Is this a good buy?

GoldenMotor.com

Coopz

Feb 2, 2010
Adelaide
Hi my first post, I've been looking at getting a powered bike for a while and seen this model for sale on ebay a fair bit. Altho the sellers English is pretty woeful the bike looks fairly decent.

Just wondering from looking at it if anyone can shed some opinions on what it looks like as its not cheap.
Also I'm tall (6'4) and quite limited in what I can ride properly and without looking like a tool so that limits my market options.
Is a bigger engine also a better buy for hilly areas? I heard the vibrate a lot more than the 50cc sized motors.

Any help is really welcome:)

edit: crappo cannot link to it:(
It's on ebay. com. au and its ebay number is 290380218023

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
GT1 MOTORIZED BICYCLE

GT1 MOTORIZED BICYCLE ENGINE KIT (item 290380218023 end time Feb-08-10 15:07:27 PST)
AU $849.99
Approximate US $752.92

If the exchange rate is correct - then yeah, that's about right for a pre-built MB w/the accessories that 'un has. While in the US you can get a kit for about $150usd (+S&H) and with buying a new bike it outa run you less than $500usd or so after all's done and said - I've heard you poor aussies pay a bit more for the kits and ofc there's their profit margin to consider.

These kits really aren't difficult to install provided you choose the bike for it carefully, so if budget is a consideration I'd recommend lookin' into building one yerself ;) As I'm a lil over 6' myself - I feel yer pain lol, but that's nothin' a layback seat post and the proper handlebars wont fix. As for the 50cc vs the "80cc" (66cc actual) it's a marginal difference in power, but as I think you guys are limited to less than a 50cc's power output anyway - might as well go for the big 'un... I'm not sure about the legality in Australia... it's like 200w or somethin'? We've a few members that'll help w/that I'm sure :D

Welcome to the forum BTW and fear not - you'll be allowed to post links after you've made a few other posts first, we do this to help fend off the evil spammage :)

Last edited:

Coopz

Feb 2, 2010
Adelaide
Thanks for the reply mate, I might have a crack at building my own, just the notion of a ready to ride bike makes it so temtping:)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While there's a lot to be said fer the "buy & fly" method, you'd end up w/a better build for the same money should you choose to build yer own - the price difference used for nice upgrades... or even just gas money lol ;)

Having said that - the above bike looks like it's actually got quite a number of accessories, triple tree front forks, dual pull brake lever, HD rims hubs and spokes, hub adapter, drum brake, center stand, seat, and the newer Grubee engine (tho the clutch cable could stand to be rerouted heh) - so it's actually a pretty good buy *shrug*

I like to build 'em but some folks jus' wanna ride - it's your call :)