Choosing a wheelset

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I've seen a lot of recommendations from folks for various wheelsets and I could use some help zeroing in on where I want to go with my GT2A-S 4 stroke build. I'm liking some of the options I've seen at Husky, Custom Motored Bikes, and Pirate Cycles for heavier duty wheels, and there's a set at Nashbar that I use on a regular pedal bike I'd like some comparison on. I'm looking at several different styles and would like to just bounce some stuff off you guys. The front fork I'm using (RST dual crown suspension) will only support a disc or drum brake, so the front wheel will be one or the other. For the rear I'd like to have 2 brakes, either disc/rim or coaster/rim just to have an "oh crap" stopping option.
Option 1:
Now the GT2A-S doesn't have disc mounts, but several places offer a disc adapter plate that can mount a caliper onto the axle in the frame, and then with a tophat adapter, put the drive sprocket on the disc mounts, along with the brake rotor itself. Anyone using that setup on a 4 stroke? Do they last? Seems like a lot of torque on 6 little bolts. The wheelset (link) in this case seems like the cheapest ($129) of the options, but would require the brake mount, calipers and tophat adapter as well, it's got 14 gauge spokes and will do rim or disc brakes. I use a set of these on a cargo bike and they've been great, I've taken very heavy loads and they've stayed true, I just don't know if they would be great for motored use being driven by a HS142. It also seems like fitting discs and a drive sprocket gets a bit fiddly on a lot of builds but never having done it, looks not too bad.
Option 2:
Husky, or Custom Motored Bikes sell wheelsets that have a front drum and rear coaster, the rims on most of these are rolled steel, not great for rim braking and much heavier, but they also have 12 or 11 gauge spokes. A bunch of vendors make these, I'm liking these from Custom, they are almost $100 more and include the brakes, but would still require a sprocket adapter to get the sprocket on the HiStop coaster hub.

Anyone got some feedback for me on these or other options? Cost is a factor, I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I do want a quality wheel that will hold up well and stop reliably.