First Motorized Bike

GoldenMotor.com

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
So I'm looking to make myself a motor bicycle but I don't really feel like going the DIY route, so what kits available under $200 are any good? What kind of bike should I mount it on? I own a mountain bike that I would not mind using for the purpose. As well as a smaller one. I will measure the area available inside the frames tommorow. And if I own the bike and buy a kit, how much extra money would I need to get it to go?

I will be using it to commute to work, which is about 2 miles away from my house. On the way there, there is 2 steep downhill parts, and on the way back there is of course 2 steep uphills parts. I weigh 160. Thanks!

How are these: http://www.pistonbikes.com/Motorized-Bicycle-Motor-Kits-s/1.htm ?
Could they be made to mount behind the seat as the smaller bike doesnt have any room at all inside the frame?

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
So I'm looking to make myself a motor bicycle but I don't really feel like going the DIY route, so what kits available under $200 are any good? What kind of bike should I mount it on? I own a mountain bike that I would not mind using for the purpose. As well as a smaller one. I will measure the area available inside the frames tommorow. And if I own the bike and buy a kit, how much extra money would I need to get it to go?

I will be using it to commute to work, which is about 2 miles away from my house. On the way there, there is 2 steep downhill parts, and on the way back there is of course 2 steep uphills parts. I weigh 160. Thanks!
I have built 5 MB's...not many by others standards. I have no problems out of my builds but I don't just remove the engine out of the box and slap it on the frame. We have taken our bikes to Oak Mountain here in this area and had no problems climbing a 1,000+' foot mountain. I weigh in at 215#.

These are what I do to my engines...
Bolt Depot - Metric Tap and Drill Size Table

As far as on what bikes to mount a engine... you have quite a few to choose from. Here are some mounting tips.
Engine Mounting pictures by Ron-Becker - Photobucket

All HT kits are a crap shot, just try to deal with a scrupulous dealer. As fas as I'm concerned this leaves out "Ebay" luckyearlybird and BGF, among some others.

Good luck

Last edited: