Wanting to do something different

GoldenMotor.com

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
You guys are not good for my health, I swear.

Been reading about this build, and that build and whatnot. And it's made me want to do something different with my bike/engine. Currently the engine is running great, sans the carb. So what I need to figure out is what I should do differently here. I can't decide if I want to sell the bike outright, and try to recoup some cash for another build. Or yank all my components off this frame, sell the frame, if that's even possible, and buy a new frame to put all my already-broken-in parts on. I think that would be easier than option 1 as I don't have to re-invent the wheel so to speak, with a new kit. I've already gotten this one broken in and running well, so it would be a matter of adapting it to a new frame.
The third option is to freshen up my current bike and try to make it a bit sportier, which, honestly I don't think I can do with my lake of resources. I was thinking about just flipping the handlebars over and going with a BTR-lite sort of look.

Any input would be nice, I'm going mad I swear. lol :):-||

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
I say flip bars or go with 11"ish ape hangers. Get yourself some front springer forks whether it be monark or the bent springer style. If you do bent springer, go ape hanger though. Also, get a different set of breaks. I am running drum front and coaster rear and it works and looks great. Maybe get some wire loom and route your cables for a cleaner look. Just my thoughts.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I'm likely going to flip the bars until I decide on what mtn bike I'm going to get. I think I've decided I'm going to freshen this bike up then later on rip it all out and put it on another bike.
I'd like to get better brakes for this one, but drums are rather expensive. lol When I get around to it I'll replace the pads for some Kool Stops.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Best thing I can suggest for a poor builder like myself is to collect every single bike you can find for parts. Cheap bikes are everywhere and I get some of my best ideas staring at junk.
You need maybe $150-$175 to buy a small welder and a grinder which allows your inner Frankenstien to run amok.
Come over to The Dark Side....Muahahahahahaha!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Now we're starting to run into the space and money thing. lol I looked at other bikes today to see what options there were. I'm thinking I want to make an off roader. I might just do a little something until i can scrape up the cash for a new bike. lol

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Has anyone tried running a 26" front and a 24" rear wheel? Kinda make it look like a dirt bike.......the 24" wheel should give a little bit more low end ummph for an off-road setup.

Just typing out loud..........

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Has anyone tried running a 26" front and a 24" rear wheel? Kinda make it look like a dirt bike.......the 24" wheel should give a little bit more low end ummph for an off-road setup.

Just typing out loud..........
Yep, I run the 24" rear wheel on my oldest build and run a 32T sprocket on it, works great, the engine is the weakest one I have with no mods to it accept a home built exhaust and a well tuned carb and it will cruise nice at 30+mph and top out at 39mph.

in the pic if you look real close you can see the Aluminium angle I used to make brake extensions so that the brakes for the 26" wheel can still be used on the 24" wheel without having to relocate the brakes mounting spot, its a bit crude and I plan to make changes to it in the future but it was a quick fix/rig to get it on the road with a rear brake, if you use a coaster brake wheel and dont use a hand brake of coarse this will not be of interest to you, but just thought I would add what I did in that case so that question would be answered in advance if thought of by someone.

as you can see my bikes stay on a dirt road a lot since I live several miles from the nearest town, always dirty and used well.... just part of country living...LOL!

Hope this answers you question.
Peace, Map

Attachments

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Interesting. I've thought about running a 24 in wheel before. I've got an old 18 speed 24" mtn bike from when I first started riding. Thought about swapping the fork onto my cruiser, but decided it wouldn't work due to the larger wheel size of the cruiser.

UNLESS IT WOULD??!!?!?!?!?!?

:D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I always run 1.95 size tires on mine. The Kenda cross type tires have given me great service and they arent to wide to work on most bike cruiser or MTB.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
My 1.95's do brush against the chain just slightly from time to time but never in anyway do the tires or the chain take on any damage , a couple of washer behind sproket on each bolt spaces the chain out approximately 1/8" to 3/16" which will give even more room if needed. Only tires I've never run on mine are the 2.25 cruiser tires but I know I can make them work with the right amount of shimming of my driven rear sprocket. I will work on that in the future , I know I would enjoy the smoother ride I would get on these rough dirt roads I have to ride for 3 miles before I get onto the highway that leads to town.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Looks nice as is, make a side car! or a nice pop up trailer for it
My fave would be a side car with a fake pvc 50 cal machine gun That'll
get you some looks hahahaha:)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
If you want a different wheel look, then go more practical- a 700c or 27 skinny wheel on the front- like a real "chopper"-
you'll feel the difference peddling right away, and the motor feels it too- a speed increase guaranteed!
recommend- a 3/4" (19mm) rim and a tire no wider than 32mm-
and then you can go (have to go) with a shorter reach LIGHTER alloy brake-

all kinds of weight savings AND a better roll. win-win.

Are those current rims steel? Definitely heavy then-

And it looks like you need a lot smaller rear sprocket for some crusin speed, sans WOT. 36 are great for normal street use, unless very hilly or very heavy.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
My 1.95's do brush against the chain just slightly from time to time but never in anyway do the tires or the chain take on any damage , a couple of washer behind sproket on each bolt spaces the chain out approximately 1/8" to 3/16" which will give even more room if needed. Only tires I've never run on mine are the 2.25 cruiser tires but I know I can make them work with the right amount of shimming of my driven rear sprocket. I will work on that in the future , I know I would enjoy the smoother ride I would get on these rough dirt roads I have to ride for 3 miles before I get onto the highway that leads to town.
My bike used to have 2.125 cruiser tires on it. It was squirmy and handled poorly. The 1.75 hybrid tires makes it more planted even though it ride rougher.
Looks nice as is, make a side car! or a nice pop up trailer for it
My fave would be a side car with a fake pvc 50 cal machine gun That'll
get you some looks hahahaha:)
Considering I've got lots of PVC sitting around, don't tempt me. lol
If you want a different wheel look, then go more practical- a 700c or 27 skinny wheel on the front- like a real "chopper"-
you'll feel the difference peddling right away, and the motor feels it too- a speed increase guaranteed!
recommend- a 3/4" (19mm) rim and a tire no wider than 32mm-
and then you can go (have to go) with a shorter reach LIGHTER alloy brake-

all kinds of weight savings AND a better roll. win-win.

Are those current rims steel? Definitely heavy then-

And it looks like you need a lot smaller rear sprocket for some crusin speed, sans WOT. 36 are great for normal street use, unless very hilly or very heavy.
Here's the thing, I'm likely going to be going a totally different route in the near future, so I can't spend a lot of money on this frame. The current rims ARE steel, yes, but if they were single wall aluminum like some guys have on here, they would have been taco'd long ago. And how can I go with a short reach brake without welding a new set of brackets onto the frame? lol The thing about the 44t sprocket is that it pulls like a train up hills. I can do 22 easy up a 25% grade. :D

Last edited: