Vietnam vets on motorized bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
From comments, here and there, I get the idea that a number of the "older guys" on this forum are Vietnam vets. Just wonder if there is any interest in sharing when and where members served. Here's my story; I arrived in Nam at the end of October 1967 (19 years old) left on Halloween of 1968. For one month I was at the headquarters Co. Of the Americal Div., Chu Lai. Spent the remainder on the perimeter of this large compound with the 14th Combat Aviation Batt. Share your story?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Served 2 tours with the Air Force. Da Nang, Nha Trang, and several other bases. Second tour I saw a lot of the north. Flew out of NKP Thailand and then back to Nha Trang. Survived Tet 68 and some other fun times. :)
Good to see someone else remembers that event.

Anyone have any photos of themselves during that time? Post them here.

Tom

Last edited:

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Tom, since you mentioned tet, almost, (almost) funny; our headquarters had a big tet New Years party for about 60 local villa kids the day before the new year. That night, our unit was flattened by mortar and rocket fire. Hummmmm......"

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, Yeah. The day before Tet there appeared a bunch or Viets in white shirts, ties and hardhats. They were seen all over the flightline with measuring tapes. Nobody seemed to question them, who they were or what they were doing. They looked like engineers or surveyors. The Air Police didn't stop them from driving right onto the ramps. They finished their 'measuring', left and were never seen again.

When they started dropping in mortars they walked them right down the ramp and took out four C-47 gunships, three C-123s and a C-130. All of us were sure the 'surveyors' were responsible for the accuracy of those mortar and rocket hits. One of those unexplained mysteries of that war and one the American public never heard about.

Tom

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
A crew chief found an explosive device under the fuel cap of one of our gun-ships day before tet, no one could say where or how. Those guys got there ships into the air under weltering fire, saving the ships and ... all of us. I was never so glad to hear those birds get in the air as that night, prevented an over-run. Thank you puff!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hard to believe that Moto and I are the only two Viet vets here. Come on guys, it doesn't hurt to reminisce a little and tell war stories. It's what old guys do :)

Tom

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
Hard to believe that Moto and I are the only two Viet vets here. Come on guys, it doesn't hurt to reminisce a little and tell war stories. It's what old guys do :)

Tom
Thanks for braving one of the worst handled events of the 1900's, eclipsed only by the stock-market crash and the dust-bowl.

This is actually a great observation, I kind of expected there to be more vets. kind of like Harleys riders in the years following WWII (granted they didn't use motorized bicycles for the war effort.)

My Grandfather (RIP: John Kane) was a WWII pilot and was later pulled into the Korean War. He died in 1989 but thanks to him, I am able to be a member and support my local VFW post 1502.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I served after the Vietnam era. USMC 1983-1991. God, Corps & Country! The Vietnam vets still serving during my watch were Sgts Major, Master Sgts, Lt Colonels and up. When they talked, you listened.
I want to thank all the Vietnam Vets for their service. They deserved a far better reception when they came home.
A lot of the devastating high tech weapons that we used in the first Gulf War were introduced in Vietnam. The Wild Weasel aircraft that take out AAA radars, Cobras, Radar planes like the EA6 and AWACS, C-130 Spectre, CH-46, M-16, M-60, heat seekers, smart bombs and many more. Because the Vietnam Vets adjusted, tinkered on and improved those new, finicky, quirky weapon systems, the US was able to march into Kuwait with shock and awe.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I knew there were more of us out there. Keep the comments coming guys.
Thanks, wheelbender. I PMed you.
Thanks birdmann for joining us, even if you never went feet dry :)

Tom

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
My hat is off and I bow down to you guys in respect. I also look back at the time with a level of personal regret. I missed the draft age very closely, didn't even need to do the mail in card thing in 1976, but my younger brother did in 1978. I thought joining the service was crazy and for losers. Now I look back and think I would be better off for it. In the last few years I have been fascinated by the war and pretty much read anything I can get my hands on about the war in Vietnam. Most people in the USA know so little - and really know even less about Vietnam (and the region) after we left. I've read some of the points you guys mention above.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
While I have nothing but respect and gratitude to our servicemen, I would have fled had I been drafted to go to Viet Nam.
I enlisted in the Navy to escape the draft, and promptly washed out of basic intentionally.
I have an uncle who was a fighter pilot shot down over some hill somewhere and imprisoned for 6 years and I saw what the war did to him.
Those of you who served there were the best and brightest of the generation and far too many never came home.
I will bear arms if my country is attacked, but I will not serve in another country.
I simply do not trust my government to be responsible in it's use of power any more.
Call me a cynic but recent history has proven me not too far off base.

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Vietnam is why we have an all volunteer armed forces now.

Yup, I was a little too young. Sent off my draft enrollment when I was 18 back in '73. All nice and legal was I. Classified 1H. No more draft.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I did 2 years hard time in the rain in England walking the flightline, in the USAF 513th Security Police Squadron, totin' a M16A1 with eight 30 round clips. I actually loaded a round into the chamber a total of 1 time in 2 years. 1985-1987

KEEPERS OF THE GATEWAY! LOL

Last edited:

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
I want even born yet when nam' happened,I wasnt there,but ill throw my 2 cents in for the heck of it.

My father was drafted into the Air force and sent over to what he described if **** was a jungle. His job was to repair service lines,I think his title was a "Lineman". He told me that the NVA and VC would cut the power or communication lines to lure out our guys to repair them then sniper them off the telephone pole as they would try and repair them.

My father passed away almost 15 years ago now,and I wish I could remember more of what he thought me that they just don't put in history books or teach at school.

Anyways my father would go to the Veterans Hospital (the VA) for knee issues and back then i would go there with him and even in the mid 80's you could still see the impact from the war in Vietnam. There were amputees there from booby traps/landmines and other types of horrible explosions. Even some of our service men injured so badly they couldn't leave the hospital,absolutely horrible. This experience has left a deep impact on me.

So,I have nothing but respect for you all that made it out of there and continue on. I support my local VFW and I am a proud member of the American Legion.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I want even born yet when nam' happened,I wasnt there,but ill throw my 2 cents in for the heck of it.

My father was drafted into the Air force and sent over to what he described if **** was a jungle. His job was to repair service lines,I think his title was a "Lineman". He told me that the NVA and VC would cut the power or communication lines to lure out our guys to repair them then sniper them off the telephone pole as they would try and repair them.

My father passed away almost 15 years ago now,and I wish I could remember more of what he thought me that they just don't put in history books or teach at school.

Anyways my father would go to the Veterans Hospital (the VA) for knee issues and back then i would go there with him and even in the mid 80's you could still see the impact from the war in Vietnam. There were amputees there from booby traps/landmines and other types of horrible explosions. Even some of our service men injured so badly they couldn't leave the hospital,absolutely horrible. This experience has left a deep impact on me.

So,I have nothing but respect for you all that made it out of there and continue on. I support my local VFW and I am a proud member of the American Legion.
I was at the VA Monday with my Dad, its still the same so many Vietnam vets its sad.

My Dad was also in the Air force he was a crew chief.

Attachments

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Well, Tom, I to thought there were more of us on this forum. Some guys don't like to talk about their service in Nam, wasn't a real positive time in history. A couple of thoughts; it is true, the politicians really screwed-up the whole mess. If armed forces personnel had truly been in charge, it would have been a lot different. Still working that way. The other thought is; most of the guys fighting "over there" fought, served, with as much heart as if it had been a North American invasion. They fought for the countries honor.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'll steer clear of any political debates on the war. I'm sure we all have our own feelings and they should probably remain our own.

You're correct that a lot of guys would rather forget and not discuss the issue or their involment and I'm not one of those who can't put it aside. The subject does come up from time to time and like my Dad did about WWII, I will talk about it occasionally.
I just thought it would be interesting to see how many of us were here and members of the forum. I know there are a lot in the right age group.

Tom