not run uphill to the carburetor. If you want to use the full capacity of the tank it must be above the carb.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, I guess originally I thought the engine would pull the fuel from the tank, but I guess not.
Unless you use a fuel pump. I don't have a link handy but there are small diaphragm style pumps available that would move the fuel from a low tank. Maybe someone will chime in with a link for you. I've seen a couple used by our members here.

Tom

Last edited: