First chaindrive build :D

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Wandering the webz one day, to my astonishment I found whats old news to you guys - clutched, chain-drive engines for bicycles!!! Before you could even say "what are you thinkin" I had ordered a 66cc kit and was off to Walmart to pick out a POS to bolt it in...

ofc I didn't do any research, didn't know of this sweet forum, didn't even know the exact measurements of the engine... ofc I picked a frame with an unusual Dtube and a very confined space for said motor... ahh - n00b I be ;)

No matter, whats life w/o these little challenges? The kit was insanely inexpensive, the bike an el-cheapo - so what do I have to lose? Armed with a Dremel, I knew no fear.

Two weeks later... it's "rideable" ...sort of o_O

Actually, it's worked out better than expected, the carb manifold had to be altered to cant the carb to the side a bit and correct the angle, the forward motor mount cut and ground to fit the angle and width of the Dtube and new bolt tabs welded on, a little heat shield made as the exhaust manifold almost touches the frame... the list goes on and on ofc.

The only two remaining issues would be the motor mount (welded wrong twice, despite it's simplicity) and the motor falling on it's face about 1/2 way through it's RPM range - a problem I now suspect may be due to incorrect jetting, an issue I was unaware of until I found this forum. I'm going to wait till I break in the motor before I mess with the jet however.

Well - unfinished, I still ride it to my job everyday (I suspect "finished" is a myth anyway) and because I have to fend off various people interested in buying the damn thing as I try to work I've taken to hiding it inside the building lol

POS Walmart Schwinn it may be and it's configuration led to all sorts of problems, yet because of it's shape it kinda looks like it was designed with a engine in mind and less like an afterthought - or at least I think so in my perhaps slightly biased view lol

I just wanted to thank you guys - this forum is really an eye-opener, I wish I had found it sooner!

Here's a pic taken right after it's first "test run" - not one to waste an opportunity, I had stopped at the local grocery store and it's laden down with a week's worth of bachelor chow... The added weight seemed to make no difference at all!

Last edited by a moderator:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I wasn't very interested in motorized bicycles until I saw the frame mounted versions. I was hooked after that epiphany.
This site has broadened my interests to all sorts of power assist.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks guys!

Finfan, being able to weld is a plus, unfortunately even though I can weld, I don't have any equipment - forcing me to rely on others... which hasn't been working out so well.

So this morning I get to pull the motor for the umpteenth time (which obv means I cant ride it) and try and get the blasted mount welded properly... again :(

Sometimes I regret not getting a "normal" frame to do this project with, then I look at it again and remember how much I like it lol

Actually at this point I'm considering getting a 110v MIG (wirefeed) machine, they've gotten really good in the past few years, very easy to use and not that expensive at all anymore. It would not only save a lot of heartache - it would encourage "creativity" and help prevent duct tape and hoseclamp "solutions" :lol:

wheelbender6 - you may have saved yourself a bit of heartache skipping right to chaindrives, I've dabbled quite a bit with friction drives (both elect. and fuel) and while nice, they're a bit of a pain. Rain, dirt, bumpy roads, tire wear - these all conspire to take some of the joy out of riding. This chaindrive seems to have no real shortcomings!

Thanks again for your comments! dance1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your quote: Actually at this point I'm considering getting a 110v MIG (wirefeed) machine, they've gotten really good in the past few years, very easy to use and not that expensive at all anymore. It would not only save a lot of heartache - it would encourage "creativity" and help prevent duct tape and hoseclamp "solutions" :lol:

If I could offer just a little advice; stay away from the cheap-o wire feed machines seen at the big box and auto parts stores. Many of them are made in Italy, for some reason, and some in China. They will work, for a while, but if you ever need service or parts you'll be out of luck. Welder repair centers won't touch them and replacement parts are almost nonexistant. Spend a few dollars more for a good machine, Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, and you won't regret it. By the way, I like your build. Looks like it was bought that way. And welcome to the forum.
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm 110% in agreement :p

Miller, Lincoln, Hobart - these all have a much better duty-cycle than the knock offs, I just wish I could afford a decent TIG... but that's not gonna happen heh.

