ZAE 50 connecting Rod

GoldenMotor.com

Knuckledragger

Sep 18, 2014
Milford Connecticut
Can anyone tell me what name brand motor uses the ZAE 50 rods with the 38 mm stroke?? Is it the Flying Horse ??
Also can I use a GT-5 jug and piston with the ZAE 50 Rod since its a 38 mm stroke??
I hear Fred call them the HALF BREED MOTORS AND THEY ARE WELL BALLANCED FROM THE FACTORY! Is it true?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I thought I posted my answer here before. Maybe it was on fb.
The "ZAE 50" on the casting is the company that makes the rods. All have it with some variations having nothing to do with the rest of the engine. You might find them in ANY 38mm stroke engine, and some 40mm as well. I've never seen any direct link to any information about which engine has what rod.

Last edited:

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
I know this is a dead thread. But I have a ZAE-50 Rod 40mm stroke on a (halfbreed) motor from zoombicycles pk80 non skyhawk (grubbee) type

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Robbie. No such thing as "dead threads" here Buddy. Thanks for posting.

How do ya like it? The ZAE-50 Rod 40mm stroke?

Last edited:

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
It runs 58km stock and we'll bellenced it's my spare engine the one I run now is a full chrofashioned witch also runs awsom. Hits 78 to 82 km. On the long flats
Skyhawk frame monark springer forks 66cc motor Shaved head rt carb ireadum plug hd lightning cdi lots of porting & piston mods sbp x-chamber sbp shift kit 65 lbs. Total weight nice bike runs well no problems the only issues ive had in 7 years of ht chinagirl bikeing is a cracked head and a few broken exhaust & motor studs. And a few seezed coster baerings Mostley loctite keeps me crusin' I have done well over a few thousand miles on 2 bikes mostley in the snow because i am a Roofer.
Just need to get a fredhead and paint my frame maby army green like a phantom bikes or old fashiond burgandy with gold pinstripes?

Attachments

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
Oh sorry my ZAE-50 Rod is 38 mm stroke from zoombicycles in 2009.
My other engine full chrome has no rod marks and is 40mm stroke both type -A pistons (non grubbee) I got it from speeddemon motorsports thay have the highest quality i have seen for 2 stroke kits. Thay were full chrome plated exept for the cyclender body. And had hardware upgrade with Allen head bolts. Unfortunately thay stopped importing kits because the Canadian government was giving them a really hard time.
Now iam screwed i can't find the high quality chrome 66cc kits. With the good hardware If anyone knows whair to get them let me know! The only place I've found is directly from the factory. But the min. Order is 300 pieces.
I guess I'll have to try grubbee skyhawk for quality. The only problem is I wanted to keep all my engines & parts type -A stuff so thay will interchange.

granto102

Sep 8, 2016
Melbourne
Hey Guys,

So recently i did a stupid thing, and put a rattle gun on my magneto bolt thinking i could start the bike. No surprise i stripped the thread and am now in need of a new crank (I wont be able to put the nut back on after its removed)

My bike currently has the ZAE 50 crankshaft, and the only suitable replacement i can find is a Z-L shaft. Will the Z-L fit, or suit? and if yes, will i notice any performance issues or changes at all?

Here is the replacement i'm looking at (I had to call the guy to ask him what was stamped on the shaft)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251319693027?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks Guys!!

Oh and, my engine is a 2016 model unbranded engine. I somewhat believe it may be a PK80 engine though (it's a 66/80cc)

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
harder to tell these days than in the past - there's a thread here somewhere, but not sure it's accurate

I'd first try to turn it down a bit with a file and seeing if I could re-cut the threads to a smaller size, or drill it out and tap the hole to take a bolt.

Last edited:

granto102

Sep 8, 2016
Melbourne
I think i've decided to leave it the way it is. I'm opening the crankcase to replace the gaskets and some bearings, as well as do a video to explain in detail how to fully tear these engines down (and afterwards, rebuild them)

I'm pretty sure that if I pull the crankcase off the pinion side and not the magneto side, the crankshaft will still be attached but i will be able to replace the gaskets no problem (as well as make my video too) so I may not need to take it apart or get a new one. Bonus!!

I'm replacing all of the gaskets with quality ones, new piston rings, new clutch bearings (mine are stuffed), new clutch pads and new CDI. It's a complete rebuild after 500kms, as previously i pulled it apart so many times (this time it's going together for a final time, and staying together until i get a jackshaft kit)

thanks for your replies!

Grant