what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

While watching the Crimson Tide kick LSU's behind for the national championship I laced my 4 1/4 wide OCC wheel with 105 gauge SS spokes. I had to drill the holes in the aluminum rim a bit to accept the larger spoke nipples and had to drill the hub a tad to accept the spokes Had the pinned seam on the rim welded last week and though the guys said he was a "precison welder" the bead bled through so I had to do a little surgery with my rotary tool. I covered the seam with a Sick Bike Parts sticker, it looks pretty good. I removed all of the Schwinn stickers from the rim and hub, then drilled the hub to accept a steel OCC sprocket adapter, and added a threaded disc brake adapter to the freewheel side so I can install a 180mm disc. The wheel fits perfectly on my Giant Stiletto now that I stretched the rear frame by 1 1/2 " with a screw jack I picked up at a junk store for $3. Tomorrow I'll true the wheel and install it.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA

changed out the MM sprocket mount for one of mine the other day. The MM is a good mount, but the holes I drilled were not 'spot on' so it had a slight lope. The HOWARD mount has holes set for the HT sprocket so no drilling needed- ran smooth as 12 year old single malt scotch. Put it on the road as soon as the snowplows had things under control You know, you REALLY don't want to do top speed when there is snow and ice on the ground- it can get rather exciting in a bad way very quickly. Love the silly thing. I've got six other builds for sale but the "Beach Breeze" is still my favorite... first love and all that. I've been called a 'hardcore' for motorbiking in this weather, but I can't help it- IT'S JUST PLAIN FUN!!!
the Old Sgt.usflg

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Just finished putting together the Schwinn Avenue with #2 Dax kit. #1 was "donated" to wife's bike in hopes of getting her outside. I haven't test run it with #2 yet. The bike is better than before!

Just uploaded video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uail5H5suA4&feature=youtu.be
dual control demonstration

This time it has the stock steel riser bar (mtn type bar), with the stock 3x7 brake combos, and ambidextrous throttle control! (uploads to follow next day or so, hopefully a video on ytb). I used 2 Falcon friction thumbies, one running into the next, at where the cable end normally sits, and the 2nd exit cable running to the Tanaka. It works nicely! (used one of those little "conical springs" from the QR as a 2nd return spring just for backup). So I can cruise control or throttle up and down with either hand! More fun than model rockets!

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Used up all my spare chain... for a good cause though. Building this for a friend of a friend, who happens to be 85. Should be fun for him to putt around on.

Idlers are just in 'mock up' position.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I took my mb for a test run, 6 miles in the nasty, cold rain. The dual throttles worked great, the motor is good, just breaking in but smooth, started no 2nd pull (kill switch was on first pull hahah). The 1.25 roller loves the Cheng Shin Corporal 700x35 tire, it hooked up and pulled without slipping and skating, even in puddles.

I like having the mtn bike/cruiser bars back on the bike. The road drops were fun, but didn't work with the controls I wanted. I still wound the bar with my favorite tape though.

Nov 25, 2011
Kansas

parts are finally trickling in

decided I wanted it a little different so I painted the kidney bean

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got the disk adapter from venice motor bikes and mounted it on the forks. i now have some decent disk brakes rather than the rim brakes :3

also make a base gasket for the motor so i don't have to worry about any RTV there, need to do some sanding on the top of the cylinder to get the clearance back to what it needs to be.

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland

What did I do to my motor bike today?

I brushed her down real good, head to tail the way she likes.
Then I let the kids go out into the barn one at a time to say good bye.
Loading my 12 gauge I led her out into her favorite spot of clover in the field.
I fed her a sweet, sweet apple I selected especially for her and two sugar cubes.
Then while scratching her behind the ears the way she likes I unloaded the shotgun into the back of her skull.

So, who has replacement engines in stock this time of year?

