Unknown bikcycle engine part

GoldenMotor.com

Maskot

Apr 22, 2011
Wellington, FL
There is this Shifter that comes out of the carburetor and I don't know what it is for or where to mount it, I have pictures, also, are those tubes coming out of the carburetor supposed to connect to something, or do they just dangle, and yes, I know the air filter is bent, I blame USPS, and the last photo is my ride, so far.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
What you have is a cns or a cns clone, the lever mounts on the handle bar and is the choke enrichment . The tube on the bottom of the bowl is the overflow in case the float needle gets stuck open, just let it hang down. The one closes to the air cleaner is the vent from the bowl so fuel flows freely into the carb, the other I don't have on my cns. what you can do is loop them over the carb and zip tie them so water can't get in. I hope this helps, Greg

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
great explanation.
I would add, the vent tube was designed to be inserted into the factory stock air cleaner to satisfy epa regs.
They cause a lot of problems because fuel is actually sucked from the bowl, into the intake, periodically, so most? people cap them off and do not run them to the air cleaner.
what greg said will be dandy!

You'll need to pull the screws and pop the carb top plate to insert the ball end of the cable into the spring loaded plunger which seals off the enrichen circuit, when that choke lever is set to off. The spring inside there is very important for proper operation!

Best
rc

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If you really read the instructions, you would of seen this...If it goes to the carburetor, it's the choke control. When lever is moved up the bars, (turning counter clockwise) you increase the amount of choke.

Attachments

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
where do I mount it and how do i use it, never seen this before, must be the new carburetor
Anywhere you want to...most install it on the handlebar. When the engine is COLD you may need some choke (restricting air flow through the carburetor), Rotate the lever counter clockwise (about 1/2 way to start), then when the engine is warmed up, rotate the lever fully clockwise (no choke).

Truthfully....With your little knowledge of a carburetor, it most likely be best for you to purchase a NT or a NT speed, and sell your CNS to cover your expanses. I have over 50 years experience (can't tell how many I've rebuilt) with carburetors, and I wouldn't want to fool with a CNS, when a NT works fine.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
what is it used for?
LOOK...reread my post.
When the engine is COLD you may need some choke (restricting air flow through the carburetor), Rotate the lever counter clockwise (about 1/2 way to start), then when the engine is warmed up, rotate the lever fully clockwise (no choke).

A car/engines relies on the high-temperature of the engine to effectively burn fuel. When starting the engine from cold, the regular amount of fuel is not enough to deliver the required power.

The manual choke was a pull-out lever operated by the driver that opened decreased the carburetor's air-intake slightly, causing more fuel to be fed in and boosting power.

Leaving the choke closed for too long (once the engine had warmed up) resulted in an overly-rich mixture that made the engine stutter and stall. Opening the choke too soon would also stall the engine.

Modern cars use computers to work out exactly the right amount of fuel for each cylinder and injects that fuel automatically at precisely the right moment, making chokes thoroughly obsolete. The advancements came about (in Europe at least) because carburettor based engines could not meet emission targets.

Still of use to drivers of vintage cars. Also small carburated engines - snow blowers, snowmobiles, ATVs? motorcycles etc.

Last edited:

Maskot

Apr 22, 2011
Wellington, FL
LOOK...reread my post.

A car/engines relies on the high-temperature of the engine to effectively burn fuel. When starting the engine from cold, the regular amount of fuel is not enough to deliver the required power.

The manual choke was a pull-out lever operated by the driver that opened decreased the carburetor's air-intake slightly, causing more fuel to be fed in and boosting power.

Leaving the choke closed for too long (once the engine had warmed up) resulted in an overly-rich mixture that made the engine stutter and stall. Opening the choke too soon would also stall the engine.

Modern cars use computers to work out exactly the right amount of fuel for each cylinder and injects that fuel automatically at precisely the right moment, making chokes thoroughly obsolete. The advancements came about (in Europe at least) because carburettor based engines could not meet emission targets.

Still of use to drivers of vintage cars. Also small carburated engines - snow blowers, snowmobiles, ATVs? motorcycles etc.
okay, please take me through how to use it when i start the engine on the bike, as this gives me little insite to how EXACTLY to use it.

Maskot

Apr 22, 2011
Wellington, FL
okay, please take me through how to use it when i start the engine on the bike, as this gives me little insite to how EXACTLY to use it.
Okay, I just wanted to say thank you for your help, as I have obviously not been reading everything, sorry for being such a hastle.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While the purpose is similar, the CNS doesn't have a choke and it doesn't restrict air to make the air/fuel mix richer - it has an enrichment circuit. When the "shifter lever" pictured is engaged (tightening the cable) it pulls open a secondary fuel supply & makes the mix richer w/o air restriction to aid cold starts.

A slightly more precise method of enrichment, if a little more complex.

I would suggest seeing how well/poorly it runs before you bother trying to mess with the settings BTW

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
While the purpose is similar, the CNS doesn't have a choke and it doesn't restrict air to make the air/fuel mix richer - it has an enrichment circuit. When the "shifter lever" pictured is engaged (tightening the cable) it pulls open a secondary fuel supply & makes the mix richer w/o air restriction to aid cold starts.

A slightly more precise method of enrichment, if a little more complex.

I would suggest seeing how well/poorly it runs before you bother trying to mess with the settings BTW
enrichment..I'll buy that...although the instructions refer to it as a "Choke" I had a CNS in a box of parts I bought. Never looked at it...just got rid of it to the first buyer that came along.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Enrichment circuit ''choke'' all carburetors have a choke feature as the fuel sometimes needs slightly enriched at start up/warm up.

Maskot

Apr 22, 2011
Wellington, FL
I got it going to day and I have to say, it was the most fun I've had in a long time, and the fact that I put it together by myself makes it all the sweeter. But, the cheap chain came off and broke a link and today is saturday, so no fun for he weekend. =(