Just call me Popeye!

GoldenMotor.com

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
Hi all,
Well about a week or so back, I upgraded the clutch lever to the one Dax is selling. Definitely nice quality - heavy duty with no play in it like the stocker.

The problem is that it's getting progressively harder to pull. My forearm is getting sore like I'm working out, and I'm sure I'll look like Popeye if I can't figure out what's up.

I just squeezed in a few drops of Teflon-oil on the cable, hopefully that's my issue...

On the same note, I'm starting to hear a bit of a chirping sound from the clutch while cruising at a steady pace. Is this telling me it's time to make a clutch adjustment? When I pull it all the way in, I get about as little rolling resistance as I can imagine...

If you think I should adjust the clutch, please tell me how the rusty clutch adjustment thing works...or point me to a link that discusses it.

Thanks,
Mark

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How is the cable routing? Are you using the little spring that goes between the end of the cable and the arm? It's not really neccesary. Oil the cable well- if you want to really do it right, pull the cable ALMOST all the way out of the sheath and grease it with a light grease or regular motor oil, or if you are real fancy, buy a can of cable lube. Don't pull it all the way out of the sheath or you may have a little trouble getting it back in.

A little gear whine is normal, you can pop off the cover and put some wheel bearing grease on the gears- best to use a fine stick and take the time to put it on most of the teeth on the big gear as opposed to just globbing it in there.

You shouldn't have to adjust the clutch unless it's slipping. The pop off the right side cover, pull the clutch and lock it, remove the little screw that holds the "star" nut and turn the star clockwise a turn or so.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
There are three indivudials who make my life easy.
As a motorized bicycle user
Bikeguy joe
Norman
and finally Large Phillipino who is on another channel.
He will have a clutch roller pulley mod that I use along with Bikeguy joes advice and Normans tips when I ride daily.

My left hand was killing me until iI did the mod.
A happy time clutch is deadly.
For clutch adjustment
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/bicycle-engine-clutch-222.html

Last edited:

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
Hi Spad - thanks for your help....I have seen LF's mod, and it looks great, but why is my clutch so hard NOW? I used to be able to pull it in with 2 fingers with the HT handle.

I will do the pulley mod - seems easy enough. But I'd still like to understand why.

THanks.
Mark

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
My original clutch cable had the core pulled out of it with use .
I found a replacement with retainer from my daughters abandoned bike.
The force was to great?
Do grease the cable .

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
My kit had a frayed cable from the beginning. I would try replacing the cable, Wallyworld has them. I purchased a pack of 5 (to replace all cables on a bicycle) for
$5.00. My clutch was hard to work also but along with the new cable I lengthened the clutch arm and pivioted it inward, soooo much easier...

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
When adjusting the clutch cable a lot of times the little screw adjustment thing can get twisted in such a way that it starts chewing on the cable. make sure the adjustment thing on the lever is at the 6 ot 12 oclock position. In other words make sure it is not rubbing on the cable. My new BoyGofast, has a longer lever on the clutch makes clutch use much easier.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
If you lubed it well in the sheath and you have well greased the arm and arm lever cam, this will help. It will get better if properly adjusted as well.

What helped me the most was cutting my clutch cable sheath down to the correct size - the supplied one was just too long, adding all kinds of friction, especially because of the bends due to the excessive length. I think I took several inches off mine. I cut it with a rotary tool cut off blade.

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
I think i solved the problem...and this was EASY.

I had bought the upgrade clutch lever from Dax - very nice, BTW, solid.

It is all about leverage and lever placement...I put it way too close to the hand grip. Moving about 2 inches away changed the entire game. I can pull it once again with 2 fingers, which frees up 2 other fingers for the front brakes.

I will still do the pulley mod, but I did want to mention what I did to help things out.