Fuel leak on my first ride

GoldenMotor.com

Andy

May 23, 2008
S.F. East Bay
So I finished my new type Skyliner, her name is Ping! Ping!. Mounted my painted chain guard with a "custom" bracket (nut welded to the frame) and took her for a ride. We had a blast running around the neighborhoods, stopping at 7-11 for a slurpie and climbing hills and everything.

Amelia and Ping Ping - - - - - Custom Nutz​

Then I started to notice a little fuel leaking out of my carb. Just a couple drops. But then when I got home it was pouring out. So somewhere I have a leak in my carb. It was fine for the first half of my ride, something must have come loose or changed during my ride. I shut the fuel off and ran her till she was dry. I will disassemble and check the float height and use Norm's great posts for info.

The bummer is that the fuel mix ruined my spray paint job on the chain guard. There is oil all over the place. On my rim, on my bike . . everywhere!

But man oh man is Ping! Ping! fast. Crazy fast on the flats.

Andy-

Last edited:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
The muffler will spit out unburned oil during breakin, mine did, everytime I got home my shoe was covered with oil spots. You might also check exhaust gasket. I soldered a length of copper in the end of the muffler, a "stinger" somewhat to keep the oil off me and the bike.. Here is a picture of it, hard to see cause I painted it black but it might give you the idea. Other pic is a pocketbike exhaust that I got off Ebay for $9.99, and some copper and fittings. Now I can wear sandles LMAO......

Attachments

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Do you have an inline fuel filter? If not it could just be a little trash caught in the needle and seat valve. A filter will help immensely Norman told me to get a filter. Bad as I hate to admit it he was right.................:D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When you go buy that in line fuel filter get you some black rubber gas line and dump that fish tank crap. I never could get mine to stop leaking till I did.

Andy

May 23, 2008
S.F. East Bay
A fuel filter was the first thing I added, you should see below the rear mounted tank with Amelia (my daughter who loves my bike). I used the yellowish fuel replacement hose you get form Home Depot. But I cut it a bit too short and it has a very loose fit over the fuel nipples. I will invest in some real fuel line from NAPA and maybe some of those little spring hose clamps.

Thanks for the tips. I will not have a chance to work on Ping! Ping!till this weekend, but then I will report back

sunkyman

Jun 7, 2008
Tucson,AZ
My carb leaked from 2 places after I put my kit on. The drainplug on the bottom of the bowl and the fuel nipple on top. I used some gasoline safe permatex on the threads after removing them, put em back on, and no more leaks. I think you'll find that there is no room for a hoseclamp between the fuel nipple & the body of the carb, at least there isn't on mine.