carb slide sticking?

GoldenMotor.com

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
The slide on my carb is starting to get stuck in the throught of my carb. It was working fine I stopped riding cause of my leg and last night my son went to ride and the throttle was running wide open. He pulled the clutchand the engine dropped to normal . throttle back and she sticks wide open until he pulled the clutch. so I tore the carb off and cleaned it. upon inspection the slide starts going down fine then it just gets stuck. I am really confused. no damage to either part but sticking like it's gummed up.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Try a little lube or oil on the slide.If that doesn't work for ya,I've had to sand the slide a little until it slides freely in the carburetor and clean the barrel up with no problems.But leave this at the last resort if nothing else works for you.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Please do not sand on the slide. It is a precision fit in the carb and scratches left by sandpaper will not help you.
Did you disconnect the throttle cable from the slide? The binding might be in the cable or the twist grip instead of the carburetor. Track down the source of the binding but don't sand or grind on the slide (barrel) of the carb. Check for kinks in the throttle cable or extreme bends. Make sure the twist grip is working correctly.

Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
As 2door says, but I have also encountered on many bikes that I have worked on that the owner will over tighten the carb clamp for the manifold. I don't know how to explain it but somehow it can warp the carb.

This may not be your problem but something else to look at. The easiest way to determine if this is the problem is the next time the slide gets stuck wide open loosen the clamp and see if the slide drops.

Also dont' over tightening the ....... dang! I cant think of the name lol. The part that you screw onto the carb for the throttle cable... anyone? lol

*Unless yours mounts directly to the cylinder

Attachments

Last edited:

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
thanx all I got it figured out. Yeah the clamp was too tight. I loosened the clamp and it works fine. This is my first build so I'm learning a lot. More from reading other posts thankfully, not from my own probs. I appreciate all the help. My son has already been back to fuel up twice today.

I figured that sanding would be a bad thing to do. That's why I came to the experts ;)

I love this place so many nice people. We should all get an Island somewhere and create our own govt. Then there would be a real utopia. LOL

Thanks again guys I really appreciate it.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Sanding the barrel is a poor mans choice instead of wasting $10 to get a slide shipped when you can get it to work for a buck.Eh I'm not the only one here who has done so

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Yes, as Tom stated: the slide is a fairly precise fit to the carb body .002"-.003"

And as Fairracing pointed out...Tightening.

The carb body is a thin die casting...it takes very little to create distortion.

With some kits...the carb is a snug fit to the intake. With others, it's quite loose!

Loose carb to intake connection...tighten clamp to compensate...and yes a distortion of the carb body could happen causing the slide to stick.

Over tightening the top, cable stay, could also distort the carb body.

Edit: Glad your problem has been solved...:)

Jim

Last edited: