Hi, I need some advice

GoldenMotor.com

MylesHSG

Oct 8, 2009
London, UK
Hello everyone! I am new to the site and I was wondering if you guys could help.

I am thinking of making a motorised bike. I have a 20" frame montain type bike, however there is a very large space in the frame, will a motor kit fit? I have seen some nice 80cc kits on ebay, but I am still unsure as to the orgin of the kit (China)!

I also live in the UK and if anyone knows the UK laws on motorised bikes it would also be apreaciated. I am 17 years old and I dont have a provisonal driving licence yet and I dont want to fork out money on a moped, moterbike or car yet and this seems a perfect solution to my problems.

Thanks. Myles.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Hello everyone! I am new to the site and I was wondering if you guys could help.

I am thinking of making a motorised bike. I have a 20" frame montain type bike, however there is a very large space in the frame, will a motor kit fit? I have seen some nice 80cc kits on ebay, but I am still unsure as to the orgin of the kit (China)!

I also live in the UK and if anyone knows the UK laws on motorised bikes it would also be apreaciated. I am 17 years old and I dont have a provisonal driving licence yet and I dont want to fork out money on a moped, moterbike or car yet and this seems a perfect solution to my problems.

Thanks. Myles.
Here, it is leagl under 50ccs but i am in the USusflg but all respect to UK(^)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... obv I'm not from the UK but I have a few friends there that ride - to the best of my knowledge they do need be registered there, regardless of pedals/engine size/etc :(

How much ya can get away with depends on what yer town is like I suppose - but I'd recommend tryin' to get yer paperwork in order if ya can.

Good to have ya here, welcome!

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Jemma is a frequent participant from uk on this forum and over on that other place that must not be named.

;-)

She really seems to me to know an awful lot about these bikes. Send her a PM.

evogav

Nov 15, 2008
UK
Hi Myles,

I'm in the UK too and as far as being legal - theyre not sadly. You could go down the SVA route to get single vehicle approval, then get it MOT'd, then insured and taxed. You'd then need to do your CBT (compulsary basic testing) and that'll allow you to ride legally on the road. It would be cheaper and easier to buy a scooter / moped.

Its a shame really - I've rode 300 miles on mine now and loved every minute of it. Its cost me less than £10 on fuel - I'd spend £10 a day in my car in fuel to cover my 15 mile daily route!!!

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I have read many posts that say I would charged, bike takin away and so on if I got stopped. If you really want to know ask a cop. I was told these bikes are fine where I live and I have never been bothered here. They are not legal however they are not illegal. I think was the words used. Was also told if it has peddles that are required it is regarded the same as a normal bike.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Would be good if a bunch of Brits could chime in so you get a good picture of whether there is any problem there.

One other idea -- you could go electric. Those electric hubs, though much larger than a drum brake or a multi speed internal gear hub, are still pretty discrete. With one on the back, panier packs to further distract attention and conceal the batteries -- it'd be a pretty silent running, stealthy bike.