Does a centrifugal clutch require a pull start?

GoldenMotor.com

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
If you take the retainer spring off the cent.fu. clutch and reverse it,
with a 180 degree twist on the end and lock it into place backwards
like that it will free wheel both ways elimanating the need for the manual
clutch, But you will not be able to peddel start. Pull start only!...POPS

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
If you take the retainer spring off the cent.fu. clutch and reverse it,
with a 180 degree twist on the end and lock it into place backwards
like that it will free wheel both ways elimanating the need for the manual
clutch, But you will not be able to peddel start. Pull start only!...POPS
That is correct, however it is especialy good to have an engine that drops to an idle fast. This way your brakes are not fighting the engine during a quick stop. I remove some metal from my clutch weights to raise my engagement/disengagement threshhold.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have noticed in leborico blog his instruction on cutting the 3 prongs down.If you have a bfg motor there all ready down far enough not griding or cutting them.
l

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I have noticed in leborico blog his instruction on cutting the 3 prongs down.If you have a bfg motor there all ready down far enough not griding or cutting them.
l
This was the case on my BGF RB80 motor, I did not need to grind the pins to install my centrifugal clutch.

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
I'm thinking about buying a centrifugal clutch from zoom bicycles. Do I also need to buy a pull start or can I pedal start it? I was thinking that the regular clutch could be used to start the motor and then the centrifugal clutch would take over.

Zoombicycles Motor Bicycle Gas Engine Kits Addon - Centrifugal Clutch (5-3) | 14-Addons (10) | 6-Parts and Accessories | RuiHong Enterprises Ltd.

Zoombicycles Motor Bicycle Gas Engine Kits Addon - Pull Start (5-1) | 14-Addons (10) | 6-Parts and Accessories | RuiHong Enterprises Ltd.
yes it does.. you cant pedal start ...

those clutches are hit and miss sometimes the bearing it rides on breaks down the middle.. from to much heat and good luck finding one.. u have to buy a whole new kit... make sure its lubed with high temp lube just alittle so it dont spin off.. and check it once and a while.... lube the pull start too the plastic catch..

other than that they are great addons.. sometimes they arent perfect and will make noise.. sometimes they dont catch the bell straight on meaning some of the clutch catches so you will have uneven wear..

when you get it take 100 grit sandpaper scuff the pads and the bell use brake cleaner to clean it off.. dont use gas gas has a residue.. or use 90% iso alcohol..

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
yes it does.. you cant pedal start ...
Okay, let's not spread misinformation. Yes, you *can* pedal start a China Girl with a centrifugal clutch, but I think what you are saying is that you should pull start instead to help prevent failure?

I put a CC on my BGF RB80 without a pull start and it bump started just fine. My wrist pin bearing blew about 100 miles later so I cannot report on the longevity of a CC when bump starting only, but it *can* be done.