Hard Fall, feeling rough.

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Can we see a picture of the bike ?
A picture wouldn't show you much. But I can tell you what I saw today. The frame is cracked at the weld where the upper seatstays/rear-fork meet the seatpost tube. The whole rear-end is warped enough that the rear wheel (although in good condition itself) cannot be aligned. The engine appears sound, but the carburettor is cracked slightly. It is now a "parts bike". I'm even more glad now since I found that JC Higgins bike. The "Tempus" will be reborn in due time. In a month or maybe a little more I will be back on that project.

Last edited:

Doug

May 17, 2008
Metro Detroit
Glad to hear you're on the mend.

I always ride the back roads and assume cars don't see me. Doesn't help with everything, but the roads I stick to have light enough traffic that I can pretty much keep an eye on every car I see. Nothing can really help when someone turns in front of you though.

I do wear a full-face helmet with no visor. The original reasoning was because I know I built the thing, and I have had just about everything come loose at one point or another.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
QUOTE: I do wear a full-face helmet with no visor. The original reasoning was because I know I built the thing, and I have had just about everything come loose at one point or another.[/QUOTE]

I'm like you man, on a bicycle something could break fall off or come loose at any time I dont care what bike it is or how good you think it's built, HELMET.........always good idea might just save your life.

I'm also glad to hear of the steady recovery Allen Wrench, just hang in there and love the heck out of that wonderful little woman that loves you so much..........hard to find now days and it does my heart good to hear someone talk about the jewel of a wife they have, good luck and get well fast...!

God Bless
Shan
.flg.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
QUOTE: I do wear a full-face helmet with no visor. The original reasoning was because I know I built the thing, and I have had just about everything come loose at one point or another.

I'm like you man, on a bicycle something could break fall off or come loose at any time I dont care what bike it is or how good you think it's built, HELMET.........always good idea might just save your life.

I'm also glad to hear of the steady recovery Allen Wrench, just hang in there and love the heck out of that wonderful little woman that loves you so much..........hard to find now days and it does my heart good to hear someone talk about the jewel of a wife they have, good luck and get well fast...!

God Bless
Shan
.flg.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Shan. Feels weird to be able to say it so soon, but this has been my second day back to work since the accident. The doctor figured that, with a desk job and an automatic transmission, there wasn't any reason why not. So I finished my second full, 8-hour day today - with no problem. Things are very slowly going back to normal. Though I will be even happier to ditch these crutches.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
QUOTE: I do wear a full-face helmet with no visor. The original reasoning was because I know I built the thing, and I have had just about everything come loose at one point or another.

[/QUOTE]I'm like you man, on a bicycle something could break fall off or come loose at any time I dont care what bike it is or how good you think it's built, HELMET.........always good idea might just save your life.

God Bless
Shan
.flg.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Shan. Feels weird to be able to say it so soon, but this has been my second day back to work since the accident. The doctor figured that, with a desk job and an automatic transmission, there wasn't any reason why not. So I finished my second full, 8-hour day today - with no problem. Things are very slowly going back to normal. Though I will be even happier to ditch these crutches.

Criminal Lawyer

Jul 29, 2010
Bozeman
When I first decided I was interested in this motorized bike thing I went for a ride with a guy who has two of them. I brought my bicycle helment with me and off we went. About 3 miles into the ride, the chain on the bike I was riding broke and locked up the back wheel that sent me into an interesting skid at speed. I managed to get it on to the side on the road, full of tall grass, and did not go down. My friend came back a moment later when he realized that I was no longer behind him and said, I was going to give you a hard time for wearing that helmet, but I guess I won't.
I am still looking for an upgrade to my bike helmet, but haven't yet found anything that doesn't make me feel like "Dark Helmet" from "Space Balls." Any suggestions?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I am still looking for an upgrade to my bike helmet, but haven't yet found anything that doesn't make me feel like "Dark Helmet" from "Space Balls." Any suggestions?
One or two of my coworkers used to tease me about the way my bike helmet looked on me. But now, they don't dare. And they probably aren't even inclined to. I think now, once I'm mended, I could wear the goofiest helmet possible when I ride again, and nobody would say a word.

Last edited: