Clutch cable is snapped, What do?

GoldenMotor.com

bwayney

Jun 28, 2011
Dorr, Michigan
I bought my motor bike from a guy off craigslist about 1 year ago. I drove it and parked it at a taco bell and after Im done i see my clutch cable has been snapped(The brake line that goes from the left handlebar to the engine with the clutch i believe).

Anyways i have no idea how to fix this or where to get what looks like a normal brake line that is used for the clutch cable. I can sometimes manually get the bike to by holding in the clutch allowing me to pedal and then releasing the clutch and then hoping it runs. But it sat for a while and i can no longer get it to run.

Is there anyone in the Grand rapids area(Michigan) that can help me or know where i can bring this bike to get fixed, i really miss riding it. Thanks alot.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I bought my motor bike from a guy off craigslist about 1 year ago. I drove it and parked it at a taco bell and after Im done i see my clutch cable has been snapped(The brake line that goes from the left handlebar to the engine with the clutch i believe).

Anyways i have no idea how to fix this or where to get what looks like a normal brake line that is used for the clutch cable. I can sometimes manually get the bike to by holding in the clutch allowing me to pedal and then releasing the clutch and then hoping it runs. But it sat for a while and i can no longer get it to run.

Is there anyone in the Grand rapids area(Michigan) that can help me or know where i can bring this bike to get fixed, i really miss riding it. Thanks alot.
We can probably give you all kinds of ideas on what to do but what would greatly help us is if you uploaded some pics of it. We have no idea what kind of engine or clutch system you have and there are many different kits out there. Help us so we can help you.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You should be able to get a standard brake cable at any bike store or a well stocked general store. Get the longest one you can.

Then measure the length and cut off the sheath (pull the wire out first) put the wire back in, connect to the lever, thread through the anchor to the lever on the motor and secure.

Easy. Should take 15 minutes and cost 5 bucks.

bwayney

Jun 28, 2011
Dorr, Michigan
Attached are the photos of what im talking about.

In the first photo is the brake line/tube that is snapped.

In the second photo is what i think the clutch is, i have to hold this back which is hard to pedal the bicycle otherwise the backtire just skids and stays put.

in the 3rd photo is the left handlebar that part of the clutch cable goes to.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
First photo is the clutch cable.
Second photo is the clutch release arm.
Third photo is the clutch hand lever.

Any quality bicycle brake cable can be used as a replacement for your broken clutch cable.
In fact, most brake cables sold at bicycle stores are much better quality that the cable that comes with the engine kits. Try to get one with a teflon liner inside it. It will greatly reduce the effort required to operate the clutch.
If you can get a teflon lined cable, do NOT oil it! It does not need any additional lubrication.

The installation of the cable is pretty much straightfoward. If you can thread laces into a shoe, you can change the cable.

Scroll down to Step 4 in these instructions if you want to:
2-Stroke Engine Kit Installation

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
First of all if it isn't the clutch arm when disengaged should be parallel with the bike frame. As far as the cable housing it needs to be the correct length from the handlebar to here the clutch stop is. Here are a few pictures..You can see the routing of the cable, these makes it easier to pull on the clutch handle, and the cable is not in a bind.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
They only come in one size, and you have to cut the housing and the inner wire to proper length yourself. I recommend using sharp cable cutters, not small wire cutters.

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I bought an itty bitty mini bolt cutters from Harbor freight. They cut those cables, steel wound sheeth and all just like a pair of wire cutters cut through a wire. So effortless. Also what I was doing to keep the wire from unravelling was to put a small ball of JB weld on the end. The worst thing about biking for me was constantly getting stabbed in the legs by some frayed steel cables sticking out of the bike. **** I hate that.

otheracco

Jul 19, 2010
Minnesota - Near Cities
First of all if it isn't the clutch arm when disengaged should be parallel with the bike frame. As far as the cable housing it needs to be the correct length from the handlebar to here the clutch stop is. Here are a few pictures..You can see the routing of the cable, these makes it easier to pull on the clutch handle, and the cable is not in a bind.
That's a great setup (in pictures 2 and 3), but where did you get the parts? Instructions would be great because my clutch cable broke at the 'far' end of the engine mounted bolt. Obviously I need a setup with a lesser angle between the bolt and the clutch arm.

EDIT: It looks like you made the part yourself. I don't have a welder, is there a way to make the part with only regular household tools?

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I use a fwe drops of superglue on the cable before I cut it with sharp kliens. Soaks right in and sticks em together.

After cutting the sheath, I unflatten the hole with a pick

I run the cable thru a little grease in my hand as I re-insert the cable.
Greased or oiled cables are much easier to use and it extends their life.

Been my experience that most cables eventualy get corrosion if they aren't lubed.