New engine, Stuck clutch

GoldenMotor.com

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
Howdy,
I got my new engine today and mounted it. As I was getting ready to test it I noticed that the clutch remains engaged. That is, the gear is moving freely without the me having to tug the clutch lever at all.

Here's a piece that might matter: I pushed the clutch lever as far as it can possibly go while mounting to help me get the chain on (I don't have the chain tool). Afterwards I noticed a dent on the other side of the motor. Turning the clutch that far definitely created this bulge.

I've tried tapping the motor to see if I could "shake" the clutch back into an engaged position but nothing. So yeah, did I just break my motor beyond repair before even using it or was it broken to begin with? More importantly is there anything I can do about this mess? Thanks guys.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Howdy,
I got my new engine today and mounted it. As I was getting ready to test it I noticed that the clutch remains engaged. That is, the gear is moving freely without the me having to tug the clutch lever at all.

Here's a piece that might matter: I pushed the clutch lever as far as it can possibly go while mounting to help me get the chain on (I don't have the chain tool). Afterwards I noticed a dent on the other side of the motor. Turning the clutch that far definitely created this bulge.

I've tried tapping the motor to see if I could "shake" the clutch back into an engaged position but nothing. So yeah, did I just break my motor beyond repair before even using it or was it broken to begin with? More importantly is there anything I can do about this mess? Thanks guys.
The most common problem when the clutch hits the case cover comes from the fact that the clutch gear is not seated on the shaft against the bearing.

Here I took a large socket to seat the gear all the way in.

Last edited:

b3anz129

Aug 15, 2011
Boston
The most common problem when the clutch hits the case cover comes from the fact that the clutch gear is not seated on the shaft against the bearing.

Here I took a large socket to seat the gear all the way in.
Hmmm so do I need one of those and what do I do with it?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Hmmm so do I need one of those and what do I do with it?
The clutch here is not installed, this is for show and tell. You will perform the following operations with the clutch mounted in the engine.
1) Remove clutch cover
2) Remove the pressure plate (remove star nut machine screw and star nut)
3) The clutch is now exposed. (you can now see the clutch pads)
4) Take a socket, large enough to fit over the 3 gear pins. (you want to drive the hub on not the clutch (whats holding the clutch pads) itself)
5) Hold socket and strike with hammer.
6) Tighten the clutch gear nut down.
7) Repeat 5 & 6 until you can't tighten the nut.

If you can tighten the nut after #6, then you know that the gear is not seated on the shaft.

Last edited: