Hi from Australia.

GoldenMotor.com

PieOnAir

Dec 29, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Hey, great forum you guys have here.

I recently started building MB myself for the fun of it, and this site provided me with a lot of experiences and engineering ideas.

Currently working on a HS 4 stroke cruiser with cheap single-chain chainbox that came with the kit on ebay.

Finding out that the chain in the chainbox didn't quite line up properly, and chain being quite slack, I'm thinking of adding internal tensioner/chain guide made out of those chopping board plastic materials.

Anyways have fun.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Hey mate where abouts in Sydney are you from?

Not sure if im totally understanding your Ques. but..
Why cant you just use 1 of these..\/ \/ \/

Attachments

Last edited:

PieOnAir

Dec 29, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Hey there! I'm in Gordon area.

Ah,,, I'm referring to a chain in the actual 'hoot' gear box (chainbox).
Not the 'final drive' chain to the wheel.

When I opened up the case, I found that there was no chain tensioner, and the two sprockets didn't line up perfectly straight, so it bends chain a little bit and eats them from time to time.

** Attached picture = Pocket bike transmission which is pretty much the same except that it has a built in tensioner **

Attachments

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
ah fair enough sorry mate..yeah that tensioner look pretty simple to do on the slack side of the driven chain. You could probly do something similar and just have the a pivet point like a hinge or something, flat bit of metal with your nylon on it and a bit of booker rod or something similar giving the abiltiy to give an adjustment to the chain guide similar to the setup they use to raise the motor with a jackshaft setup.

Seems kinda shotty though that it doesnt come with a chain tensioner already.. have you contacted the supplier and asked wats up with that..?
Can you get away with cutting the chain down and using a half link.?
Are the cogs held onto the shaft with just grub screws thats dimpled and using a keyway..?
Can you just align the cogs back to how they should be?

Last edited: