I ride to work but i always ride for fun. how about you!

GoldenMotor.com

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
Theres nothin like a nice ride in morning to work. Its always fun! Unless I get a flat tire..lol..I like the tubes with sealant in them. If ya get a hole it usually seals it up enough to make it home. You might wake up the next day with a flat tire though.

usflg

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I do a 35 mile round trip commute to work on Friday in the morning.. but i always ride around for fun, people around my neighborhood have never really seen a motorized bicycle.

Yesterday i rode to blow of some steam after i got off work, i rode until my last bit of mixed gas ran out, had to peddle home lol :-||

... later like a ninja at night, dressed in all black i went to my dads truck that i just put gas in (nvr borrow a car on a empty tank ) and siphoned a gallon.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I am a live-in Grampa (good gig huh !!!)
I watch my granddaughters (7+9) while mom n dad work,,,
I take them to/from school and parks in their trailer
,,,that's the work part ;)

whenever I can, I go on long solo rides
that's grampa's fun part (^)

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
There's no way that i'd ride my bike to and from work or for any kind of cummuter ride.
I ride mine just for fun.
I don't think that these engines were originally designed to be used for commuting (altho it can be done).
They just aren't built to last in my opinion, they are just for fun.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Oh do I disagree with that.

These engines were originally designed as a step up in basic bicycle transportation in war torn and economically stressed countries so people could accomplish the most basic of tasks.
GET somewhere they NEEDED to be.

Best
rc

Last edited:

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
Im a lunatick that likes to ride all the time instead of drive, My motorized bicycle makes me in a good mood! Soooo.... Im on it often, to keep me from becoming a serialkiller! (jk) I think my next build will have HUGE baskets for carying things because I have found myself having to drive in order to carry things.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
After close to three years & 10,000 miles of all weather, all season commuting;

Why? Because someone said I couldn't :D

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
Oh do I disagree with that.

These engines were originally designed as a step up in basic bicycle transportation in war torn and economically stressed countries so people could accomplish the most basic of tasks.
GET somewhere they NEEDED to be.

Best
rc
yeah i understand all that, but were these engines originally built in china way back then?
they are a russian design, and possibly, were assembled with far better parts and more precision than they are now.
just my opinion...I wouldn't put my trust in a $100.00 engine to get me back & forth to work every day.
My job is far too important to be worried about my bike breaking down on the way to work.
I just ride mine for fun and that's it.

Eight433

Apr 29, 2012
Birch Run, MI
yeah i understand all that, but were these engines originally built in china way back then?
they are a russian design, and possibly, were assembled with far better parts and more precision than they are now.
just my opinion...I wouldn't put my trust in a $100.00 engine to get me back & forth to work every day.
My job is far too important to be worried about my bike breaking down on the way to work.
I just ride mine for fun and that's it.

Russia is not exactly known for their quality engineering or manufacturing either. China may very well be better, actually.

Also, a doesn't a motorized bicycle break down in the same sense as an escalator? Even if it stops working, they STILL work! With a little bit of manpower, that is. Let's see your car do that!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Tell me I'm wrong, but the Russian design is more than a little different.

Still, once set up, you could make a reasonable commute to work with little to no problem. The only time I was "stranded" was because I ran out of fuel.

I only ride for fun BTW.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando
Some kits are more reliable than others. If you have a chinese kit with a clutch and chain i wouldn't depend on it to get you to work and back. Riding it for fun on the weekends good idea. But the friction kits that do not have the clutch and chain and all the things to do wrong is a better nominee for riding to work. Just more reliable. I know cause i ride mine 50miles to work and back every day and besides flat tires haven't been left sitting for 2yrs now..you just gotta get one with a simple design that doesn't have all complications. The clutch puts out to much heat right next to the engine to be reliable for long distance...shft.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Funny how a lot of folks go on about Chinese two strokes being unreliable, but I have never been left by the roadside in 6 years of riding them.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
They may not last forever, but at least I can buy a $100 replacement engine that will bolt right up in a matter of 30 minutes or so (considering the fact that the rest of the kit is already installed). I don't have either a car or a motor scooter, so this is basically my daily driver. My house is en route to the interstate, so my crew mates at work pick me up every day.

I ride for fun. I'm a big fan of motorized things with two (sometimes three) wheels. They call it "joy riding" for a reason. It always cheers me up.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Recently I found an old railroad bed that's pretty smooth with no tracks or ties. I've rode it all the way into the next town over. Riding across the old railroad bridges is pretty bumpy, so I usually walk it over. I ride that trail until where the rocks become too big to ride smoothly. That's about ten forested miles down the track. It's a blast. I've been finding all the bike trails around the tri-town area and riding them. I hate running into a patch of mud though. I cut the motor when I run into other riders. On top of all that, I also ride all over town(s).

I plan to make a long trip soon. I may bolt on an old friction drive motor on the back in case the HT acts up on me. Heck, I may just buy another HT and carry it with me on the luggage rack. I can see me doing a motor swap on the side of the highway, lol.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
havent yet,just like fishing,only in fair weather.
almost every day after work i go for a three or four mile ride.
waiting for rain to quit and temps to be a little warmer for my ride.

i dont really know how dependable my bike is,but i'm dead certain its a lot better than the old old snowmobiles i drove as a kid.ride for an hour,fix for three.
when a snowmobile broke down,if you are alone and a long ways from home,yer screwed.,if not dead....

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I commute to the park n ride 20 miles round trip once a week to catch the bus to work. I usually have an hour or so of maintenance to do after each commute (clutch, chain, etc). My weekend rides are for fun or short errands. I may build a friction drive bike to eliminate some of the maintenance time.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
I usually have an hour or so of maintenance to do after each commute (clutch, chain, etc). My weekend rides are for fun for short errands. I may build a friction drive bike to eliminate some of the maintenance time.
Maintenence is right! I usually carry two crescent wrenches and a decent multi-driver with me anywhere I ride. These things are like Harleys. They vibrate themselves apart. I'm gonna have to invest in some lock-nuts and possibly some lok-tite. I have to tighten most of the major bolts at least once every time I ride it, not to mention chain tightening and occasional clutch adjustments.

I think I'm gonna stockpile some spare parts so I don't have to wait two weeks for replacements to ship. Of course, if my HT breaks down, I can always ride the Ryobi FD. The friction bike gives me very few problems.