What kind of lights are you using?

GoldenMotor.com

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Im looking into some lights front and rear. I've seen a few at Wal-Mart for about $20 bucks and the ones at the cycle shop are at about $30+. Any suggestions on what you guys are using? I saw a post on some 9 led flash lights from Harbor freight, which i saw for $3.99, but are they putting enough light out?

Thanks

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
hey im with kid...
whats the skippy on generator lights vs lights that hook up to the wire?
right now i have a cheap-o mounting bell light that works for now but as winter comes its going to get darker and darker. i work for UPS so i am going to be putting long hours in during peak-season so ill be riding late. looking into a more stable light.

as for the back light i have one of those 8 buck blinky lights... works great on my snail bikes

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
I had those fog lights on my Motorcycle and they work great but i Think im looking for something a bit more compact.

I too am going to be driving late so Im hopeing to work something out on a budget with not too much weight or wireing. Im going to pick up some of the Harbor Freight ones to try out.

Im going to be running a friction drive Chain saw motor so im going to look into somthing i might be able to run off of the motors power.

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I found an old Schwinn bike with headlight and rear light that hooked up to the little tire driven generator. I just installed both lights on my bike and hooked them up to the "white" wire and they work great....

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
I have a battery LED taillight that could blind you if you look right at it..

Headlights are dealt with using a 6vt fitted battery headlight on the front fender of the bike and a 3vt dynamo light (actually brighter) which runs off the rear wheel of the bike..

I have set the cycle computer on the bike up so its within the edge of the beam so I can see it at night. This is actually a legal requirement in the UK.

Jemma xx

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
whenn you say 6vt are you talking about just a counter bought light like by schwinn or Bell? The only Dynamos i have seen are online, I haven't seen any generator driven ones at the local stores like Wal-mart or Target. All they have there are battery operated ones but im not sure if they are bright enough. The ones at the cycle shops are $50+, Im trying to keep it within budget.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
I bought some fog lights $12. and led tail light $3. from Harbor Freight. With a little motor scooter battery $29. (batteries plus) they work great.
I like this setup , I need to find a battery too do you remember the part# for the battery you got? You just charge it up whenever it gets low with a regular 12volt battery charger?

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
whenn you say 6vt are you talking about just a counter bought light like by schwinn or Bell? The only Dynamos i have seen are online, I haven't seen any generator driven ones at the local stores like Wal-mart or Target. All they have there are battery operated ones but im not sure if they are bright enough. The ones at the cycle shops are $50+, Im trying to keep it within budget.
The 6V light came as part of the bike - A schwinn deluxe 7 cruiser and is integrated into the front fender with two x head captive nuts.

To be honest both together are bearable - and it means people dont miss you - but to be honest they are marginal at best for road work as if there is anything in the way you wont see it in time to avoid unless you go fairly slow and in the UK thats fairly suicidal at the times that i do ride in the dark..

What you *could* do if you have a cruiser bike is look on ebay for some of the second hand lights of that type that come up occasionally - they may or may not come with the appropriate fender. These would also work if you fitted up a metal front fender to a mtb and then mounted the light appropriately..

hope that helped

Jemma xx

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I like this setup , I need to find a battery too do you remember the part# for the battery you got? You just charge it up whenever it gets low with a regular 12volt battery charger?
( I have a better pic that has the #) but the price was about $30. I wanted one that would last an hour or so. This weekend, I'll be able to see how long it lasts. It has 2 male spade plugs that the wires connect. I use a battery tender to keep it charged.

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I bought one at a bike shop 10 yrs ago or so and its bright takes 4 AA's w/ is 6v. it was kinda expensive $30 or so but you can see where your going and others see you. It also has an adjustable beam. And I run a $2.99 led blinker in the rear.(^)

Last edited:

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Thanks For the tips everyone. its shed alot of light on my situation, No Pun intended.

Hey Motor bike, can you tell us how your wireing is setup? It looks like you have 2 leads coming off bothe terminals. Harbor freight has some fog lamps for $13. The battery doesn't look as big as i thought. I know the chinese pocket bikes have small batteries. I wonder if those would work or go out to fast.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Batteries are rated in amp hours which is a measurement of electricity and time so if I am right Ol'motorbikes battery will put out 1 amp for 3.3 hrs or 500 milliamps (1/2 amp) for 6.6 hrs and so on. So if you find the lights you want see what they are rated for you can basically pick your battery for how long you need it to last. :eek:

Of course size and price are part of the equation. I would use the same m/o as a cell phone. Pick a battery that'll last a few days and charge it almost every night. That way if you forget once it won't run out on ya'; you'll have picked the smallest battery you can afford that will do what you need!:D

Last edited:

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I thought about getting one of those Bell generator/dynamo light sets but got to thinking that going 25 to 30 mph with a motorized bike that they would eventually tear the h*ll out of the tires.

I can't wait to get the starter/generator setup so I can use real lights. Will be great!

hill climber

Sep 11, 2008
paso robles, california
one 55watt driving light from elcheapo, led side marker, 2led red, from elcheapo. 5 amp hour sealed lead acid battery, from local battery shop, $15. my car battery charger on low,1.5amp charge rate. brite like a car head light. run time about 1.5 hours. best settup i tried so far. HEY!! DO A WHEELIE! hill climber

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine

Attachments

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
In the workings is a 55-WATT car headlight, a 15W-100W alternator, tail light, brake light and a 12-volt power plug for my cell phone...and cigarette lighter....

and NO 10 lb. batteries, no charging, all night lighting as long as the engine's running.

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
My bike has a front and rear light that are both powered by the white wire. I installed a toggle switch within the wiring so the lights are optional. My lights came from a bicycle generator system of the 1970's. They perform well. I have since considered a small battery to feed the lights and then feed the battery via the white wire.