Trailer Suggestions

GoldenMotor.com

Philkoz

Apr 30, 2012
Calif
I am building a 6' long x 2.5' wide x 5' tall bike trailer / lounge to tow around Burning Man this year with a motorized bike. It will weigh in the area of 150 lbs. (Due to a deep cell battery I want to include)
Something like the bike and trailer at the front of this site with the girl driving:
http://www.bikejuju.com/2011/black-rock-city-2011-a-wild-ride-as-always/ I believe she built the trailer/trike around a moped...
I want to just hook my trailer on a bike with a motor on it, not make one unit.

Now I see options in the $200.00 range for 66-80cc from Skyhawk. Is that a good option (Strong enough once I get going) or are there other larger ones out there if I go to say $250.00?

I am totally new to this.. Suggestions:)?

Thanks
Phil

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Suggestions

Any Chinese engine kit of "80cc" size would be enough if you can pedal the whole works to get it underway. You may want to use a larger than stock rear sprocket, like a 50T.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Yup.
Like Joe said... a big gear.

Even better would be a predator. and it's fan cooled.

Have fun!
rc

tnx for the site link.... I like the fun stuff!

Philkoz

Apr 30, 2012
Calif

Great! I will look for a larger sprocket and research shift kits! Thanks for putting my mind at ease:)
Is the HF motor something I can work with? I like that it is bigger but do they make clutches, cables, a good (Great may be better as HF engines are usually loud) muffler etc that I can use with it?

Thanks again for all the information!
Phil

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The HF set-up requires a lot of fabricating skills. There's no kit but a lot of threads here from those that have. Due to their size at 99cc it's not road legal in most states but that's no problem on the lake bed. That's where Thrust set the World Land Speed Record.

The HT kit with a bigger gear is by far simpler and will do the job. You should keep an eye on your airfilter there, though. ;)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Dave may be right. A 66/80cc HT WITH a shift kit will give you the "off the line" pulling power you'll need if you put a heavy trailer on it. And when yer done at Burning Man you'll have a bike you can ride on the street.
NOW, a 66/80cc engine is still not legal in most states, but I've been riding them for MANY years with no problem from the law. Just obey most of the laws and you should be good to go.
fatdaddy.