Havent Riden In Years.

GoldenMotor.com

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Hi yall, back in the late '70's I raced BMX with Bobby Encinas for Shimano. Then moved on to drag racing, then midget racing and karts. Built a lot of race cars and street rods, but quit all that including riding mountain bike and dirt bikes when my Dad died and I took over the family biz. After a couple years my own health started down hill (genetic heart condition) so I retired early (age 45 at the time) to avoid the heavy stress caused by the biz.

Well a recent trip to the Dr. said I am now pre-diabetic and she said I need to get more exercize (or at least some) so I started riding Mountain bikes again. After a few 4 mile rides I realized 2 things, 1 I am way out of shape and this pedaling crap is for the birds and 2 I remembered seeing these motorbikes about a year ago and recently someone rode by my house on one so I plan on building a full suspension bike with a shift kit. I figure that a 4 mile ride pedaling is equal to about 15-20 of offroading with an engine.....lol

P.S. I am looking for a GT LTS farme or complete bike.
Cheers

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I was kind of surprised how much exercise I got while riding my MB, I do lose some weight when summer comes around and I start riding. I ride a mountain bike with a standard 2-stoke kit (no shift kit or centrifugal clutch), so I pedal just a bit to get the bike rolling (not too much at all). I had thought the MB would be useless for exercise but I definitely lose weight and am healthier when I can ride regularly. Some guys are he!! bent on not pedaling AT ALL, I'm pretty sure a MB ridden that way would be very near useless for exercize...

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
The way I ride and the terrain I look for Im sure will mean pedaling at times to assist a steep climb and I sometimes have to carry the bike a short distance to get over and around impassable areas. I dont plan on riding motorcycle style by slipping the clutch, I will pedal to assist get off from a stop. The extra weight is gonna be more of a work out than a non engine bike, probably by far.

I should be ordering all my parts in a couple weeks.....I cant wait!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I think you'll be surprised with how much torque a properly tuned engine and a properly geared bike will make. Granted, I am only 185lb but my 69lb bike with the 66cc 2 stroke, 44 tooth rear sprocket will climb hills (paved, lol) at WOT doing about 23-26 mph. So, it's pretty easy to get these things rolling.

Just don't do what I did: get burnt out when something isn't working. My bike was down about about 8 months because I was pissed at it. lol Once I finally got to working on it again, I forgot how much fun it was to ride it.

If you do it right, you won't regret it! Well, 'cept maybe the constant lawn mower smell. ;)

Welcome to the Forum!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum Bill, warning this hobby is habit forming! You will find a lot of good advice here, no one person knows it all but all together we know a lot. If you have questions or concerns just find the thread area that applies and ask, someone will help.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I ran a 1955 Chevy that ran low 10's at 130mph. I still have the car but we got rid of all the others, the 55 was the main racer.

My scanner isnt working so I dont have any pics of the 55 but heres one from my midget racing days....

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I too got into motorized bicycling because of heart problems. I just couldn't make it up these hills here in Tennessee. I run a shift kit on my autoshift bike. Making it legal since the law in my state says you must have an automatic transmission. I've been riding my bike for two years now. Recently done upgrades and will be doing other upgrades in the near future. I currently have the only bike in the world which shifts gears automatically through a shift kit. Been looking for others but so far haven't found any.

I personally use a Staton Inc system but there's several good dealers and kits out there. Good luck with your build.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've got pictures of the old setup in my album. Just go to my profile. Will be posting more pictures of the upgrades and videos as soon as the snow clears out here.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Well I bought a GT LTS full suspension bike, an F80 engine from Dax, a jack shaft shift kit and tuned pipe from SBP and lots of little goodies from Ebay. I will be starting my first build latter this week when the parts start showing up and sending in the motor bicycle form to get a California moto bike plate. I cant wait to start building!