Question about going down steep hills...

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Hi all, I have a few fairly steep hills where I ride....when I'm going down the hills-I am completely off the gas-will my motor (Mitsubishi TLE 43) over rev even though it's getting no throttle input from me?

I'd hate to blow up a really nice motor :-||

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Does your engine have a clutch? If so, it should be fine. Can you hear the engine screaming going down hill with no throttle?

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Yup, it has a centrifugal clutch....it's a friction drive kit I bought from Stanton. The engine does seem to be going kinda fast- maybe I'll use the brakes :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If your centrifugal clutch is working right, at idle engine speed, off the throttle, there should be no engagement between the engine and the bike's wheels. Therefore your bike's speed should have nothing to do with engine RPMs. Downhill, off the throttle your engine should not overspeed. However if you're twisting the throttle just to see how fast you can go then the engine is connected to the wheel and it can be over reved. Brakes are a good idea.
Tom

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Thanks Tom.....good advice-I definitely don't wanna blow up my investment before it's broken in.