Anyone know the difference Honda ghx50 and gxh50qxa

GoldenMotor.com

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Can't find anything showing the difference between these two Honda 49cc engines but lots of threads for one or the other. Just want to make sure that I get the right Honda 4 stroke engine for my spring build....Dan

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Both have a Low Oil shutdown.

ghx50 2.1HP, 49.4cc, 12.1#, Height 13.0", Length 8.9", Width 10.8"
Honda Engines - Small Engine Models, Manuals, Parts, & Resources

gxh50qxa 2.5HP, 49.4cc 13#, Height: 13.9" Depth (Less Shaft): 7.7" Width: 10.8"
GXH50QXA Honda Horizontal Gas Engine 2.5 HP OHV

Funny what you can find doing a GOOGLE search....
No, Ron. Not every GXH50 has a low oil shutdown, they started that a couple years ago. Your links have no relevant information for the OP's question.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Can't find anything showing the difference between these two Honda 49cc engines but lots of threads for one or the other. Just want to make sure that I get the right Honda 4 stroke engine for my spring build....Dan
This is the right Honda 50 to buy cause it's the best deal! :D

If you can find a better deal please let us know. All other sellers
want a lot more for the Honda 50. The motors are all the same specs
internally.
Small Engine Warehouse: GXH50QXA - Honda Engine 2.5hp Horizontal 5/8"x1-5/8" Keyed Shaft, Overhead valve LOS 7000 RPM

I think the different letter codes refer to whether the motor
comes with a fuel tank or exhaust, but no one seems to be
selling the bare engine anymore.

Low oil sensors are easily disconnected.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
No, Ron. Not every GXH50 has a low oil shutdown, they started that a couple years ago. Your links have no relevant information for the OP's question.

Maybe you should stick to the 2-stroke section. I've already watched you strike out on 4-strokes.
Yes, that may be so (no oil shutdown) years ago, but he is looking to buy one now, not a engine a couple of years old, at least he didn't mention buying a used engine.

Latest information I can find...http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gxh50
Oil Alert
GX series, V-twin series, iGX series
Honda’s Oil Alert system helps to prevent engine seizure due to a low oil condition.
The system consists of an oil level sensor inside the crankcase. When the oil reaches a level that is too low for safe operation, the engine warns you or stops automatically.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Let's settle this right now: GXH50 all work the same, some just come with more or less equipment on them.
The last 3 letters in the model are variants. Last 3 letters may or may not be listed. This answers OP's question.

The low oil sensor used to be an option, but about 3 years ago it became standard and the engine price went up.
The days of $200 new GXH50s are long gone :(

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Both have a Low Oil shutdown.

ghx50 2.1HP, 49.4cc, 12.1#, Height 13.0", Length 8.9", Width 10.8"
Honda Engines - Small Engine Models, Manuals, Parts, & Resources

gxh50qxa 2.5HP, 49.4cc 13#, Height: 13.9" Depth (Less Shaft): 7.7" Width: 10.8"
GXH50QXA Honda Horizontal Gas Engine 2.5 HP OHV

Funny what you can find doing a GOOGLE search....
Thanks for all the input. So, this answered my question. The QXA has a little more HP than the old 50 and is .9 inches higher which should work on a cruiser frame. Planning to use the Q-matic or 4GT with $20 upgrades. Going to try the carb on the engine with the throttle kit first.

Thanks again for all your help....Dan

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for all the input. I am starting to believe that the Grubee 2011 SkyHawk 4G T-Belt Drive 49cc Motor Kit-V mount might be a better idea because:
  • The HuaSheng 4-Cycle 49cc Motor and the Honda engine are identical engines (according to someone who builds these for a living).
  • Don't have to buy the HuaSheng carb.
  • Comes with the T belt drive (recommended).
  • Now has the new and improved one-way bearing.
  • Pull start and CCW centrifugal clutch
  • Belt Drive Transmission Engine.
  • 3 pieces wide pedal crank fits big or small hole.
  • $349 with no tax and free shipping.

Again, Thanks for all the input....Dan

captzuzu

Jan 29, 2013
New Mexico
I think I found what i was looking for

Sorry birdmannn101 im not trying to high jack your post but your swinging towards the HuaSheng and so am I .

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
If you have your answer, disregard...i have a hs142 and the cdi went out. I ordered one from gas bike and it would not rev like it did. I notice that that one that came with the engine was a sq. coil w/ plug wire to inside corner. The one I got from gas bike is has a round body w/ plug wire on the outside corner. So the difference turns out to be the round body cdi is rev limited. I was fortunate to get a sq body cdi from KC. So maybe the difference is one model is rev limited. Check stats for rpm if both claim 7000.. again disregard..