Why we're going bankrupt...a warning to others.

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just absolutely great to hear Tiger.

Before reading your terms page, I wanted to read UK laws. LOL! Man, I thought U.S. Federal laws were a quagmire. You folks have laws about laws that govern how to make laws simpler so more laws can be made. One thing really cool that I just realized reading all that was the UK and EU seem to write laws in common language. (not so much common English. I know you guys invented the language but couldn't you be reasonable and speak it my way? ...wut?)

I then read your Conditions of Use page. Really good and well written. Did you do that your self? Aside from cancellations, the one thing I noticed is the consumer has 5 or 6 years to take issue. (seems incredibly generous for the buyer to have such time) If I have that correct, how would that address a product like an engine kit or clothing or any thing not meant to last that long? Below are some of the pages I read. Also was surprised that some organizations set some policies.

Not in any way advice or the like, just asking.

Again, am just glad to hear things are lookin' up. Being your own boss can be worse then any job out there, other then all the rest. (hehe, stole that from Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchil. shhh)

Customer protection | Business Link
Dispute Resolution | OUT-LAW.COM

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
We try to please. But if someone wants to return something "Just because", we will try and accomodate, but we do have a restock fee and only refund the actual price, not the shipping. That is only fair, with our time and labor and packaging and shipping materials.

If we screw up (we be human, like most here reading), then we admit it, apologize, get the problem resolved (most likely wrong item shipped) to complete satisfaction, apologize again and say "thank you".

I must say Mike you were extremely nice to those folks. Many parts of the world, they have your cash, you are fluqed.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Did the price of petro plummet in the UK like it did in the States? I'm paying half what I paid last year for gasoline.

Jun 25, 2008
Dan - the 6 years is true but is based on "how much use and reward the product gave the customer". Pretty much its relying on common sense (which is asking for trouble!)

Brussels makes and passes laws we don't even get consulted about or get to vote on. I think that amounts to the definition of tyranny! (hardly democratic eh) Hate the EU...it stinks.

Pablo - we operate on the same basis generally, with a bit of goodwill and reason. Unfortunately, that goodwill has been abused.... Bear in mind though this has only happened since xmas when everyones purse strings tightened.

WheelBender - Well petrol hasn't collapsed, but it returned to its previous levels which was still overpriced. You realise we pay our dear friends in Westminster .75p PER LITRE for the privilege of using our cars. If it wasn't for VAT and fuel duty - yes there are two charges on fuel, we'd be paying .25p a litre!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Tiger, is good to see you. Last time I did you were excitedly making stuff smoke and go boom in your kitchen. Then nothing all day. We almost had milk cartons printed with your picture on them.

When do you get the parts to make lots of smoke and really big booms? (and send me a contact number!)

Jun 25, 2008
Probably have everything within the week got the copper piping through today record fast off eBay...just had rather a large accident with a prototype...lets just say there was a canister there was menthanol there was invisible methanol flame, dumbass goes to pour more fuel in, flame travels into fuel bottle BOOOM, LIQUID FIRE ON THE GARDEN FENCE. could easily have been my face!!!! The big plus was the fuel bottle shot back outta my hand, A JET ENGINE ITSELF!!!! Starting to sink in that this is SERIOUSLY fun.....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Probably have everything within the week got the copper piping through today record fast off eBay...just had rather a large accident with a prototype...lets just say there was a canister there was menthanol there was invisible methanol flame, dumbass goes to pour more fuel in, flame travels into fuel bottle BOOOM, LIQUID FIRE ON THE GARDEN FENCE. could easily have been my face!!!! The big plus was the fuel bottle shot back outta my hand, A JET ENGINE ITSELF!!!! Starting to sink in that this is SERIOUSLY fun.....
Holly sheet Batman. Glad you didn't get hurt or burned. is there an additive that would make the flame visible for experimenting?

The big plus was the fuel bottle shot back outta my hand, A JET ENGINE ITSELF!!!! Starting to sink in that this is SERIOUSLY fun.....
Ya'r a loon.
laff

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
After some legal research (quick googling) it appears non-refundable deposits are legal in the UK to cover sellers expenses in the event of customer cancellation. Whilst some retailers charge 50% i feel 15% to be fair. Thank you to Dan for that suggestion (you've probably ensured our survival!) Take heed all vendors. Be SURE your terms clearly state either a restocking fee, which is legal for you guys in the US, or a form of non-refundable deposit. Also be sure to state delivery costs are also non refundable. If you chaps wouldn't mind checking out our "Conditions of Use" page and consider if it's legal&fair i'd appreciate it.
I'm not much of a business man, but I learned a lesson from my father, who was a worse business man.

Some people want/demand/feel entitled to special treatment. The rules don't apply to them. The ones who make and break deals -- surely it goes especially for them.

Dad noticed, or more accurately, I noticed you could appease these entitled demanders if you gave them the discount (at purchase) they were seeking. They, of course, had no idea how much the competing shop would be quoting for the job. Just seemed satisfied to get a discount.

You might consider raising your purchase price, but it's really the restocking fee I want to focus on.

What ever you make it, they will complain. So, I say make your policy officially 25 or 30%. Then, on an individual basis, reduce it. It seems perhaps a manipulative suggestion, but I say it is a way to cope with a manipulative situation that you did not initiate.

I hope that helps.

I hate to see you guys go out of business. This is an enterprise driven more by passion than profit, it seems to me. Margins just don't seem to be that big. So it's a real shame to see members of this community getting burned outta the business.

Jun 25, 2008
Not a bad idea calgary, putting it to those levels would definitely discourage indecisive individuals, and could appease those who plead ignorance. You're right about passion over profit hence no investors!!!

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Man, I wish I could support you with some orders.

You got anything I should have?

Hmmmm, say, centrifugal clutches?

Jun 25, 2008
Hehehehe, if you're in the US i'd advise shopping around and sending me the best price to see if i could beat it. Perhaps this is why im not making much money! I really appreciate the support though....Thanks to all of you.

mostyn56

Sep 25, 2008
Forest of Dean (England)
Due to illness, I haven't been keeping an eye on this forum lately.
I am totally disgusted with the way these "mindless morons" have treated Tigertooth Bikes.
I am sure I speak for all the very satisfied customers, in wishing you good luck in keeping your business up & running.
If there is anything I can do to help, i.e. with recommendations etc. please don't hesitate to contact me.

Jun 25, 2008
We just love to give so here's an exclusive 5% discount offer only for MotorBicycling.com members

Enter this Coupon Code -MBxbT1 - (without the dashes and no spaces) when checking out for 5% off your order total with TigerToothBikes.com

expires 28/04/09 or 04/28/09 to our american friends

Thanks

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
here in the usa once we gas up and use our engines or bikes there non returnable or refundable,only parts with defects from factory can be exchanged within a short time,sorry to here how your company is treated in the uk.

Jun 25, 2008
Have included wording to a similar effect in the terms on our website. The consumer laws here are so strict that they allow customers to really hurt you. It's not that we're trying to con anyone outta cash or be unfair, but at the minute it is us getting conned and being treated unfairly! So far things have been looking up so fingers crossed the spring and summer months will help us get back in to the black

Jun 25, 2008
I feel it is important to mention our good customers namely Ibs1979, who has become a member here. He picked up a bike from ourselves that i actually tested but for unknown reasons has not run v well at all since transportation.
Now, instead of just cancelling and returning, he signed up here and did some research. He's now seemingly rectified whatever was the problem.

Now he should not have had to fix anything at all, but with his heroic perseverance and can do attitude not only has he (with the help of members here) fixed it, he says he's learnt an awful lot in the process.

I would like to say THIS is the type of customer we want, someone who is prepared to get stuck in when necessary and appreciates these bikes are a hobby. Oh and also take up our referals and become members here!

Hats off and Good work Ibs1979!

(oh and let us know if you need a new kill switch, consider it a membership freebie!)