chain tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

adventureluck

Apr 25, 2009
Wilmington, DE
Hello, I recently purchased a kit and as most of you know you get the plastic chain tensioner. Even properly mounted and in a format giving it the least resistance it wears down. I went to the bike store and asked if they had any sprockets and they said 'only plastic ones.' I tried lowes as well. Where can I get a decent chain tensioner system for a motorized bicycle?

GoFastBicycles

Jul 29, 2008
West Point PA.
I've used belt pulleys from Tractor supply, they also sell a 415 steel sprocket with bearing that is used for chain tension if you have a TS in your town you will come up with something that is better than stock.

adventureluck

Apr 25, 2009
Wilmington, DE
can you link me on tractorsupply.com what would be what I need to get? I have no clue what would fit the chain tensioner piece that comes in the kit and what sprocket would fit the heavy duty chain. I've the 4 stroke kit from bicycle-engines.com. I have no clue what to get. I need a sprocket or something that will last and will do the job of keeping the chain tight.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
a skate board wheel with a groove in it is what I use! I mounted the wheel in my drill press and carved a groove a little wider than the chain and about 3/16" deep. so far and 2500 miles later , it's all good!

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i bought mine directly from baja motor sports and mounted it using chain link gate parts. the spring isnt strong enough so i used abunch of lock washers and titgened the bejesus out of it works really good also run a 2 stroke without a tensioner and havent had any problems,later frank

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
what about a clothes line wheel,there made out of metal and they have a bearing in middle,they come in diffrent sizes too,plus there cheap.i saw some at my hardware store.
but my stock tensioner works fine for now.

adventureluck

Apr 25, 2009
Wilmington, DE
Is there anything that is good that someone can simply buy and I don't have to shimmy a bunch of crap together. I mean comeon are you all telling me there's no such things as a chain tensioner that is heavy duty. We have em for motorcycles, we have em for bikes, how about for a motorized bicycle? Something that can be bought, used as is, and you have experience with it. Please.

adventureluck

Apr 25, 2009
Wilmington, DE
How the heck would yer tensioner last at all? Mine is half eaten away after 20 miles. I could put it on real loose but then the chain just falls off. I put it on tight but so it spins easily with the chain and the chain still falls off and I've got burnt rubber. Man I must be doing something wrong.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
How the heck would yer tensioner last at all? Mine is half eaten away after 20 miles. I could put it on real loose but then the chain just falls off. I put it on tight but so it spins easily with the chain and the chain still falls off and I've got burnt rubber. Man I must be doing something wrong.
I keep my chain 1/2 - 3/4" play and make sure the chain tracks straight on the tensioner wheel. Some have had to bend the bracket so the chain is not on a angel on the wheel.

I also lube my tensioner frequently usually after three to four rides even if I only go a few miles. And always after riding in the rain. I use wheel bearing grease to lube it.

I also have a motorcycle chain roller ready for when the stock wheel gives out, I have been saying that for at least a year and so far it is still going.

pic 1: Motorcycle chain roller

pic 2: Taking tensioner apart and cleaning

pic 3: Lube tensioner bolt/shaft with wheel bearing grease

pic 4: Pack wheel bearing grease inside tensioner wheel and reassemble.

pic 5: What my roller looks like with (at that time) 5,280 miles.

Attachments

adventureluck

Apr 25, 2009
Wilmington, DE
Cool I'll have to try that. I ordered the one with the ball bearings instead of just a straight screw. As well I'll lube it. Do you recommend putting the tensioner on the chain heading toward the rear wheel sprocket or away from it?

RayP

Jan 24, 2009
Florida, Gainesville
You have to put it in the chain as it goes to the back wheel, it sort of guides the chain on to the sprocket, do not forget to set it in place with a set screw into the frame so it does not move there is a lot of force on that tensioner when you slow down, leave the chain a little loose to keep everything from wearing out fast.

smokey

May 16, 2008
you can go to a bike store and get a recumbent bicycle chain guide wheel there like skateboard wheels with the groove in them and come with what you need to mount them.
as far as your chain falling off you might want to check that you put the engine,chain tensioner and drive gear on straight, if they aren't your going to have problems with your chain.

Last edited: