Distance to ride

GoldenMotor.com

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I think it would be an ok distance. Of course it will take some time to cover that much distance. And if you got caught in a rainstorm it would be a long time to be in inclimate weather. Of course I'm a sissy when it comes to riding in bad weather....................

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
I ride 10 without a motor at 11.5 average MPH on some small hills and can do it in around 40 minutes if I am huffing. A motorized bike should be able to cut that to 20-25 minutes easy, maybe quicker.

Chitty

Jun 3, 2008
Souris Manitoba Canada
Get a good rain suit, and carry it as part of your everyday kit. I used to ride motorcycles and had a bag that held all that stuff, and it went with me all the time.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Definite an easy distance for your bicycle motor to cover....I second the 20 dollar rain suit (2 pc Stearns at W-Mart) if you plan on riding it every day.

Gronkster

May 20, 2008
It would be dependent on traffic and terrain. I wouldn't if it was city traffic but then again I'm retired, older and my reaction time isn't what it use to be.

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
My only successful trip to work and back (20 miles one way with lots of up/down) took about 50 minutes each way...not counting the two other attempts getting flats and not having what i needed to repair and taking bus and walking etc.

The main problem for me is hand numbness from the vibrations. (had the same with my motorcycle..always the throttle hand for some reason). Gonna try metal shavings from car brake lathe packed into handle bar and siliconed shut.

The main thing, which I learned from mountain biking and being supremely self reliant because you're 30 miles from a living soul, is to be prepared with every tool and commonly (and uncommonly) failed part. Each time you have a mechanical issue, add that to your bag of tricks....like the time a friends clipless pedal cleat-to-shoe-bolt came out mid-ride, and 20 minutes later we mauled the shoe off the pedal, and had to mid-ride modify a screw from another bike part to get it so he could continue pedalling...now two of those tiny screws are in my pack. And V-brake pad pins from another ride, or brake cable from another one, or the solid-wipe-on bug repelant, or the New Skin spray-on bandaid for road rash (stiiiings!) etc, etc, etc. Learn from mishaps.
I easily packed everything into a medium sized Camel Back in addition to a 100 oz. water bladder and some high energy food and...herbs. (Note past tense!) Now I've got 2 pannier bags to stow lunch igloo and change of clothes along with bag o' tricks and feel oh so free without the backpack!

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I ride this distance daily.
You will break down at first.
Flats, chain, loose bolts,outa gas, etc.
Your hands will be numb buy a pair of soft foam grips or covers.
Buy a tractor seat.

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
I have been doing the same about 8 miles each way to and from work. It takes me about 20-30 min, depending on trafic and stops. Thinking about making a trip to a friends house about 70 miles away. Setting out early sat morning, and going home sunday afternoon.