Official test results of the HD Lightning just in!

GoldenMotor.com

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
It's the copper sparkplug wire causing your GPS problems, not the cdi. The wire use to screw my with speedometer it said I was doing 163.9mph in a 20. :O
lmao
laff

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
I don't want to get deep into advance curves and other tuning dynamics here. It would be a very lengthy post, and I'm not at liberty to disclose certain things.

Numbers are not really what is important, unless you are immersed in the engineering of the product, which 48cc biker and manic 57 are not.

Numerous people have already given testimony which confirms what I originally posted is correct.

Significant gains in low and mid range power is good enough for me and should be good enough for you too.

48 cc biker: You really don't have enough experience to comment on this topic with any real authority.
It's foolish to think that Dave from Arrow Motorized Cycles or myself would make inaccurate and uninformed claims about a performance product.
Effective race motors must be perfectly tuned in order to achieve maximum horsepower and reliability, without detonation.
Go ahead and try to beat the Arrow Motorized Cycles at the race track!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Significant gains in low and mid range power is good enough for me and should be good enough for you too.
I resent this comment and anyone else with a mind of their own should too.
Don't present to me or others what "is good enough" for us. That is an insult, sir.
I would feel the same if I were not a staff member. My position on this forum has nothing to do with my personal beliefs.

Tom

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I bought one of these CDIs to test, & if the makers won't post actual 'concrete' test results to back up their claims?, I will!

I plan to wire it onto one of my stock bikes with a switch 'back & forth' system & take it on a few long runs down the main steets of Los Angeles & post the 'side by side' GPS results for everyone to finally see what it really does. ;)

I'm super busy with customer bikes right now, but I promise I'll post it as soon as I can. (^)

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey Fred...
For what it's worth ? I believe in your products and if it is good enough for you it's good enough for me I seriously doubt you or HD is out to defraud anyone, I don't get all this analytical deciphering bickering stuff by others about your products, THEY WORK ! and anything HD has built is better then a stock CDI anytime, I mean seriously guy's we're not trying to build jet fighters with mock speeds breaking the sound beerier or rocket ships with 2,9999,0000,88888 036.1 LBS of thrust and if you are your on the wrong forum to begin with.

We all are looking for a better Quality! and more Durable! product plain and simple, Fred and HD have made available to us these products,
They both have stepped up to all our request's in the M/B world for a better product.
Thanks! Peace to you all!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Who or what is the officiating body?

Are the only claims that it adds "Significant gains in low and mid range power"?

Under the rules of this forum, telling any one "....You really don't have enough experience to comment on this topic with any real authority." Is unacceptable

All have the right to voice their opinion even if not in agreement with "official test results"

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=2

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
OK GUYS, I want clear up some doubt on an issue. It is my product and my company and no one elses.
Secondly, Fred business relationship with Arrow Motorized Cycles is goes back a lot further than mine therefore he talks more to David Rust than I do. And Fred has a strong interest in my products because I developed the HD TWIN LIGHTNING KIT for his TWIN SPARK PLUG HEAD. I put that on the market and on BOTH my bikes. By the way you want my testimony, well it's crawling up on a year and I'm still running the same TWIN LIGHTNING KIT and it has 2000 miles on it. I ride it every day. The coolest thing about the twin plug head is you can pull both the plugs, drop a small flashlight in one side and look in the other and SEE all the down the cylinder, even to bottom dead center, tranferports and all !!!! My findings are this the piston has NO CARBON DEPOSITS AT ALL do to two factors #1) I run AMSOIL32:1 with 110 OCTANE #2) and my ignition system. That a fact.

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Race days almost here!!! I know theirs gona be some HD LIGHTNING KITS out on the racetrack!!! This is going to get interesting this year guys!!!! ;-)
brnot

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Unfortunately someone reported there were no Jag CDI bikes there - let alone a Jag CDI bike with similar other mods, so really no CDI winner results to report. Sucks!

It does stand to reason the winner would have a modded ignition.

roadrash

Feb 11, 2015
Wilmington nc
I've tried a few different cdi's last one was the super charged cdi couse the price got my attention.brnot which i thought would be good but truthfully it would not even run my bike.it would backfire when i tried an that's it.my friend had one his didn't let his well capable motor much over 7k.then i found the lightning cdi.it works a performs excellent.in fact i have 3 bikes with them.1 of which is cr machines top motor an it handles its job. I've wasted a lot if money figuring this out.believe me when i say the lightning is the way to go.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I'd like to claim I go fast with my HD CDI, but I never go very fast.
When I put it on the bike it suddenly lost all its tendency to sputter and spit at lower RPM.
It starts right up and I have had the plug gap set to .035 and it still ran fine.
I set it back to .032 just to be more conventional. One thing that's cool is the bigger coil that comes with it. The coil is as big and weighs more than the entire stock CDI.
This is the real reason I wanted an aftermarket one, with a better coil for a hotter spark.
(That's was my thinking, anyway.)
I like the Lightning CDI. It was a little pricey, but I already forget what I gave for it back then.
;)
Here's moar truth- I went after a Jaguar and tried to get one but they were out of stock at the time.
No matter, I'm happy with this one. Bike runs great.

Last edited:

roadrash

Feb 11, 2015
Wilmington nc
Indeed.
I found that a gap of 25 with the lightning is the best for my setup. I run 30 on my other two.an yes the smooth crispy feel you get from the cdi is very noticable from get go.