Also, I now have a dissection specimen. I'm calling this a learning experience.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida

Went to the pharmacy a few blocks away on my staton friction drive. Started slippin' as the roller got wet then she caught and took off like a bat outta ****. Even thru the puddles and uphill. I didn't have any fenders on either and got very little if any spray off the tires. I could see the spray flinging off my front tire in front of my headlight. I love mtn bike tires. They never slip even when wet. I went flyin' around corners at 26mph. Leanin' my bike way over till my shoulder was around a ft from the ground. Roads around here are either full of potholes, or slightly eroded roads(not completely smooth)they got a kinda gravel like feel cuz the smoothness has been worn off.

Last edited:

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA

Installed a new inline fuel filter and a NGK series plug for the colder weather and Wow the bike ran better than it has in a while. All the power seems to be back with minimal 4-stroking during warm-up. Ordered a new set of pull back handlebars to be a bit more period correct. We'll see how they look, should be here in a few days.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

got an orbital sander, and some 40, 120, 240 grit sand paper, then went to town on the cylinder, getting it sanded to where it needs to be.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Got the two neck stems I was expectiing...they are the wrong size.. :p Ordered 22.2 stems and got 20.7 it looks like. They rattle loose in the pipes. I measured them out and made sure to order the 22.2's. Now I wait for the seller to contact me. I'm getting so I don't want to order off of eBay anymore. The last year the sellers make as many mistakes as they get things right but I'm stuck with spending more money to send things back for the seller to send the right thing. No skin off their noses. :/

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

yup, lapped it. turned out really awesome actually. much better than when i would do it by hand with some sandpaper on the floor.
am i misreading? it is NOT a good idea to try to get a flat surface, which is what lapping does, on something that is NOT flat to machining standards! if you want to use an orbital sander, stick the glass on it and then the sandpaper to the glass. i almost slapped myself when you said you lapped on a floor! look for a thick piece of glass that doesn't distort your reflection by a noticable amount, i think plate glass is the stuff. thick because you don't want it to bend.

and i took my bike for a ride in the snow today, coming home from school. and i noticed that the jb weld is cracking again so the gas it leaking a little. tried to seal it up about 5 times now. i will put some coarse steel wool on it so it will be like fiber-steel (fiber glass). the epoxy in fiber glass is not very strong without the glass fibers. it acts kind of like rebar in concrete. the reason it keeps cracking is because the crack is from a bad weld on the gas tank mounting studs, so if i tighten it just a little too much it starts leaking again.

Last edited:

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

am i misreading? it is NOT a good idea to try to get a flat surface, which is what lapping does, on something that is NOT flat to machining standards! if you want to use an orbital sander, stick the glass on it and then the sandpaper to the glass. i almost slapped myself when you said you lapped on a floor! look for a thick piece of glass that doesn't distort your reflection by a noticable amount, i think plate glass is the stuff. thick because you don't want it to bend.

it's not the first time i've lapped either the head or the cylinder. just the first time i've done it with an orbital sander.

i've done it several times on just my drive way with a sheet of sandpaper, and havn't had any head gasket issues.

the only one time i had an issue was because i had a bolt that wasn't torqued the same.

i even checked it with carb cleaner after i had run the motor and warmed it up, no leaks at all in the gasket.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Brain fade.....

While adding oil to the gas at the Chevron station, for some reason I was unsure if my reservoir held enough Opti-2 for 3 quarts. Worst-case scenario, I'd have a burnt-up engine. So, after filling up, I pedalled home(across the street) and added more Opti-2. At worst, fuel/oil ratio would be 50:1 of Opti-2.....liveable for the Tanaka.

By the time I motored to work, the engine told me it was @ 50:1 ratio, not 100:1 like it should be. The engine was dying @ idle several times over the past few days. All I needed to do was readjust the carb to compensate for adding too much oil. The bike uses 12 ounces of fuel daily, so I'll fill up w/100:1 Opti-2, like it should be, in 8 days.

Better safe than sorry.dance1

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

the reason it doesn't leak is that the head is thin enough it will bend when you torque it down. it is bad for the head. can someone else back me up? just because it works, doesn't mean it's a good way to do it.and if you get loeaks because one isn't torqued the same, that diffinetly means they are not flat. you will get no leaks if one bolt is torqued to only 5 ft/lb, but it will loosen quickly, if you have a good flat surface.