junker question

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Most of you know I build with junk. I like it by the way. it isn't about the money. Okay it's a little about the money but it's about doing the most with the least as well. It's like Paul Newman said in a movie once. Some men will ride a horse till it falls. He will take his saddle and walk away. Another man will come along get that horse up ride it ten more miles then eat it. Well bikes don't taste that good, but you get the idea.

Okay here is the question. I bought a bike with a front suspension and a hard tail. I have had bikes with full suspension as well. For some reason I am really impressed with the front suspension. For one thing it would make putting a luggage rack on a lot easier. So here is the question, how much does the rear suspension really add to the handling and comfort of a bike. I know the front seems to make a lot of difference and I don't remember the full suspension being that much better. So what do you guys think.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I don't care for the feel of rear suspension, but I ride on the road. Makes the bike feel like it's got "something wrong with it".

Maybe I am just old school.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I love my full suspension bike. I put tall handlebars on it and one of them square seats that doesn't bother "the boys". Now I need one of them rack mount four stroke motors to add to it so I don't have to pedal so much. It takes dips and bumps without all the jarring.........................

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I did like the full suspension but it makes it impossible to carry the battery on the back over the rear wheel I think. If not impossible then very hard. I think the front suspension might be just the ticket.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Like you, I prefer having a strongly attached cargo rack over rear suspension.
The rough pavement from construction and wear bounces me all over the place at 24 mph.
I spend a lot of time pondering a way to have a sturdy cargo rack and a few inches of rear suspension.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I enlarged my sla battery pack so I am back to using a trailer.. I think now I will go with the full suspension. I do notice a lot of improvement of handling with the front suspension bike I have. I think the full suspension and trailer will be a good combination.

I have a couple of trailers sitting about. The one i just built was small just the size of the battery pack and it uses ten inch lawn mower tires. But I also have a box trailer that uses 16 inch bike tires. I might use it to carry the battery pack on bottom with a towel over it so that I can put things on top of it as well. It would be good for runs to the store ect. It is going to rain this afternoon but I think I need to give it a try as soon as the weather permits.

I have a wide one with scooter 12 inch tires sitting in the shop as well. I am considering making a faster push wheel so I probably won't use the scooter wheels on a trailer again.

Last edited: