staton friction 2 year report

GoldenMotor.com

tankboy

Jun 22, 2009
louisville kentucky
after much research i bought a robin subaru friction set up with a 1 3/8 roller. the kit was very easy to install and swap to different bikes. i have had a terrible time with flat tires and have changed out about 12 of them so far-usually pinch flats. i am now using extra thick slime tubes and keeping the box and reciept in case of another blowout. i put a piece of saran wrap under the gas cap to keep gas from leaking out and flip the bike upside down before changing the tire. i have gotten as much as 5 months of use from one tire, going about 2 miles a day to and from work. the knurled friction roller is worn smooth now so it wont work in the rain no matter how hard i tighten it down on the wheel. i am trying a trick i learned here-putting jb weld on the roller and then sand to help grip the tire. the epoxy sand mix is drying now so i will try it out in a couple of days. if that doesnt work i may get a dax rack mount chain drive kit and use my robin subaru moter to power the "blue mule". on dry level ground it will go 25 mph. the little motor is awesome and starts every time. i get a lot of looks and attention and questions when i ride.

tankboy

Jun 22, 2009
louisville kentucky
the roads i ride to work are smooth and without too many rocks, thorns etc. it rains frequently here and i found that when i tighten the roller on the back tire for better traction i get a lot of flats. i tried jb weld epoxy and sand on my worn smooth roller and after a little more than a week it ate the tire and the epoxy sand mix is almost worn off of the roller. i love the mechanical simplicity and economy of friction drive but i am weary of changing flat tires. i may have to upgrade to a staton, gebe or dax chain drive next year.

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I have a Staton robin suburu powered friction drive on a Chicago built Schwinn Mesa Runner hybrid. I use 2" Bontrager slick tires. I have over 5000 miles in 3 years without a flat. I average about 1000 miles on a tire with thorn proof tubes. 36 spoke heavy duty wheels. I still have the same roller. The secret to riding a friction drive you have to peddle up to speed before you hit that throttle or you'll burn the tire plus you have to keep your tire pressure up to the maximum psi that's on the tire or it will slip on the rim and cut the valve stem. With low pressure you will pinch the tube. I will admit they are not the best to ride in the rain but that's what you've got peddles for. if you do a lot of riding in the rain you best go to a chain drive.
buzzard

tankboy

Jun 22, 2009
louisville kentucky
thank you for your advice-if i stay with friction i will upgrade my tubes and tires and run them at higher inflation. right now i am contemplating a bmp chain drive kit with my robin motor. i love this form of transportation because you save so much money and can fix or upgrade things yourself. i get a lot of attention from riding in rainstorms, blizzards etc. my work is only a mile away but i have made 12 mile trips all over louisville.