what gearbox is this

GoldenMotor.com

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
That appears to be one of the newer style chain reduction units. They are usually 3:1 - 3.25:1 reduction. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to vary widely in quality. The better quality ones use multi row duplex chain while the poor quality ones use single row industrial chain. Also note the long unsupported output shaft on the new Hoot unit, (Not A Good Design).

Below are the Old (photos #1 & #2)and New (photos #3 & #4) Hoot Reduction units.

ocscully

Attachments

Hi Guys,

All the "Hoot" boxes are problematic. Both single and double chain versions have several issues that must be addressed. Both single & double have the chain [chain stretches a large amount] jumping the front sprocket and in many cases it "rips" the teeth off the sprocket. We are receiving reports almost daily about the internal '"freewheel" breaking [most are welding the unit together].

Some have tried using an internal chain tensioner, but due to massive chain stretch it hasn't solved all the problems. We are aslo receiving reports on the case cracking at the output shaft.

Sadly because of the "weed eater" style clutch and the short tapered shaft very few can be upgraded to a quality drive sytem, and this should be considered when purchasing the kit. We had a local machine shop make crankshaft extensions to adapt the Q-Matic to the motor, however the cost is too much to make it a workable solution.

Have fun,

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I have this chain dual chain drive and have had a few issues. Yes the chain does stretch, but I solved this problem by replacing them with Heavy Duty #25 chains. You can get them at the electric scooter store. Link...
Electric Scooter Chain - ElectricScooterParts.com
This fix will get you many more miles on the dual chain than you think. I'm at 1200 miles so far and no other problems. Quick take offs and a lot of hills will ruin it because it is mainly made for pocket bikes, which are low weight and mostly driven on flat streets.
I also replaced all the grease with White Lightning which I prefer on chain, less slip. Change your chain regularly every few hundred mile, or at least check it. I bought the 10 feet of HD #25 chain and it has lasted me so far, 8 months now with three changes. L8R!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That is the same clutch bell that is used in the Grubee 4G drives......it is poorly made, mine snapped at the shaft after 600 miles. Luckily I had a heavy duty replacement in my spare parts.

The other bad thing I've seen and heard about these is the clutch shoes wear out in no time. The little gear boxes are pretty cheap however, $50-$80 from what I've seen. You usually get what you pay for....

here are some other photos of the gearbox

damo99

Mar 29, 2011
australia
thanks for the responses i was going to by that box and motor but i think i will buy this

theres not much choice in australia these 2 kits are the only 4 stroke kits i have found
the first one i posted being $320
and the 4g kit being $600+

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah, I'd take the 4G in a heart beat over the other one, even though it's nearly twice the price. Have fun with the build and keep us posted mate!

Cheers dnut

thanks for the responses i was going to by that box and motor but i think i will buy this

theres not much choice in australia these 2 kits are the only 4 stroke kits i have found
the first one i posted being $320
and the 4g kit being $600+

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
I'd love a belt drive, but I'll see how long this one lasts, so far so good. And the Q-matic won't work on the CC model HS engine. I plan on selling my latest build, then moving on to a Honda 110cc project with a q-matic drive with belt to wheel output.