good score at the dump

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I made a good score at the dump today. I found two complete mountain bikes, a 830 trek and a next suspension bike. The trek only needs tires and chain to ride. The next needs a chain. Next bikes are walmart bikes although it has alloy rims and pretty good v-brakes. The trek has shimano components. Both are 21 speed.
Elmo

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I love shopping at the landfill. Last summer I found a perfect frame and fork from a 1950 Schwinn straightbar (Hornet) which has since been stripped, painted, an in-frame gas tank purchased (sportscarpat's original Motorbike tank), found an original feather guard for the chain and a NOS rear rack. Next summer it will get new heavy duty wheels, motor and go up for sale. Pretty cool find. I also found a 24" girl's bike which I have since learned is a 1955 Huffman. It will get stripped and painted this spring and made ready for a motor next summer. It also feels good to know you've saved something from the crusher which deserves to live on. At my local landfill I go a couple times a week, always with some metal to dispose of which is my excuse for being at the metal pile and gives me entry to the landfill. I'm very good at spotting a frame or wheel buried down under. No charge for what you find, either. Cool.
SB

Attachments

You guys are lucky to have a landfill that seperates the trash and garbage etc. When I was a kid the trash landfill was the (THE) place to go for old or used bikes etc. That was back in a time when garbage was seperated from trash . The trash went to the landfill and the garbage was composted.Then they quit seperation and it all went to landfill. Then disposible diapers were added to the mix. With the addition of human waste the place quickly became dangerous.with the addition of the garbage rats came by the thousands and then the diapers brought desease. Then the system was closed to the public.It was a shame cause all the recycling we did as kids stoped. Now I believe they have started to seperate again and recycling is a big thing in most large systems. Hopefully some of the large city systems will reopen to the public if they havent already..........I'm 58 years old and the dump was an adventure when I was a kid and I looked forward to dump runns with dad cause I allways came home with treasures.....Tom

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i have absolutely no problem garbage pickin , its amazing how much brand new stuff get put on the curb . a lot of the times i,ll see brand new kids trikes , or the one that really makes my blood boil ( the plastic little tykes stuff - verry expensive and near indestructable ) i,ll throw it in the van and take it to the salvation army store myself . that little tykes stuff never sits more than a few days . and theres always someone with little kids that can,t afford that stuff new .

it really is a shame , the stuff people throw out , rather than put it on the front lawn with a free sign , and maybey theres just a few too many people who are too good to be seen anywhere near a salvation army store .

my local dump has an area where they collect bicycles , i delieve they send the good ones to 3rd world countries and scrap steel the rest