Thanks Tom! I think I've started a trend o_O at least two people I know have ordered kits after taking my bike for a ride, I can't wait till they finish them so I'll have someone to ride/race with lol It's a double edged thing - they get to learn from my mistakes, but I've had the time to work the kinks out... should be some good races soon!

There doesn't seem to be any other MBs around here, guess I'm doing my bit to change that ;)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Yeah double posting, but I just put the first hundred miles on my lil MB and I'm having so much fun I just had to rant a bit :D

My recorded top speed that day, of course there was a little bit of a hill - she does a constant 26mph easy and w/o complaint though and I'm very happy with that.

I must say the first 50 miles or so are by far the most challenging, dialing in the motor, tweaking the setup, learning which fasteners are the most likely to vibrate off, and of course figuring out small details like how I had the rear sprocket on backwards :p

These days shes running like a champ, still all stock except the plug and cap - this is w/o a doubt this is the best coupla hundred bucks I've spent on a long time!!! Despite my short commute, I keep showing up for work later and later, my lunch breaks keep getting mysteriously longer and I keep cutting out earlier... I think there's a correlation between a sunny day and my MB... maybe... :D

I just wanted to say thanks again for all your help and advice, I may not have asked many questions - but that's simply cause this place has so very many answers!!!

Oh right - that odd arrangement on the rack is a test of my camera's image stabilization feature, I rigged up a tripod mount and shot a few shakycam vids - I'd provide links, but I fear they would cause seizures in some of our members heh The angle is cool, it's great for stills - but I'm gonna hafta figure out something else for .avi clips...

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I really like it, its very clean looking, has hauling solutions. Umm I've been using my cheapy welder a lot and to be honest if I tried I could easily make enough mony off of what I accomplish with it to buy a nice miller. But for less than $200 USD if my cheapy failed right now it will have already paid itself off in my mind, but I agree duty cycles are key so eventually soon I'm gonna have to beef it up...I want a blue machine...Me likey Miller

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Shameless 300 mile bump :D

Actually, VERY bumpy lol - I've been wanderin about our less than perfectly smooth trails we have hereabouts with my poor chinagirl, and actually she's been quite understanding about it. Obviously as I don't have gears for the motor, for the really tough stuff I need do the little pedaling/gas/clutch/brake dance to get through it.

It's a very interesting technique to say the least ;)

Yet all-in-all the bike does surprisingly well off road, I'm getting better at the power crawl too. My only real concern is how low the stock muffler hangs, should I hit a rock with it - it's all over for the manifold studs. I'll be getting a tuned pipe soon, I'll be more comfortable with that setup I bet. Even should I hit something with it, at least just the exhaust will take the shock and not so much my lil motor...

I wonder... am I just a freak, or do others take the tougher trails too? Haven't been able to find a thread for that yet... o_O

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lolz - I forgot all about this "old" thread till we did the forum subcategories heh

Shameless 4000 mile bump FTW and still goin' strong (^)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Was yeah heh - that pic is frm a lil earlier this winter, there was 'nuff that the cars were bein' cowards and I was passin' em o_O

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
How 'bout lafing lika madman AND desperately tryin' to stay upright lol

Itsa bit ironic in this context but appropriate nonetheless, "the grass is always greener on the other side" heh, so used to the crap I don't normally even bother w/pics - here's another from this past winter (pitstop);

The windows outside my office during a blizzard, the accumulation was in a matter of just a few hours, from smokebreak to lunch;

I will say this fer ridin' all winter here... that Schwinn bein' my first bike since I was a kid - it made me one heck ofa better bicyclist in just a few months :D

the new ausped

Feb 10, 2010
australia
LOLOL ive seen that happen a few times someone gets on a bike with a motor then they hit the throttle. i think your brain does the most thinking in that first 1/2 second just judging, and havving a motor on your FORCES you to learn how to ride good,take corners,look for danger, coz the bike wit a motor puts you in 20x more danger than normal. the only drawback is when (not iff) your motor konks out you relise just how fast it realy went wit a motor and how slow your going now, LOL and possibly how un-fit you've got.. ther is only 1 place in australia where it snows on a mountain over east and only for a few days a year :(

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Barely,
Enjoyed reading this thread and realized how far you've come with your motorbicycling skills when I look at your current rustoration build. I know that being part of this forum has been like going to school with all that I've learned. I may never graduate, but who cares so long as we're having fun?