My Norco

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Progress update...

Slight change of plans with regards to frame choice as my daughter recently decided she needed a bike for occasional use and since the silver Norco fit her perfectly I decided to get it roadworthy for her rather than buying a new bike that likely won't get used everyday and in all likelihood will get forgotten about in the near future. That's not to mention she'd rather dad have extra cash on hand for air time cards as opposed to spending a few hundred on a new bike...lol

So to make a long story short I picked up an old Norco Moutaineer SL 18" frame for cheap in a local buy & sell rag, nice steel frame it is with decent welds and the engine sits in it quite nicely. The frame had no wheels, seat post, front fork etc etc but I have this not too old Raleigh suspension bike that I bought for my son a couple years ago...was a nice bike at the time but he busted the frame! So I robbed the front suspension forks, rims, shifters and other stuff off of it and got all that stuff on the Mountaineer last night. I as well bought some gears, freewheel and cranks from SBP and am just now freshening up the Mountaineer's BB so I can get that setup roughed in and figure out the rest of the parts needed to complete a jack shaft setup.

Hopefully soon I'll have a rolling and running machine to test!

Here's a pic...

Cheers :)

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I finished freshening up the BB yesterday and got the new cranks, freewheel and chainrings from SBP all mounted and ready to go, hats off to those guys for making those parts available to guys like me. I'm now working on a 15 tooth sprocket I picked up earlier today for my jack shaft setup...what a pain! I couldn't get the thickness I wanted so I went with one that was a little thicker and figured I'd just machine it to the dimensions I required...turns out the sprocket was hardened! Bugger is that I didn't test it first with a file so I destroyed a freshly sharpened cutting tool...lol...15 mins of work with a torch unhardened it enough to be machinable though. I got some bearings today too for the shafting so after I get that sprocket done I start working on the other parts I'll need to get it all mounted.

Last edited: