Being invited out is a PAIN!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Standard 10 - anger - no - reapply -error.

You are talking about a vehicle that was regarded as being a drab little pudding in the 1950s; what, short of parachuting it out of a Hercules, could you do to make it exciting? Dynamite?
Fling that sucker into a turn with all four tires screaming as they claw for traction and pray the front end hooks up enough to keep it on the road and I'll wager you will reconsider your definition of thrills!
Going far too fast in slow heavy drab cars is a staple of gear heads everywhere.
It's not so much WHAT you drive, as HOW you drive.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Here are some WIP pictures of the 1930's ERA based cyclecar that the chap who invited me to the races owns.
The 1950's Standard 10 that can be seen beside the garage is used for classic saloon car racing and will be used in anger on the race day.

I really wish I had one of these. I like them. When the last of my daughters has grown and left, some level of Hades is bound to break loose.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Pretty cool. Nice and slow, when the tyre's are chirpin' ya know the limit eh?

I like that steering wheel changover with the new driver too.

You don't need that silly hat darlin', you need a helmet - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You're right, it's not a silly hat. It's actually kinda James Bond cool. Sublime.

I was thinking you blew all your dough on the hat and didn't have the proper "wheel change" gear. Amazing. That's the first time I ever saw a steering wheel get changed out with the driver.

Yeah Baby! Yes, you need to build yourself one of these. After you get that Solex running. I wish you better luck than me - :)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Somebody in our district is selling the front and rear axles complete with brakes from a Morris 8. Morrie 8's aren't very big and their axles would be fine for someone like me to build a cyclecar around. Hey ho, put in a bid and bust the household budget again ;)

You're right, it's not a silly hat. It's actually kinda James Bond cool. Sublime.
You betcha life kiddo ;)

I was thinking you blew all your dough on the hat and didn't have the proper "wheel change" gear. Amazing. That's the first time I ever saw a steering wheel get changed out with the driver.
No Mike, the steering wheel is removable so it's easier to get into the driver's seat. The same steering wheel goes back into place each time the driver is changed.

Yeah Baby! Yes, you need to build yourself one of these. After you get that Solex running. I wish you better luck than me -
Haven't done much with the Solex lately due to being busy with other things, but visitors always comment about how cool it looks mounted up on my Wu Yang ladies bicycle. Actually the Solex engine suits the Wu Yang really well and with the fork geometry the weight of the engine isn't noticeable at all.

But as for the little motorcars I'm very much going to be doing this. I wonder what my fertile imagination will come up with............

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
My new boots arrived this morning. Actually they're second hand boots, but in very nice condition. I purchased them from a lady who sells horse riding stuff, - they're not exactly proper horse riding boots, - but at least they look properly intrepid and aren't sissy looking boots. Sissy boots with silly heels aren't any good for hanging about at a race track you know.
My new boots cheered me up no end because I've been having a lot of problems with joint and muscle pain over the past few days and haven't been able to do much at all. Today I seem to be just about pain free and so far haven't needed to take any of my pain meds. Don't like taking pills :(

My hat will arrive sometime next week which will be really corker. I went down to the township on my bicycle this morning and purchased a lovely long black pencil pleat skirt. I couldn't find a nice posh blouse because i wanted one with long sleeves and being Summer at the moment everything in the shops has short sleeves. I'll check out the Sally Army next week and see wot they've got.

I'm hoping the weather will be cooler by March as i want to wear my posh coat. My Mum trained as a seamstress and after I finished my social work training I went to work for a disability employment agency and they fancied themselves a bit on the corporate side, so Mum made me this beautiful long dark charcoal grey woollen coat from an old pattern she had.
If the weather's still hot like it is now I'll have to try and think of something else (sigh).

And then I'll have get myself some new stockings because my dearest daughter has borrowed all mine and they're all full of ladders. I'll need some new underpinnings too. For working around the house and in the workshop my old ones are fine, but not really the best for going out.

I just realised this morning that so far I've spent more on my clothes for this trip out to the races than I have on my cyclecar. Under my system of accounting any parts I've had in stock for more than a year without being used are considered to have cost me nothing (Don't look at me like that it's a good system). Sooooo totaling up recent purchased parts especially for the Colombe, - wood, nuts and bolts and washers, sprockets & etc I get something like $NZ60.00. And if I total up the cost of my hat, shoes and skirt I get more than that.
For a couple of minutes I thought that perhaps that should worry me, then I remembered all the stuff I learned about gender specific psycho-social conditioning according to age-stage theory while I was studying for my psychology cleverness certificates and I decided that I was completely normal and had nothing to worry about.
So there you go all those years of study and exams were finally useful for something :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
At my age I've determined that "normal" is what YOU think it is. That's one of the nice things about aging. You simply don't care what other people think of you, how you dress or what you do. If you're fortunate, you do, look and act the way that makes YOU happy.
Rock on, IWW. We'll all admire you whatever you wear.

Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
At my age I've determined that "normal" is what YOU think it is. That's one of the nice things about aging. You simply don't care what other people think of you, how you dress or what you do. If you're fortunate, you do, look and act the way that makes YOU happy.
Rock on, IWW. We'll all admire you whatever you wear.

Tom
You are completely right Tom. Now that I'm older I very much please myself and avoid following the common herd as much as possible. I was just having a little fun poking at my formal education which of course is all about theory and doesn't actually have a great deal to do with real life. Whenever I was working with somebody who was distressed back in my Triage days at the clinic I certainly wasn't thinking much about what my textbooks said. It was more about simple humanity and empathy than anything else.

I tend to not buy myself new clothes and just make do with the same old stuff, so it's been nice to spend a bit on myself for a change.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
The 8th and 9th of March Mike.

Greg, I guess I just prefer to live a nice quiet life in my little cottage. When i was younger I roared around on everything that had wheels on and danced until dawn, but now I'm happy to tinker about in my workshop.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Just to tempt you a little more Allen :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2RNzA5qJmw
When you first posted this I confused it with the actual antique “CycleCars” of the 1920’s and assumed this was a rich man’s sport.

After watching the video you posted I see this is clearly not to case! That inspired me to do some more research into the “Cyclekart” phenomenon and have to say it’s pretty intriguing!

For a basic overview I’ll found this with internal links to follow> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclekart

I actually have already independently slowly started working on a vehicle pretty close to these. Although mine is to be a bit larger using 26” Worksman wheels (already purchased), and will have a much different engine- So unfortunately it would never qualify for any actual Cyclekart club events.

Never the less I could see myself doing this someday!

Vintage swag is a plus!

Thanks for the post and please do take lots of pics!

-Kirk