what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

It's been a year plus in the works, but I finally got to a little assembly today... I bought a used Felt Propaganda from Norm @ VMB. He put in a tank and had it powdercoated for me. Ultimately I got an Abraham Linkage fork for the darn thing and long story short I haven't had much time. Anyway, here are a few picks of a pre engine mock up. Finally getting to see my vision realized...

Also, my new cro-moly 1 pice crank from Phantom Bikes arrived (see pic). It's a real nice piece, but it had a not attached saying it was raw and that I have to clear coat it or paint it or it will rust - disappointing to say the least...

Attachments

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

It's been a year plus in the works, but I finally got to a little assembly today... I bought a used Felt Propaganda from Norm @ VMB. He put in a tank and had it powdercoated for me. Ultimately I got an Abraham Linkage fork for the darn thing and long story short I haven't had much time. Anyway, here are a few picks of a pre engine mock up. Finally getting to see my vision realized...

Also, my new cro-moly 1 pice crank from Phantom Bikes arrived (see pic). It's a real nice piece, but it had a not attached saying it was raw and that I have to clear coat it or paint it or it will rust - disappointing to say the least...
It's gonna be S W E E T bro. Looks like you're going 4 stroke. Good choice.
fatdaddy.

croblesjr

Sep 19, 2012
Waco/Hewitt, TX

I brought death upon my bike last night the motor chain popped and went flying off (who knows where) while traveling down the road. My back wheel is loose and wobbles all over making it impossible to even bike cause the other bike chain hops around too. So i walked myself home at midnight lol.

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.

Sorry to hear that,come up on my e-mail- I'm sure that you will get the bike repaired pretty quick. Re set the axle, cones, spoke adjustment, straighten and true the wheel, inspect the bearings,. My bearing races (cones) are a little bit loose but I do like to have some play in them-lots of weight on my back wheel.
I just posted new videos of my Bridgestone Start up, the second video is short and I made it while I was going out to the store today.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

Got a new tension wheel from bgf...much sturdier than the one that came with the kit...hooked up the voltmeter to check my rpms and voltage output......been trying to figure out how to direct wire a 6 volt flashlight to work when the bike is on...so far I've failed with 3 different flashlights wired currently...beginning to think its not going to work...oh and changed my 2 stroke mix down to 32:1...so far it purrs well and runs strong...

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I drained my tank because my gas was 2 months old, and also because I installed a high compression head recently and decided to go with higher octane. I pushed the bike a half mile to the closest gas station and pumped a gallon of 93 into my tank (I have a 2 gallon tank in case anyone is wondering). She is purring like a kitten now.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I drained my tank because my gas was 2 months old, and also because I installed a high compression head recently and decided to go with higher octane. I pushed the bike a half mile to the closest gas station and pumped a gallon of 93 into my tank (I have a 2 gallon tank in case anyone is wondering). She is purring like a kitten now.
Hey big. HOW do ya go two months without riding yer bike? You must have more than the one bike. If I have to go more than a week my eyes start to cross, my stomach get upset and my brain starts getting foggy.
You DID say you have a 2 gallon tank though, maybe it was just left over gas.
I know you said it's purring pretty good, but did ya get a power increase with the 93 and new head? More top end?
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Got a new tension wheel from bgf...much sturdier than the one that came with the kit...hooked up the voltmeter to check my rpms and voltage output......been trying to figure out how to direct wire a 6 volt flashlight to work when the bike is on...so far I've failed with 3 different flashlights wired currently...beginning to think its not going to work...oh and changed my 2 stroke mix down to 32:1...so far it purrs well and runs strong...
I used to try running regular small bulbs off the white wire. I found that the only thing I could make work, kinda, are the small 7.5V screw in bulbs I got from Radio Shack. If ya go only 6V you'll blow the bulb when ya rev the engine. Thing is, those little bulbs make it legal, but they don't put out enough light.
You can buy the bulbs and the small socket from The Shack. They are in the slide out trays in the metal cabinet usually in the back of the store.
But like I said, NOT ENOUGH LIGHT. I'm using a 12V 7.5amp safety light backup battery to run my electrics.(they're cheap.) I can use a car headlight if I wanted to. I just plug it in once a week to charge.
I don't know how far along Sgt. Howard is with his light setup, but I think he's got all the bugs worked out for a LED lightset to run off the white wire. I'll look him up and check it out.
fatdaddy.

Found him at:http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?39474-5-Home-Depot-headlight-revisited

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Hey big. HOW do ya go two months without riding yer bike? You must have more than the one bike. If I have to go more than a week my eyes start to cross, my stomach get upset and my brain starts getting foggy.
You DID say you have a 2 gallon tank though, maybe it was just left over gas.
I know you said it's purring pretty good, but did ya get a power increase with the 93 and new head? More top end?
fatdaddy.
Well, to tell you the truth, its been sort of a combination of things. My mother-in-law passed away just over a month ago, and I have been staying home with my wife, because she was very close to her mom and she took it pretty hard.Also, the bike needed work done to it, and I tried not to take too much time away from my wife to do that, so it kinda got done in bits and pieces. I wanted it to be done close to perfect before riding it much, cause I'm starting to get really anal about every little detail. Yes, the bike does seem to have developed a bit more power. This may seem kinda strange, but I think its sorta like a break-in process with the high compression head. Here is why I think that. I did ride my bike a few times after installing the hi-hi head last month, but not very far. And it didnt seem that much different to me the first few times. Coming home yesterday after filling up, it still didnt seem that much different. Today, I went to the same place where I filled up yesterday to return some dvd's to redbox. On the way there, didnt notice much difference, except she pulled a little better. On the way back, I began to notice a definite difference in rpm's. I wasnt flying at warp speed, but I felt a little more oomph. I am betting that after a few more rides, especially a longer ride, I will begin to notice a bigger difference. Once I get out for a nice long ride, I'll take my speedo with me so I know exactly what kind of speeds I'm hitting, and I will report back.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut

heres a couple shots of my z80s china girl...i love the straight pipe...so much more nut when i ride

.wee.

cant get the pics to upload but they are in my pic folder if you wanna see them

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

heres a couple shots of my z80s china girl...i love the straight pipe...so much more nut when i ride

.wee.
Pictures didnt show up I dont think, but I will tell you this. It wont run good for long with a straight pipe. At first, it will seem like you have more torque and probably better speed. Eventually, what will happen is the open pipe will mess with the port timing. First you will lose power intermittently, as if your clutch is slipping or something. Eventually, you may lose power altogether. I'm just telling you the fact is that ported 2 strokes need back pressure to maintain proper timing.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol

Pictures didnt show up I dont think, but I will tell you this. It wont run good for long with a straight pipe. At first, it will seem like you have more torque and probably better speed. Eventually, what will happen is the open pipe will mess with the port timing. First you will lose power intermittently, as if your clutch is slipping or something. Eventually, you may lose power altogether. I'm just telling you the fact is that ported 2 strokes need back pressure to maintain proper timing.

they dont need back pressure for proper timing, timing is controlled by the ports in the jug and do no change unless you do port work. piston ported two strokes need back pressure to keep the motor from over scavenging the fuel charge from the cylinder.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I'm afraid Moon is right Big, I've been running a "fake" straight pipe on mine for MONTHS, YEARS if I include all of my bikes. What I mean by fake is that I take an old used stock pipe, cut the heck out of it, leaving the honeycomb baffle for a little back pressure. Just a peice of pipe with NOTHING inside (no pressure at all) will allow the fuel to flow directly through and simply spew unburnt fuel out the pipe. 2 strokes do enough of that without using a true straight pipe, add a completely unrestricted pipe and you double that problem.
fatdaddy.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I did a number of things today. Fixed a broken pedal (too cheap to replace them, plus they are vintage and I like them). Also adjusted my bottom bracket and my chain tensioner, which is on the pedal side. Lubed my chain, fixed a broken wire connector on my batttery that powers my brake light, put some air in my tires.