Silicon for sealer

GoldenMotor.com

fraser

Feb 11, 2012
Vancouver
Hello

My engine had some troubles with the magneto so got it replaced and works good now but I noticed that the gasket that the kit came with for the magneto cover is not working. The inside is caked with mud. I didn't feel like spending more money on gaskets or special sealers so I just used regular silicon around the edges of the casing. I think this will work because it does not get hot on that side of the engine but just wanted to make sure I'm not going to mess anything up.

Thanks

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It will be fine, nothing will get messed up. Don't forget to seal up where the wires go through the front of the mag housing too.

You can also clean up/ true the gasket surface with sand paper and a sanding block for the case, sand paper and thick glass for the cover. If you need to, look up how to "mill" a head on this forum and you will understand better.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Hello

My engine had some troubles with the magneto so got it replaced and works good now but I noticed that the gasket that the kit came with for the magneto cover is not working. The inside is caked with mud. I didn't feel like spending more money on gaskets or special sealers so I just used regular silicon around the edges of the casing. I think this will work because it does not get hot on that side of the engine but just wanted to make sure I'm not going to mess anything up.

Thanks
You don't have to worry about heat of the engine affecting silicone sealer. It takes high heat well.

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
It will take Hi Heat if it's the type that will, it should be a gasket making RTV (room temp vulcanizing), it will take very hi heat. If you make a new gasket using RTV **lightly** grease the engine and cover so it won't stick, put a small bead and lightly tighten it so that it's not seated, let it set and then tighten it down, you will end up with a gasket that will never leak.