hello from New Zealand (the pimple on the bum of the world)

GoldenMotor.com

scootersrme

Nov 8, 2012
napier, New Zealand
hello from (apparently) the art deco capital of the world.
i recently ordered & recieved a black 70cc kit.
http://www.cyclepromotors.co.nz/cycle-pro-street-70-bike-engine-kit/

it is approching summer here, temperatures are still rising, 18 deg C. today.
winters we get frosts but no snow where i am, luckily/thankfully, & at sea level.

i do have quite a few questions, & not sure where to start.

i have owned 5 scooters/mopeds in my time whilst on this planet, current is a 2006 50cc yamaha jog https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...1WHuh8BUsHDIbui-XdAgIlaPosC1S5AMZ7SOZUl4FPJ0N
which i absolutely love to death.
i have never played with carburetors/ fuel mixtures (never had to)

Q: is there any difference between silver/chrome/black chineese engines?

i want to replace HT lead & spark plug cap & boot, i can't figure out how to take off the standard one without damaging it as it is completely sealed.

i did find a replacement for the standard chinese spark plug at a lawnmower shop (after trying a motor parts store, who couldn't match it with anything)

as it is fast approching the weekend here 11:20pm friday evening, i will have to shake a leg & get some sleep, so i can (try to) be fresh for the build commencing tomorrow morning.

(lots) more questions to come i am sure.

have a good day/night where ever you are in this (not so) big wide world

.bld.

scootersrme. (aka Dave.)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Dave, welcome.

Some great questions and there are many thoughts and opinions on each. If I may, address one at a time using the search feature above. Cool part about reading threads on the each individually is that it will bring up even more questions and opinions for you.

Some amazing folks here and vast amount of information and thoughts.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I would never have thought NZ described as the pimple on the bum of the planet as there are some truly festering places best kept out of sight, but NZ is surely not one of them. I have never been there, but of the places on the planet I would like to see in person it is near the very top of the list. You are fortunate to be there, but you know that.

I don't think the color of the engine makes much difference if any. The CDI units I have had were such that the wire could be turned (unscrewed) from the unit. I have used wires & caps from automobiles with good experience. Being free the price is right, too.

Welcome to the forum. There are a few Kiwis and a number from the land of Oz. You are in good company.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum.
The newer CDIs supplied with the kits have the high voltage lead (spark plug wire) epoxied into them. They can be removed but you need to be aware that there is a small metal threaded part protruding up from the center of the terminal where the wire goes. The epoxy, glue, whatever they're using, can be scraped out and the wire unscrewed but be careful and do not damage that screw portion. That is the electrical connection that needs to go into the core of your replacement wire which will 'screw' into it. Once uncovered it will resemble the threads of a small sheetmetal or wood screw.
Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Pimple on the bum? Sounds like a Hampshire village name. And what does that make Australia?

scootersrme

Nov 8, 2012
napier, New Zealand
thank you for the warm welcome. i can't wait to get on here to see what's new & what might help me without having to post a question

well... i finally got the kit fitted today, the main problem was the pedals hitting the exhaust. Next problem, my brother has lost or broken pretty much every drill bit, luckily i have my own that i won't let him touch. Had some issues with chain & tensioner, getting stuck on drive gear, other than that the rest went together without any drama, cables are not exactly where i want them, but will play around with that tomorrow.
took it for a couple hundred meters ride up & down the road, didn't go too far just in case & it did with the chain.
have a pic of my new toy, it was dark when i took it so i hope they came out ok.
running 16:1 for first few tanks & easy on the throttle.
gonna have a beer tomorrow for my minor accomplishment.dance1http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/dfl.gif

Attachments