Handle bar Pin Lock?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The hole/pin keeps the twist grip throttle from loosening and rotating on the handlebar. Some builders don't bother with it but rely on simply grinding off or removing the pin and tightening the throttle housing to the bar.
Most of us drill the hole, roughly a 3/16", which does not compromise the bar strength, and never worry about the throttle turning. Do what you're comfortable with but once ground off you can't replace the pin if it is the plastic one. The metal pins can be replaced if you find your throttle loosening. Good luck, ride safe.
Tom

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
That small hole will not bother anything and you will avoid problems.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I always remove the pin and just tighten the grip down good on the handlebars(never had a throttle grip give me problem of moving around)...The pin is easlly removed with a screwdriver....Just tap it on the side of the pin with the flathead screwdriver and it pops(breaks)right off....
John

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I use a pair of pliers and a bic lighter. Heat it up a bit, and pull it right out.

The throttle clamp is more than adequate enough for keeping it from traveling, and I would rather not have to use a drill at all on my bike unless I'm making a custom bracket, and even then, I never drill my frame - no matter how tempting it may be sometimes.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I used to remove the pins & just tighten the throttle down on the bars, until I had a customer that told me that the throttle case developed a crack & the throttle came off in his hand while he was riding!! Luckily he wasn't hurt, & now I always drill the hole to mount the throttle.

Tomasito

Apr 8, 2011
Argentina
I used to remove the pins & just tighten the throttle down on the bars, until I had a customer that told me that the throttle case developed a crack & the throttle came off in his hand while he was riding!! Luckily he wasn't hurt, & now I always drill the hole to mount the throttle.
Maybe he put too much force on the throttle and broke it? I cannot see another way for a crack to appear there.

I just cut it with a wire cutter and tighten the two bolts (not too much, not too little).
IMO, if you want a safe and way better throttle, you can allways use a moped one, they are very cheap.