Why not just buy a motorcycle?

GoldenMotor.com

Rnroutlaw

Nov 15, 2008
Norwalk,Ohio
Hey all, In my excitement on my (any day now) motor kit delivery I was talking to one of my friends and I told him about my project and he asked me "why not just buy a motorcycle?" So I took a minute and for some odd reason that thought never crossed my mind. In reality I guess a bicycle with a motor on it is a type of smaller motorcycle. Isn't bigger and faster always better? At least thats what I've been hearing for my whole life. I really didn't have a good solid answer for him. Weird how I don't have any desire to buy a motorcycle but I feel like a child on christmas eve when I am thinking of getting this motor on my bike. Anyone have any similar conversations with people about this?:confused:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
"Licence, ownership and insurance please". You will never be sorry with your toy, it will pay for itself in one week.

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT
Yep, what he said. I have been relocated to CT for my job, but my wife and kids are stilling in the house in Michigan. I don't want to bother with changing over my drivers license, getting a motorcycle endorsement on my license or any of that stuff. I just needed something to ride back and forth for my few mile drive to work each day.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

As above plus....I guarantee you the "coolness" / "wow" factor of a nice motorized bike will be WAY higher that that of a standard motorcycle....;-)

Andrew

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
"I can fix anything on my motorized bike for cheap.":ride2:

Out of the tens of milllions of motorcycle owners, how many of them can say that?

None, not a one.rotfl

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
First, I wanted to build something (I realize you can build a motorcycle).
Second, I'm a bit of a bicycle geek, so I have a lot of spare parts around.
Third, I will be putting two kids through college starting next year.
I did start out wanting a motorcycle, but conditions steered me to the motorized bicycles and I'm pretty happy with them. Maybe I'll get a Sportster when the kids are done with college. Cheers.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I started out wanting a scooter, because they're cheap and economical. Then I found these. Even better. I do want to buy a motorcycle this spring, but even for a cheap one it'll still set me back a few grand instead of a few hundred.

I personally don't have an issue about the license and insurance. I can take the MSF riding course for $200 and skip my DMV license test. Insurance (full coverage) on the bike I want comes out to a whopping $120 a year.

But then I get half the gas mileage, and a lower coolness factor.

So why not just buy a motorcycle right off the bat? These are fun, and cheap.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I have a motorcycle and have built a few custom bikes. But none have the feel of a motorized bicycle. It is the overcoming of problems and when it is built it is so basic. It puts us back to a much simpler time. There is no age barrior. Everyone I have came in contact with is interested in it. Kids on the block know me now. I have heard so many "I used to have something like that when I was a kid" I still like riding my Motorcycle, but for just pleasure riding I take my bike instead.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Rnroutlaw,

The following comments will assume that you have never owned a motorcycle.

I've been riding motorcycles since I was 12, (1973), I had a suzuki T/C 90. I rode this bike for two years...pushing it to the limit.

My next bike, (15 years old), was a suzuki RM125A. There were two times that I miscalculated a jump and ended up on the ground! Bruised ego, and a few other bruises, but no real harm.

Fast forward 1981 and a Honda 750/4 special. Had it not been for what I learned about how to handle a bike, I would have been dead.

I have always contended that it's best to start out light and low powered. Balance, reaction time, instinct, must be learned!

So many kids and adults go right to a heavy street cruiser or Cafe' type motorcycle, having never been on a motorcycle! It's a recipe for disaster.

Have fun with your bike! The balance and control you will learn will carry over to a MC.

Jim

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
I wouldn't overlook the safety factor.Speed kills on two wheels due to reduced reaction time.There is the added danger due to not being able to keep up with the flow of traffic but nothing like having some moron pull out in front of you when your doing 60 mph.I tend to ride as fast as circumstances allow and thus much better of with 70cc. Ron

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've always been into motorcycles, but these are just sooo much fun! I love the looks I always get from people, & everyone comes up and asks about them.

A lot of my friends & family were kinda laughing at me when I said I was into these (insted of riding my Harley), but then they saw & rode mine & now many of them are building one for themselves!!!

I grew up in Venice Beach California; There is a HUGE bicycle scene here! Every day is like a big bike show & contest of who has the coolest bicycle, & everytime we go out rollin' on on the MB's... WE WIN THE SHOW!!!

The last thing I have to say about them is... "It's really fun to just ride one to the liquor store to get a beer!" :D

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Yup, most of the people I meet in the streets would sometimes shout at me like that... I think even most of my office colleagues are laughing at me because I use it going to work. But there is one person who told me that it's better than a motorcycle. Well, here are some reasons why it is better than a motorcycle:
1) No License, road tax, insurance, etc...
2) It's portable. You can easily disassemble everything put it in a big luggage and bring it with you anywhere.
3) It's a lot lighter than a motorcycle, so say if you make a wrong turn, you can just lift it and make an instant U-turn, and you'll be your way. Power to weight ratio is much better.
4) It's economical in terms of fuel consumption and maintenance.
5) You can practically continously upgrade to better bicycle parts, and you can also customized every part.
6) If you ran out of fuel, or your engine broke down, you can still pedal your way home.
7) You still get some exercise, keeps you fit.
8) It's something unique that it is'nt just for anybody. It takes some skills or develop those skills to build something like this. Every build is unique, with a personal touch that you can't find on motorcycles that suits each and everyone's needs.
9) It's fun to ride. My friends tried it and got addicted to it on their first ride.

Need I say more?

BTW, I did ride a motorcycle once, but the sensation on riding a motorized bicycle is just different.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I wish I had seen this thread sooner. I am always making comments about why the bike is more fun. Like most of the guys here I have ridden motorcycles in my youth.

There are a few things about the motorized bike that I like a better than any motorcycle or car I ever owned.

When I ride my motorized bike I am going slow enough to actually see what is happening in my environment. I can even speak to people as I go by. I get to be part of it not just passing through it, you just don't get that at thirty five miles an hour. It's a whole different feeling/

In my case I got a big chunk of my life back because of the bike but thats a different thing. Mostly it's about pride in having done it myself and the interaction with my environment.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I want a motorcycle again because I miss that rush when entering the highway and throttling up past 80 mph without a windscreen and just eye-wear no helmet on a 1970 model Honda CB750 with a way loose steering head and slightly warped wheels everything is shaking oh yes I miss that. In my lifetime I want a Harley that feels a bit safer at speeds but I'll probably ride my motorized bicycles a lot more.
Why?
I feel 14 again when I'm on my pedal bikes.
And I honestly think I feel more manly riding my pedal bikes than I would riding a custom Harley built by someone else because all would know that the one that built THIS bike is riding it.
I feel like a kid again AND I've never felt more manlier.
It's a no brainer,really.

This is a true story for me.

I'm one of those folks that are downright stubborn when it comes to taking any meds. I came out of a quintuple bypass almost 2 years ago and since then I've had to take a whole lot of meds for cholesterol and high blood.
Well I got tired of paying for them and they were expensive so last month I went without. And the doc has to start all over with me. But when he checked my blood pressure it's normal.
Looks like no more blood pressure medicine for me.
My Bikes did that.
My Bikes did that.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I've always been bi polar and didn't know it. As a result, I stayed off motorcycles for 30 years. I began taking meds 7 years ago and got back into motorcycles. It has helped the depression like no other therapy.
Now finding affordable motorbiking is like being a pre- teen again. I just take short rides many times a day and feel great. 25-30 mph is fast enough. I use the motorcycle for the long rides and going faster to fulfill (need for speed).

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
Just discovered this thread
Since I have my mb I visit my relatives
Since I have my mb I pedal (a bit) daily
Since I have my mb I buy cheap bicycle parts to customize my ride
Since I have my mb I don't get mad at traffic or other drivers
Since I have my mb I have more money in my account
Since I have my mb I save almost an hour daily
Since I have my mb I am rediscovering my city
And more reasons
Lets spread this way of transportation
Jose

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
An engine less than 50cc and placed on to a bicycle to assist you in pedalling is still a bicycle and not a motorcycle. So far, from my Research, here are the classes I have found.

Bicycle-Motor Assisted bicycle
moped
scooter
motorcycle.

A bicycle with motor assist is much less than a moped and in many places is still classified as a bicycle. In Some places it is moved up into the moped Class and Mopeds are Regulated the same As the less than 50cc scooters in some places. So check your local laws. That means you have to be 16 with a valid drivers license. But still, no M Endorsement, no insurance is required, no plates, no registration where I live none of these are required, but check your local laws to see how it is where you live. And of course.. There are motor cycles. They Require M, License, Insurance, Registration, Plates, Ect ect Ect... And then there is NY. Mopeds, MAB's, Scooters and the like are not allowed period !! At least from what I have been told.. Bummer NY !!!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
An engine less than 50cc and placed on to a bicycle to assist you in pedalling is still a bicycle and not a motorcycle. So far, from my Research, here are the classes I have found.

Bicycle-Motor Assisted bicycle
moped
scooter
motorcycle.

A bicycle with motor assist is much less than a moped and in many places is still classified as a bicycle. In Some places it is moved up into the moped Class and Mopeds are Regulated the same As the less than 50cc scooters in some places. So check your local laws. That means you have to be 16 with a valid drivers license. But still, no M Endorsement, no insurance is required, no plates, no registration where I live none of these are required, but check your local laws to see how it is where you live. And of course.. There are motor cycles. They Require M, License, Insurance, Registration, Plates, Ect ect Ect... And then there is NY. Mopeds, MAB's, Scooters and the like are not allowed period !! At least from what I have been told.. Bummer NY !!!
That's kind of odd, considering on NYC's packed streets they would be super useful.

I think here in CO, dax, we also have something called a "motor driven cycle." Not sure what it encompasses, but it's somewhere above our motor-assisted bicycles.

Dax, maybe you know since you're in CO too...don't we have to pay the $5.25 for a 3 year sticker for our motorbikes, just like the 50cc scooters?