Folding Bicycle Advice Wanted

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Something to be aware of with engines is a practice called desaxe. The crankshaft is often set very slightly to one side of the centreline of the bore in order that the thrust face of the piston has some relief from the bang pushing it sideways against the resistance of the rod. If you spin a 2 stroke backwards, it means the other side of the piston gets the load, and receives more of a shove than it was designed for. It probably isn't going to be terminal (over the years 2 stroke cars have been started backwards instead of fitting a reverse gear), but it is something to be aware of.

The picture threads cover just about all methods of fitting. Lutz made a lengthways kit that sat with the crankshaft 30-ish degrees out of the horizontal, and turned the drive 90 with gears to the final drive sprocket.

markd89

Nov 18, 2016
West Coast
The picture threads cover just about all methods of fitting. Lutz made a lengthways kit that sat with the crankshaft 30-ish degrees out of the horizontal, and turned the drive 90 with gears to the final drive sprocket.
I must have missed that somehow. Where are the picture threads?

Thanks,
Mark

markd89

Nov 18, 2016
West Coast
In the early days these motors were advertized with interesting Chinese derived names like "Happy Time". Those of us who really love them also like the term "China Girl".

Reversing is a matter of cutting another keyway in the rotor, especially if starting is by bump start.

So far I have 3 folders I use for traveling in my van. 2 are electric and 1 is a Dahon 3 speed. When I am traveling, I don't need a huge range, just to get around a city or into or out of town in a country location. I have been quite pleased with the limited speed and range.

I have also mounted the full sized gas bike on the back of the van on a cheap light trunk mount bike rack for long trips. The fuel fumes are outside and the weight of the 2 stroke HT motor does not stress the rack. The fullsized bike handles speed and gravel roads better. $50 old bike and an inexpensive motor, not the end of the world if it gets stolen or damaged.
Thanks, that's helpful and interesting. Possibly I could motorize my older bike with gas and have it be outside. I'd still prefer to have something stored inside, etc, but that is another option to think about.

markd89

Nov 18, 2016
West Coast
Fantastic, thank you!!

It will take me a while to go through all of these, but this is an immense help and tons of great ideas!!

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Yeah, isn't Ludwig's archive wonderful?

Modern 2 stroke snowmobiles have all gone motor reverse now.
No complicated gearbox needed.
You push the button, the motor throttles back, nearly stalls and reverses. Wow.
Wonders of modern electronics.

Steve

markd89

Nov 18, 2016
West Coast
Ludwig, thanks for finding this as well as big thanks for the galleries of all of the motorized bikes!

I'm not decided yet, but I am getting better educated.

Here's my thinking so far..

1. I ziptied a 25lb dumbbell to the back of the bike and rode it around. I could do it, but it was annoying. I'd like something lighter or something that can be removed in a few minutes - then it matters much less.

2. Compared to the engines on the classic bikes, many of the new kits are kinda ugly with engine hanging off the side as opposed to being a nicely integrated system.

3. The Shuttlebuddy seems to be a nice design. It's more than I'd like to spend, but 7 lbs and easiy removeavle. I have other questions/reservations...

a. They claim 3.5 hp which seems probably incorrect for that engine.
b. I'd ideally prefer a 4 stroke so I don't have to worry about mixing as well as because 2 strokes are usually much louder.
c. It'd be nice to see more reviews, but given the price point, it's not surprising that there aren't any.

Having the tank integrated and paying attention to being able to remove it quickly are nice design elements and worth paying something "more" for. Maybe they'd sell me their kit minus engine and I could put a 4 stroke on it.

I plan to talk to them.

4. Bikebug has a front mount 2 stroke for $324 which weighs 10 lbs and looks like it might come off quickly. Their website doesn't have many details or pictures so I emailed them.

5. This Staton setup looks nice (except for the 30 lbs) as the engine is more centered. The bike would still fold up with this setup and there wouldn't be an engine hanging off the side.

Still need to call dax too.

edit:More pics, while I am here:

Bike with Dumbbell:

Bike with basket positioned so I can pedal without hitting it with my heel.

Pics of bikes folded, to get an idea of what might fit where..

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Funnily enough, 2 strokes are often quieter than strokes. The difference in perception lies in the the lower frequencies of 4 strokes being less noticeable; something to do with high pitched screams for help registering on the hearing and mind, it is said.